Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just woke up :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I just woke up :proud:
    bad llamma :whip:

---------

it's such a lovely day and im so tempted to go out but i have to write 2200 more words of dissertationy badness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    That annoys me too :hmpf:
    Is it such a crime/phenomenon for a person to actually love their subject!? :getmecoat:

Maybe I should use my custom title to vent my frustration to TSR at large:

Something like: FOR THE RECORD: THE POSTING ABOUT WORK ON TSR IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL TO THE WORK I ACTUALLY DO!

>.< I don't know how many times I've made a mental note now "never say something not meant literally in text to Craghyrax without saying "-take this as a joke-", but the resolution just never sticks.

Anyway, you yourself were jokingly worried about what a shadow would make of your workload, last I talked to you.

ReputationRep:
    The extent to which I don't understand this work at all would be funny if it wasn't in for tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    The extent to which I don't understand this work at all would be funny if it wasn't in for tomorrow...
    I handed in my Dynamics a day early because I couldn't be bothered with the effort of understanding it. Which I -do- find funny :tongue: I'll just do really well in all the other courses...

ReputationRep:
    Anyway.. the cosmic forces were in orchestration, and my shadow was the shy bookish type who loved Cambridge and enjoyed being taken to a library and given some first year SPS texts to read. She took notes...

Oh christ, that's just depressing... See this is why, although I'm a very altruistic and giving person, I haven't yet signed up for the shadowing scheme in the two years I've been here. This is partly down to the fact that its now been about 14 months since I last attended a lecture and partly down to the fact that the shadow would be forced to sit in my room while I slept till midday, then accompany me to the buttery for two hours, and then maybe get 20 minutes reading done before I settled down to watch some tv and have a nap before buttery again. Perhaps not THAT representative of Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Okay.

I'm based in Bury from Feb 16th, so it'll have to be a weekend after then, or sometime this week.
    You obviously didn't read it word by word ... I said acceptance must be by 'emails, facebook or msn'. lol... I do not know where the law current stands, both at common law or at equity, regarding acceptance by a means not explicitly stated by, but which nevertheless sufficiently satisfies the condition precedent 'virtually instantaneous', the offer....

Unfortunately this week I have engagements with the laboratory and with supervisors... the week after you come back from Bury, would, for the purposes of this contract, suffice.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Someone's shoved hundreds of trojan viruses onto my computer with is screwing all my bandwidth so i can barely use the internet. the minute i delete them it influxes hundreds more. Not impressed.

ReputationRep:

Anyway.. the cosmic forces were in orchestration, and my shadow was the shy bookish type who loved Cambridge and enjoyed being taken to a library and given some first year SPS texts to read. She took notes...
    Glad to hear that And glad to hear that she did love Cambridge.

I have just woken up :indiff: Serves me right for staying up till 3am when seriously behind on sleep.

Ah well, only, er, 7 examples papers left to do...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Cantab)
    Oh christ, that's just depressing... See this is why, although I'm a very altruistic and giving person, I haven't yet signed up for the shadowing scheme in the two years I've been here. This is partly down to the fact that its now been about 14 months since I last attended a lecture and partly down to the fact that the shadow would be forced to sit in my room while I slept till midday, then accompany me to the buttery for two hours, and then maybe get 20 minutes reading done before I settled down to watch some tv and have a nap before buttery again. Perhaps not THAT representative of Cambridge...
    :eek: Not representative is a bit of an understatement, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    :eek: Not representative is a bit of an understatement, to say the least.
    Its quite representative for History and English.

If I was either, I would probably beg a supervisor to supervise me on the Friday morning, and I'd do work on Thursday with the Shadow and then go out and do fun stuff for most of Friday... that would probably be representative... in a compromised sort of way.
    Dude. Stop jumping to conclusions. That was partly a joke!!!

Here is the shadow's experience of Cambridge:

Spoiler:
    Show

Thursday afternoon: Pickup from Emmanuel, go to Peterhouse settle into guest room, rush to a four o clock lecture about analysis of qualitative data, return to Peterhouse, go to the library together and spend some time looking up details of SPS (PPSIS) in the computer room so that shadow has an idea of the breadth of the course, meet up with other shadow in the plodge because other volunteer has a supervision overlapping with dinner, walk to Churchill college, meet up with K.T who is there without a shadow, and meet up with two other shadows and another random volunteer, have a very friendly dinner, go to a tour of Churchill college, walk back via Clare with two Clare shadows who's volunteer couldn't bring them back, return to Peterhouse, give both shadows to other Peterhouse volunteer who takes them to the bar and JCR until bed (twas late by then)

Friday: Shadow sleeps in and meets me at 10:45 before going to a first year Politics lecture on Mill lane. After lecture we try to go to Kings cafe but main entrance is shut due to snow. We go to Benets at the top of Free School Lane instead, to eat breakfast/lunch in preparation of a Sociology seminar at 12:30. Shadow suggests that the seminar doesn't sound that interesting and she might battle to concentrate after the previous lecture, and says she'd prefer to read in the library. We go around town and buy a Cambridge hoody and a Peterhouse/Cambridge scarf from R&A before going to the SPS library. I give her some first year reading that matches her A levels (Psychology and Sociology) and we read for 1hr and 30mins before heading up to the supervision. After the supervision, We return to Peterhouse and I dump all the books in my room and show her what my house/a student room looks like (towing housemate 'cos we can't be alone in rooms with them) Then we took some Cambridge Hub flyers to the plodge and tried to pidgeon hole them. I give her a tour of Peterhouse, Pembroke, Corpus Christi, Queens, Trinity, St Johns. Rush back to Peterhouse because Hall is early due to a feast. Meet up with other shadow and other volunteer scurries off to get dressed for the feast. Shadows and I disperse to freshen up. We pop into Clare Cellars (to give them a peek) go on to ADC, buy Road tickets, then look around Jesus college and go to Clowns,then to ADC for most of Road, then leave a bit before the end to get to Downing college for Footlights. After Footlights we return to Peterhouse and get some drinks at the bar and head up to the fortuitously empty JCR where we play haphazard and mutually amateur pool till it shuts after midnight. Shadows disappear to rooms yawning.
    Saturday: Shadows wake up, pack, get their stuff out for 9:30 and we took them to the Bateman Auditorium for their Admissions speech and shuttle service to the station.
    Shadows claimed to have loved it. They started at Emmanuel and left from Gonville and Caius, so saw loads of colleges. And Churchill at least stops them assuming all the colleges are old and pretty. (I also pointed out Selwyn, Newnham, Robinson as we went past)
    One of the Shadows said she would never even have thought of applying here and now she wants to, and I overheard the other one excitedly talking to her mother on the phone insisting that Cambridge was the best University and place in the world.

I didn't feel like describing the above at whatever time in the morning I was on TSR, and I've just woken up after catching up on alot of sleep.
    (Original post by Tom)
    >.< I don't know how many times I've made a mental note now "never say something not meant literally in text to Craghyrax without saying "-take this as a joke-", but the resolution just never sticks.

Anyway, you yourself were jokingly worried about what a shadow would make of your workload, last I talked to you.
    Yeh don't worry, you were very obviously teasing me, I just felt in a ranty mood. I think the shadows both got the impression me and my volunteer work a bit because we both had times where we needed to get on with it, but I explained to the shadow that work always peaks just before the supervision and then straight afterwards you chill out and ignore it for awhile again Which is precisely what happened yesterday after the supervision. And the other volunteer rows and is on the Varsity pool team, so that was good.

ReputationRep:
    I meant it was depressing that they enjoyed being taken to a library. I might just do a 'Tom' and back away slowly...

ReputationRep:
    I just saw a woman in Cambridge who appears to have made a coat out of profesh. It was a pink colour leather, with long (about 3 inch) tufts of ginger hair down the arms, round the cuffs and on the collar. It was quite possibly the most hideous coat I have ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    I meant it was depressing that they enjoyed being taken to a library. I might just do a 'Tom' and back away slowly...
    Probably wise. People are allowed to have different personalities and different lifestyle preferences. Variety is probably a good thing. I'm depressed by people who are compelled to frequently drink themselves into a stupor! :dontknow: This reminds me of the NEEKs thread in Oxbridge a month or two ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I just saw a woman in Cambridge who appears to have made a coat out of profesh. It was a pink colour leather, with long (about 3 inch) tufts of ginger hair down the arms, round the cuffs and on the collar. It was quite possibly the most hideous coat I have ever seen.
    :puke: Did she look like a tourist?

Argh - I don't want to get off TSR and go to the gym

ReputationRep:
    :puke: Did she look like a tourist?

Argh - I don't want to get off TSR and go to the gym
    Yeah, she was talking Russian and taking a photo of that map on top of a bollard outside great st mary's

ReputationRep:
    Ah Craggy, I'm glad the Peterhouse shadows had a good time, I'm not too sure whether the Jesus ones did or not :s

I saw you this morning at Caius as I was shepherding the shadows towards the bit up the stairs where they put their suitcases... I was the random person vaguely smiling at you despite not introducing myself!! (potentially looking a bit ill and grumpy!)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    People are allowed to have different personalities and different lifestyle preferences. Variety is probably a good thing.
    I completely agree, but I've always found it's something not many people seem to appreciate.

I'm depressed by people who are compelled to frequently drink themselves into a stupor! :dontknow:
    Or you could look at it from a more positive point of view and be happy that you're not one of those people. :yep:

PS: OK, that's it, no more procrastination for today: :work:

ReputationRep:
    My request from last night has got lost, so I'll repeat it here.

Does anyone know the approximate dates for the exams? I've had a request for a ceilidh and I'm not sure whether it'll fall right in the middle of them or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    My request from last night has got lost, so I'll repeat it here.

Does anyone know the approximate dates for the exams? I've had a request for a ceilidh and I'm not sure whether it'll fall right in the middle of them or not.
    25th May to 9th June is the exam period. Not sure about individual exams though.

My engineer friend said engineering exams are normally right at the beginning of the exam period.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.