The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9320
Damnit!

No chocolate :bawling:
Reply 9321
I'm not even grumpy/depressed this Valentine's day coz I've got fun stuff planned and just generally feel happy. Tbh Oxford want me, who cares if stinky men don't? :ninja:

Well that's what I'm telling myself anyway :puppyeyes:
FadedJade
Go and find a girl and borrow her hair dryer - it works wonders.

edit: great timing.

Yeah, it probably would have worked if I had more than 30s in which to dry it. Walk up past the sidgewick site - uncomfortable. Gig was good though, if incredibly long. I am shattered.

Gesar

I've yet to meet any Peterhouse, christ's or John's mathmos :sad:

Peterhouse mathmos are nice :smile:

smilepea
One of my rugby coaches is in it :smile:

and some of the pics from the initiations have made it onto facebook all ready :redface:

Oh, do you know Anne? PhD student at Murray Edwards.

Oh hell it's valentine's day. I don't mind the idea of the celebration, but I hate it being stuffed down everybody's throats.

Now, the real question is, do I go to sleep now, wake up when I have had enough sleep and so have enough energy to do work and screw up my sleep patterns at infinitum, or do I get myself 6 or 7 hours and so be tired but have a reasonable sleeping time? Not a difficult choice to make.
Reply 9323
Haha, Valentine's Day. A short reminder that all the girls I've been seriously interested in in the last months were already taken. I'm not too fussed about that at the moment though because the amount of work that needs to be done is a far bigger problem right now, which would not be solved by a girlfriend, either :tongue:
Zhen Lin
Oxymoronically, though, the native terms for the verb-like adjectives and the noun-like adjectives are reversed: the latter are known as keiyōdōshi, which may be translated as "adjectivial verb". I am inclined to treat the "real" adjectives (known as keiyōshi) as verbs as well - for instance, the syntax for modifying an NP with a relative clause or an adjective is essentially the same.

That's odd, because despite being called keiyōdōshi they're clearly just nouns with a modifying na particle. The other ones are pretty much unarguably verbs among syntacticians if I'm to believe my DoS, and I think anyone thinking about it enough would come to the same conclusion. It's not just the way they conjugate for tense or modify NPs - they also end sentences in the same manner as verbs, and they're bound to act as theta-assigning heads. All of which suggests a third class of verb, with possibly some kind of grammaticalization process involved somewhere - would need to look more at historical Japanese.

On an unrelated note, it turns out our library's copy of Bloomfield's Language is ex libris I. A. Richards. I found that kind of cool.
Reply 9325
Actually, I need a bf. Why? Because I'd save on a gym membership. Apparently kissing burn 26 cals a minute (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1142499/How-perfect-kiss-Follow-advice-youll-smooching-confidence-Valentines-Day.html) - that' like twice as much as I burn on the cross trainer in a minute. What the ****?
Reply 9326
minimo
Actually, I need a bf. Why? Because I'd save on a gym membership. Apparently kissing burn 26 cals a minute (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1142499/How-perfect-kiss-Follow-advice-youll-smooching-confidence-Valentines-Day.html) - that' like twice as much as I burn on the cross trainer in a minute. What the ****?

Ah, but you see, you have to have an MSc in making up random numbers from the University of Greater Dumbshire to work for the Daily Mail. Which would actually explain this.
Reply 9327
Y__
Ah, but you see, you have to have an MSc in making up random numbers from the University of Greater Dumbshire to work for the Daily Mail. Which would actually explain this.

haha you're right
http://www.dailymuscle.com/2006/05/12/lets-talk-about-sex-and-calories/

the things i google when i'm bored.
Reply 9328
minimo
that' like twice as much as I burn on the cross trainer in a minute. What the ****?

Yeh, was just thinking that can't be right.
I should get to bed rather than email may ball people
Reply 9330
Wow! Epic failure to do the work :shifty:

:goodnight:
Craghyrax
Happy Valentines Day everyone.. and to all who are irritated/annoyed by it, I totally empathise.

It's just another day to me, but for everyone who it means something more to I hope you have a good day. :yep:
I've just been berated by my friend down the phone for not being entirely anti-Valentines Day. I like sentimental smooshy stuff though :smile:
Churchill spring ball was great! I met Excalibur and Jigglypuff. I'm slightly annoyed they didn't print my full name in the programme, though the description was nice: "Gifted mellow singer/songwriter with an incredible voice"
The Union Valentine's ball was great! I met loads of nice people, so even though i went there on my own I always seemed to be in a crowd of friendly people wanting to introduce themselves to me :smile:

I won the poker, which is a £200 voucher for a tailor's to spend on a ball gown, and even though I locked myself out my housemate was still up and I'd somehow not managed to shut my own door properly so i could get in! Score!

Only bad thing about the ball is that it went on til 3, and pretty much everything shut up at 1pm, then there was footlights, then everyone left. There was still an hour to go!
The West Wing
Churchill spring ball was great! I met Excalibur and Jigglypuff. I'm slightly annoyed they didn't print my full name in the programme, though the description was nice: "Gifted mellow singer/songwriter with an incredible voice"

Good to hear that you enjoyed it, and the description is perfectly accurate. :yep:
The West Wing

:yep: It was the first time I heard you sing, but my friends & I plus everyone else I've spoken to thought you were brilliant! Sorry I didn't come and speak to you more - I was probably fairly tipsy by that point. Did you manage to find your guitar?

The ball was great, but it was just absolutely FREEZING. And I got back at four, and am writing this at half nine because of Saturday lectures. Dedication or what? :wink:
Reply 9337
ukebert

Peterhouse mathmos are nice :smile:

Oh, do you know Anne? PhD student at Murray Edwards.

yes yes they are :smile: (although I've only met 4 of them)

Is she northern and doing brain science? then yes yes I do :smile: how do you know her?

I gave my college husband a gift on facebook, he best do something nice in return or he'll be in for it :tongue:
Reply 9338
smilepea
I gave my college husband a gift on facebook, he best do something nice in return or he'll be in for it :tongue:

I just tried to do the same for my college wife. You have to buy credits?! I am not impressed with facebook.
Reply 9339
Where is everyoneeeee?

Latest

Trending

Trending