Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    *really wants to start an essay with "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an inflecting noun in the specifier of IP, must be assigned nominative Case."*

Pity it's both not enitrely correct, and not all that relevant to the essay. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    *really wants to start an essay with "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an inflecting noun in the specifier of IP, must be assigned nominative Case."*
    I want you too. Err that doesn't sound right :eek3:

But I really want that comma to die die die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    I want you too. Err that doesn't sound right :eek3:

But I really want that comma to die die die
    Sorry, sticking to Austen's syntax. I'd kill it too. But perhaps the second o in your too should die die die if you want things to sound right.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, sticking to Austen's syntax. I'd kill it too. But perhaps the second o in your too should die die die if you want things to sound right.
    Too much effort :yep: There would have to be another o and an evil comma otherwise it makes me double-take.

Syntax or punctuation?

ReputationRep:
    Shoulda been "to too", no?

edit: how did it get to 2:30?

and Craggy, do you think you've scared your shadow off've Cambridge? Maybe even scarred them for life? Or did you just avoid letting on any hint of how hard you work? :p: ARGHGHG why won't the ;p; smiley show up?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Tom)

and Craggy, do you think you've scared your shadow off've Cambridge? Maybe even scarred them for life? Or did you just avoid letting on any hint of how hard you work? :p: ARGHGHG why won't the ;p; smiley show up?
    It's [s]tongue[/s] nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Yeah, though the too is optional. We have a nice ellipsis either way.

I'm finding it quite hard to take this essay seriously as I'm so hyper at the moment. It's not like it's much of a task, as I've already done all the reading and planned it, but I can't help writing joke introductions. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)

It doesn't have to be. As a response it's fine but it's clearer if there is an also/too.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, since when is it 0240?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to be. As a response it's fine but it's clearer if there is an also/too.
    Well, let's make the ellipsis explicit:

i. I want you to [start an essay with that].
    ii. I want you to (e).
    iii. I want you to [start an essay with that] too.
    iv. I want you to (e) too.

ii. and iv. both look well formed to me (as of course do i. and iii.). Oddly enough, too and to are pronounced the same for me in this context.

Anyway, there's also vi.:

v. I want you [to start an essay with that] too.
    vi. *I want you (e) too.
    vii. I want you too.

Which I judge as ungrammatical as it's interpreted as vii..

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's make the ellipsis explicit:

i. I want you to [start an essay with that].
    ii. I want you to (e).
    iii. I want you to [start an essay with that] too.
    iv. I want you to (e) too.

ii. and iv. both look well formed to me (as of course do i. and iii.). Oddly enough, too and to are pronounced the same for me in this context.

Anyway, there's also vi.:

v. I want you [to start an essay with that] too.
    vi. *I want you (e) too.
    vii. I want you too.

Which I judge as ungrammatical as it's interpreted as vii..
    I don't think I disagreed with you? They're all fine, though I think adding a stress helps.

ReputationRep:
    Syntax or punctuation?
    Hmm, I'd say both really. The odd pronunciation reflects the older syntax. But you could always argue that it's orthographic convention rather than syntax that has changed, which could be the case.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I disagreed with you? They're all fine, though I think adding a stress helps.
    No, you didn't disagree, I was just having fun.

ReputationRep:
    I have written 620 words of my dissertation tonight. I told my supervisor I'd send him a draft of around 3k tonight and obviously that hasnt happened. However, I am glad that I finally made a start. My supervision isn't till Monday afternoon so I reckon that he cant really complain so long as I send in work by Sunday morning.

All in all not too bad. I think I've made some interesting and vaguely original, nuanced arguments thus far. Lets home mr supervisor agrees!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'd say both really. The odd pronunciation reflects the older syntax. But you could always argue that it's orthographic convention rather than syntax that has changed, which could be the case.
    I'd go with convention.

ReputationRep:
    ok, just checking I wasn't being a spaz :yep:

Did you do English Language A Level? It's so hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really mean depressed? Or just less outgoing/more withdrawn?

*remembers Craggy's views of dirty Brits and adds this to the List :woo: *
    No obviously I don't know what their constant emotional states are. I'm just going on common themes that crop up in conversation. They talk about how depressing a range of things are, and how crap another range of things are :dontknow:
    And seeing as I haven't really seen any signs of depression in Cambridge other than these... I assume its just a cultural/expressive thing.

ReputationRep:
    You sneakily edited and it somehow appeared in my quote - I don't like the extra ones :mad: :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with convention.
    Actually, having drawn a mental syntax tree, I'll go with convention too.
    Did you do English Language A Level? It's so hilarious.
    Nope, biology, chemistry and double maths. I've heard mixed things about English language - what makes it so funny?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.