The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8940

Meh. If you spend all your time pandering to the kind of people who go around looking for things to take offence at, you'd never get anything done.
love_one
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my fears that the nightlife/parties at Cambridge would be boring/ there wouldn't be much to do but everyone reassured me :smile:

It depends on what you're into really, Formal followed by Cindies isn't exactly everyone's idea of fun, but you'll find out when you get here. :yep:

love_one
Can't wait to start actually studying some detailed and interesting economics. I'm not a big fan about the way the A level is taught or the syllabus content.
It's very methodical, not really much room for creative or independent thinking.

Hmm, it's certainly different and more interesting, not so sure about the 'creative or independent thinking'. Again, you'll find out soon enough. :smile:
Reply 8942
Y__
Ah yes. I'm clearly not in a good shape today :biggrin: .

Not enough endorphins :tongue:
Thicky

I keep reading that word as "endomorphisms". :confused:
How to tell a biochemist from a mathmo part 1:
Thicky

generalebriety
Reply 8945
generalebriety

Dude you're such a mondoid :tongue:

:rolleyes:

:redface:
Reply 8946
Thicky
Dude you're such a mondoid :tongue:

:rolleyes:

:redface:

Don't tempt me use the old convergence joke on you :tongue: !
Reply 8947
smilepea
ooh exciting times! :jive: which sheet?

Probability 2.

And what is it with me and supervisions? They are all completely useless. Walking for 25 minutes to the CMS then another 25 back again was not worth it for that hour of pretending to be awake and saying 'yeah' every 30 seconds. I didn't even care enough to notice what question he was supposedly solving ffs.
Reply 8948
Stupid electronics.
Reply 8949
I suppose I need to go now, but if any mathmo has done VC2 Q6, it would be very nice if you could confirm that it is actually NOT solenoidal and I'm therefore not an idiot. (well, I guess disagreeing with me would be okay too :tongue: . )
Reply 8950
Y__
Don't tempt me use the old convergence joke on you :tongue: !

We have discussed the quality of your nerdy jokes before :yep: :wink:
Y__
I suppose I need to go now, but if any mathmo has done VC2 Q6, it would be very nice if you could confirm that it is actually NOT solenoidal and I'm therefore not an idiot. (well, I guess disagreeing with me would be okay too :tongue: . )

Err, it looks pretty trivially solenoidal to me. :tongue: Take its divergence, and all the terms magically cancel out. Then notice that curl(0, 0, psi) = (d(psi)/dy, -d(psi)/dx, 0) and just solve the easy coupled PDEs.
Supergrunch
Hmm, maybe. I really ought to learn a V2 language properly at some stage.

And I should learn at least one other European language properly at some stage... French doesn't seem to be going well; my active vocabulary is very poor, and my passive vocabulary isn't great either... I don't even know the weekdays.
Reply 8953
generalebriety
Err, it looks pretty trivially solenoidal to me. :tongue: Take its divergence, and all the terms magically cancel out. Then notice that curl(0, 0, psi) = (d(psi)/dy, -d(psi)/dx, 0) and just solve the easy coupled PDEs.

Ah yes, it obviously is. I took the wrong partial derivatives before. Thanks...
Reply 8954
Because I have an infinite amount of spare time, I have discovered that question 12 on your DE1 is the same as a question on one of our examples sheets.
Zhen Lin
And I should learn at least one other European language properly at some stage... French doesn't seem to be going well; my active vocabulary is very poor, and my passive vocabulary isn't great either... I don't even know the weekdays.

For the purposes of linguistics, a romance language would probably be best, but V2s are also pretty interesting. My French is passable (poor active vocab, reasonable passive), and my Spanish less so (poor active and passive vocab), but I want to learn things from more interesting groups (i.e. languages that are less like English) when I get a chance. Incidentally, I was explaining how Japanese orthography worked to my supervisor today, and she couldn't believe how insane it was. Explaining it all in one go makes you see what a bad writing system it really is. :tongue:
Zoedotdot
Emma's getting bad press for our May Ball theme :frown:

I'm not surprised, to be fair. They didn't even book us :wink:

I have proved again that I am incapable of having a pleasant supervision. I feel physically ill.
Floods! Argh! Ahd to leave work early in state of stress when I saw the river levels had risen so much at lunch
Reply 8958
floods? where???
Reply 8959
The river? ...

Latest

Trending

Trending