Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    This one is slightly different, if you read the article. Non partisan, for a start.
    I can't speak for other people, but I was never bothered about which stance CUSU was being coerced into taking - the thing that angered me the most (as it still does about that article) was that people were trying to force CUSU to take a stance at all. He explains it perfectly himself: the Union is the place for that (which he counters only by saying "well, I'm not a member"), and there's no way CUSU could be representative of the student body (which I don't think he ever counters) - it's important to my mind that CUSU doesn't claim to be representative of us all and then go and give an opinion that splits us all in two.

(For those who can't see the results of the poll...)

Here are the demands issued by the protesters, followed by the proportion of (non-abstaining) votes in agreement with each demand, out of 2726 replies to each so far:

1. I believe that Cambridge University should issue a statement which condemns Israel's attack on educational institutions. (39%)
    2. I believe that Cambridge University should provide academic aid to universities in Gaza. (49%)
    3. I believe that Cambridge University should commit to fundraising for humanitarian aid in Gaza. (51%)
    4. I believe that Cambridge University should grant scholarships to Palestinian students every year. (28%)
    5. I believe that Cambridge and its colleges should disinvest from the arms trade. (74%)
    6. I believe that no student should face punishment or repercussions, legal or otherwise, for participating in the occupation of the law faculty. (56%)

So whatever stance CUSU takes on those six demands, even if they follow the results of the poll exactly, they will (necessarily) disagree with at least 49% of the student body on at least one of those points. That's hardly representative...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    you don't know what QI is?!?! It's a Quiz Show hosted by Stephen Fry.

And it's worth a shot... I don't think I'll even last next week tbh though.

And how do I show a bounded convex function on an open interval is continuous?! Aaaargh. EDIT: No, wait, I think I've got it.
    Doesn't "convex" => "twice differentiable" => "continuous"? :confused: Maybe my definition of convex is different to yours...

ReputationRep:
    i have written 1641 words of my dissertation. woo. i think i will call it a night and somehow try and write the rest of the 1300 words by early tomorrow evening which is quite doable. The only problem is I told my supervisor I'd send it to him last night. My supervsion is on monday afternoon. I'm quite happy to have him postpone it by a day so he can have more time to read it but im embarassed to sugegst it to him coz i've out my supo back a couple of times now and im scared he kinda expects around 5k rather than 3k :o:

that said i'm rather chuffed with what ive written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Doesn't "convex" => "twice differentiable" => "continuous"? :confused: Maybe my definition of convex is different to yours...
    Well ok, technically the question is showing that a function with the property f(AVG(x,y))<=AVG(f(x),f(y)) is continuous; a function which I have deduced is 'convex'. (ie b>=a whenever a<=b). And because I don't know it's continuous, I can't differentiate it.

EDIT: Where AVG means the bog standard mean.

ReputationRep:
    Damn you, Thicky :hmpf: I wasn't going to stay up!
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I'm very surprised you haven't heard of it.
    I've heard this line an astonishingly high number of times for my short life.
    Perhaps because I don't often have discussions with people about culture or media.

ReputationRep:
    Damn you, Thicky :hmpf: I wasn't going to stay up!

I've heard this line an astonishingly high number of times for my short life.
    Perhaps because I don't often have discussions with people about culture or media.
    :hahaha: :boing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    :hahaha: :boing:
    :reaper:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Well ok, technically the question is showing that a function with the property f(AVG(x,y))<=AVG(f(x),f(y)) , which I have deduced is 'convex'. (ie b>=a whenever a<=b). And because I don't know it's continuous, I can't differentiate it.
    Oh, I see. Do you want hints? (If I can do the question myself!)

ReputationRep:
    :reaper:
    Surely I get points for most apposite smilies ever! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Oh, I see. Do you want hints? (If I can do the question myself!)
    Bleurgh, well first of all input into my description that the point of the question is to show that the function is continuous on an interval - you quoted me before the edit :tongue:

And I think I've got it... I had to look up the 'Squeeze theorem', and showed that f was squished between two chords and so f was continuous at their arbitrary meeting point. I just hope we get taught the squeeze theorem in lectures at some point so I don't have to prove it?

ReputationRep:
    And now I think I'll go to bed. I'm not even tired, just bored

ReputationRep:
    :goodnight:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Bleurgh, well first of all input into my description that the point of the question is to show that the function is continuous on an interval - you quoted me before the edit :tongue:

And I think I've got it... I had to look up the 'Squeeze theorem', and showed that f was squished between two chords and so f was continuous at their arbitrary meeting point. I just hope we get taught the squeeze theorem in lectures at some point so I don't have to prove it?
    Hmm, I'm not sure - that's certainly not the way I'd do it, but I'm not gonna say you're wrong without looking at your proof. :tongue: Alright, night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    And now I think I'll go to bed. I'm not even tired, just bored
    :sad: Truth or Dare :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    :goodnight:
    Oi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Oi!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=8707

ReputationRep:

Bugger that, send it to Oxbridge Essays and I'll send them a cheque :tongue: get some King's SPS PhD to do it for ya :cool:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So, I'm ploughing through a "complex analysis" worksheet, and so far it's pure symbol-pushing. Who else is up? And to those of you who are up, what are you up to? :tongue:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by squeezebox)
    I've just been woken up by my ******* neighbour :hmpf:

How is complex analysis? I might give up on sleep and start probability 2.
    I've only done three questions so far, but they seem absolutely trivial. Just like the lectures. :confused: It's really odd. I'm literally going through it and just writing stuff down and it's coming out right. I'm sure it'll get harder later (I could never do power series), but still... this doesn't feel like analysis of any kind.

ReputationRep:
    Had halfway hall. That was fun. Am currently suffering the affliction of such notables of Scipio and so on, but managing to get out my thoughts. Only a year and a half to go, now...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.