Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    FTB is a legend by the way, he lent me a book on steam trains weeks ago, which is now providing 80% of my information for my presentation on monday :p:

I'll pass it on!

(Original post by Scipio90)
    :wavey:

Either I saw James and Amy today, or I surprised some people on a narrowboat by frantically waving at them when I should have been rowing...
    Apologies for messing up your stroke the other day! My waving so enthusiastically from the boat seemed to compell you to do the same, and take your hands off the blade! Sorry! We were taking my dad for his first ever cruise on the Duck.

So nice to see my dad though! He was going to buy me flowers for when he arrived, but didn't find any good ones on the way. So I said: can you use the money to buy some coal instead? So he bought us three bags of coal :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    There's no real secret, although it probably helps to be a night owl sort in the first place - after that, it just gets easier with practice. I've realised my timeclock is set to 48-hour days at the moment...
    :ditto:
    Downside is the day after :shifty:

Generally, KT.. if its just one deadline, there's not enough motivation to pull an all nighter. If after your deadline, another three follow in the next four days however.. then sleep suddenly isn't an option :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    So nice to see my dad though! He was going to buy me flowers for when he arrived, but didn't find any good ones on the way. So I said: can you use the money to buy some coal instead? So he bought us three bags of coal :love:
    Sensible man :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for messing up your stroke the other day! My waving so enthusiastically from the boat seemed to compell you to do the same, and take your hands off the blade!
    The worrying thing was that that stroke was a lot better than some of the ones I was doing with two hands. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sensible man :yes:
    indeed! although he's more into your kind of boats than ours so he thought the whole narrowboating thing was pretty bizarre!

He was implying that you thought it was too big, and was pointing out that the last time that a file of that size would be considered too large for an internet connection was around 1999
    Or if you have mobile broadband and are out in the middle of the fens!

The worrying thing was that that stroke was a lot better than some of the ones I was doing with two hands.
    lol. What did the rest of your crew think? Or did you not tell them that you were waving to your random internet friends? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if any of you listen to Radio 1, but this was brilliant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1kjkUAA9VM

ReputationRep:
    lol. What did the rest of your crew think? Or did you not tell them that you were waving to your random internet friends? :p:
    Nobody actually mentioned it, which I'm surprised at, since I don't think I was waving particularly subtly :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Don't know if any of you listen to Radio 1, but this was brilliant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1kjkUAA9VM
    EPIC WIN.

ReputationRep:
    right, off to get some printing credit so I can print my boat's EA licence number large enough to be seen from 15m away on both sides...

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how little sleep you guys seems to get - I tried to pull an all-nighter on Saturday, but crashed at about 1am :/

What's your secret?
    Fear of the consequences of not getting work done. And I'm normally nocturnal. Although my DoS has told me that I shouldn't work past 11pm, whatever happens, so I'm going to follow her advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    What a :poo:
    Meh, the tone's unpleasant but he does have something of a point.

And I'm amazed this thread has even one Tory.

And Ukebert I feel your presentation pain. Do you know if it's going to be really strictly timed or can you afford to go over a bit, if it's interesting?

Presentation I did on Thursday was meant to be 10mins. I didn't think the time limit would be strictly enforced so just talked as long as seemed right (e.g. didn't time it). Ppl told me after I went on for 18 mins :eek: Now praying marks don't get deducted.

What's old and what's new in globalization?
    That's a great essay title, though

(multi-answer post so I d9on't spam loads. You ppl make pages in this thread far too fast to reply to them sensibly :/

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, also I tried Keybored but it fails :/ It can't keep up with the speed I type at at all....the notes are all a second or so out of sync, getting more so the longer I type, and it keeps playing for a second or more after I stop.

It's a cool idea, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Meh, the tone's unpleasant but he does have something of a point.
    Hey I've got the tshirt for feeling really irritated with stupid threads and questions about applying to Cambridge that the person wouldn't have asked if they'd thought about it for ten seconds straight :dry: However I don't think its exactly going to help or improve matters for me to insult people for being really emotional and panicky about things. Even very careful people make blonde errors with admin - it wasn't exactly benefitting anyone to hear that he thinks people are not worth the paperwork just because they mess up or feel uncertain about the process.

To put it another way - if anyone's going to snap at the applicants for being irritatingly stupid about some very basic things, I'd rather it was one of the current students as a reward for all the long periods of tongue biting and patient answers, rather than some person who felt like dropping in from outside of the forum and letting everyone know that they were lame before going on his merry way :rolleyes: :p: Warped logic I know :o:

(Original post by Tom)
    And I'm amazed this thread has even one Tory.
    One former McCain supporter too :p:
    (Original post by Tom)
    That's a great essay title, though
    I'll feel more convinced after I finish :shifty:

Btw I'm going ahead with my project idea I talked to an academic today and she said it sounded like a great idea and said she'd supervise me if I couldn't find anyone else :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Btw I'm going ahead with my project idea I talked to an academic today and she said it sounded like a great idea and said she'd supervise me if I couldn't find anyone else :eek:
    Woo, congratulations

ReputationRep:
    Woo, congratulations
    Thanks

I'm also going to nap before dinner because I'm too tired to work :o:

ReputationRep:
    indeed! although he's more into your kind of boats than ours so he thought the whole narrowboating thing was pretty bizarre!
    Very sensible man :p:

ReputationRep:
    Very sensible man :p:
    You and he would get on very well, I'm sure!

ReputationRep:

Very glad to hear it Congratulations! It must be gratifying to find that your ideas are worth pursuing I hope that you enjoy it and get some sleep iin the process

(Original post by Tom)
    And Ukebert I feel your presentation pain. Do you know if it's going to be really strictly timed or can you afford to go over a bit, if it's interesting?

Presentation I did on Thursday was meant to be 10mins. I didn't think the time limit would be strictly enforced so just talked as long as seemed right (e.g. didn't time it). Ppl told me after I went on for 18 mins :eek: Now praying marks don't get deducted.
    Ouchie Well I hope they don't

My supervisor emailed me half an hour before the session to say that I didn't have to do it today after all. Inconsiderate *******. Anyway, from watching the others it doesn't look like timing is incredibly harshly enforced, but I shouldn't go over by more than a minute. This is doable. I really do find air brakes fascinating though, it's rather a relief that I can still be enthusiastic about some part of Engineering :o:

Speaking of which, we had a fantastic Mechanics lecture today I really like mech at the moment, even though I can't do velocity diagrams for toffee. There was a lovely snub at structures people, as usual.

Speaking of which :p: I had the worst supervision ever today. My supervision partner suddenly exhibited ann in-depth knowledge of structural mechanics, and I forgot how to take moments. And my supervisor is too bloody good by half. He's ayoung chap, so knows what it's like being in our position. This means that he knows when I'm just saying yes, of course, I understand, etc. in order to get the thing over with so that I can sleep go on TSR, and immediately says "So explain it to me then". MyGod what a nightmare.

Still, only one supervision left foor the day :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of which :p: I had the worst supervision ever today. My supervision partner suddenly exhibited ann in-depth knowledge of structural mechanics, and I forgot how to take moments. And my supervisor is too bloody good by half. He's ayoung chap, so knows what it's like being in our position. This means that he knows when I'm just saying yes, of course, I understand, etc. in order to get the thing over with so that I can sleep go on TSR, and immediately says "So explain it to me then". MyGod what a nightmare.
    Still, only one supervision left foor the day :rolleyes:
    omg i know exactly what you mean. i hate it when that happens. its so embarassing too. well at least i know im not the only one....

well ive done 200 words of my essay, just wish i could multiply that number by 10. then i'd be done!!!!! well it would help if i even had a mild interest in this topic...

ReputationRep:
    I went to my lecture thinking it started at 5pm when it started at 4pm. Am annoyed as I really enjoy those lectures

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.