Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I do that all the time. I open a pack then just finish it. I internally justify it by "I've been erging some time in the last week".
    Erging is a great excuse to eat bad foods. I did a longer one (ok, only 20 mins but it felt long enough, and I hurt enough) and then proceeded to eat 5 (FIVE!) jam doughnuts.

Clare Comedy tonight. Hopefully we'll be able to techie it and get in free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    really? really? cos I'm just starting to look at it and all of it seems alien to me, I guess it's my own fault for constantly falling asleep in lectures but I actually physically can't seem to keep myself awake. And I have to get it done by 3 as I've got rugby training. ****. and there is nothing, and I mean nothing, in me that wants to do it, just nothing at all.
    Oh, it's alien to me as well. By 'easy' I meant a little bit of thought needed, and lots of notes to the supervisor saying 'What the hell do I do with the h's and delta-q's?' or 'What does u.del even mean?'

And motivation is low on the ground for me as well. Only got questions 10,11 and 7 to do (not doing 12, and a hell of a lot of the other stuff is wrong) but I just feel my life would be happier if I left it alone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    They are awesome, make efforts to meet them This would be him: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=119677 (the boy in the picture...), in case you've seen him, although he hasn't actually been to a lecture in something like two weeks so you probably haven't. The others are really cool too though

Bah, my alarm was meant to go off at 9. My unstarted essay is due in 35 minutes. Poopybrains.
    I shall try, but meeting people in lectures is difficult because half the people I end up next to are stereotypical mathmos. And I'm pretty sure I recognise him from t'interview, actually.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    'What does u.del even mean?'
    Trust me - you'll fly through the course if you don't ask yourself questions like this. :tongue: (u.del is a "directional derivative", defined by (u.del)f = u.(grad f), i.e. "treat everything as a vector and ignore brackets" - as usual. It doesn't mean anything to me, and is probably just some **** some physicists have made up.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Oh, it's alien to me as well. By 'easy' I meant a little bit of thought needed, and lots of notes to the supervisor saying 'What the hell do I do with the h's and delta-q's?' or 'What does u.del even mean?'

And motivation is low on the ground for me as well. Only got questions 10,11 and 7 to do (not doing 12, and a hell of a lot of the other stuff is wrong) but I just feel my life would be happier if I left it alone...
    well I've done half of q1 (well less then that tbh) and like a quarter of q2 and I honestly, honestly don't see me doing any more at all. I don't know maybe I'll do something else, I'll see if my friend is in downstairs I think. It's **** this is what I'm meant to be good at, and I thought I understood it but I really really don't seem to.

I've just spent the last hr on the phone to my parents, crying, and I'm so not going to rugby, I just want to sleep, oh and see my best friend but he'll be with his girlfriend, so I can't.

Just leave it then, I'm sure that what you've done will be fine :yep:

oh yer and to add what GB said, del always works on the thing to the right, I think if you know that in theory you should be able to do most of the crap
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    well I've done half of q1 (well less then that tbh) and like a quarter of q2 and I honestly, honestly don't see me doing any more at all. I don't know maybe I'll do something else, I'll see if my friend is in downstairs I think. It's **** this is what I'm meant to be good at, and I thought I understood it but I really really don't seem to.

I've just spent the last hr on the phone to my parents, crying, and I'm so not going to rugby, I just want to sleep, oh and see my best friend but he'll be with his girlfriend, so I can't.

Eesh, you alright? What's up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I shall try, but meeting people in lectures is difficult because half the people I end up next to are stereotypical mathmos. And I'm pretty sure I recognise him from t'interview, actually.
    Yeah, the Emma lot are a big fat pile of failure at going to lectures anyway. Well, the half that live on my staircase are, I'm pretty sure the others are much better. There was one day when they were all running round trying to find notes because they'd all skipped the lectures and panicking because no-one had any!

Oooh, I forgot you were originally an Emma kiddo Were you interviewed on the 4th? His were in the morning I was interviewed then too, but I didn't meet him, probably because I spent the whole day chatting to the 15 or so linguists who were there. Amusingly, out of that many linguists, most of whom were female and private schooled, two boys and a comprehensive student got in :rolleyes: Crazy world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Eesh, you alright? What's up?
    in a word no, and what's right yields a quicker answer of: right now nothing

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: I've done far too much of the first recently, I know how you feel... Have things not gotten better at all then?

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: I've done far too much of the first recently, I know how you feel... Have things not gotten better at all then?
    hugs to all the miserable ppl - I had a massive cry down the phone a few days ago.

zoe/linguist people - does the MML library have a box somewhere to deposit books on a sunday?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry to hear that. :hugs: I can sympathise as I've been through times like that as well.

ReputationRep:
    not really (actually no), I've been trying to stay positive as my DoS won't let me swap but it's hard, and everything's just hit me again today, I've made it to the stage where I actually don't feel like moving

ReputationRep:
    not really (actually no), I've been trying to stay positive as my DoS won't let me swap but it's hard, and everything's just hit me again today, I've made it to the stage where I actually don't feel like moving
    Are you not going to be able to swap next year? One of my friends is having a really tough time as well, but has decided not to degrade - she's sticking it out with architecture til October and then switching to History of Art.

(Original post by minimo)
    Linguisty question
    Ermermerm, I'm not sure, I actually barely use the MML library to take books out of and Sidg is too far away for me to ever consider taking books back on a Sunday, if they're late I'll just pay the fine rather than taking 40 minutes out of my day for a round trip. I'm sure a keener linguist will know though :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    H seems to have a real gift for seeming to make sense until you actually think about what he's doing. And question 1 is a joke. I even left a note to the supervisor about finding the curl of the last thing given saying 'Do I -really- have to do this?'

oh yer and to add what GB said, del always works on the thing to the right, I think if you know that in theory you should be able to do most of the crap
    :hug: Sorry about how crap you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Trust me - you'll fly through the course if you don't ask yourself questions like this. :tongue: (u.del is a "directional derivative", defined by (u.del)f = u.(grad f), i.e. "treat everything as a vector and ignore brackets" - as usual. It doesn't mean anything to me, and is probably just some **** some physicists have made up.)
    But the thing (u.del) is acting on -is- a vector :sad:

But yes, it probably is quite easy, but life is nicer if I don't do it :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Are you not going to be able to swap next year? One of my friends is having a really tough time as well, but has decided not to degrade - she's sticking it out with architecture til October and then switching to History of Art.

Ermermerm, I'm not sure, I actually barely use the MML library to take books out of and Sidg is too far away for me to ever consider taking books back on a Sunday, if they're late I'll just pay the fine rather than taking 40 minutes out of my day for a round trip. I'm sure a keener linguist will know though :tongue:
    Ha, I only ask coz I'm going to West Road today and will also be at Sidg and I'm lazy to go tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the Emma lot are a big fat pile of failure at going to lectures anyway. Well, the half that live on my staircase are, I'm pretty sure the others are much better. There was one day when they were all running round trying to find notes because they'd all skipped the lectures and panicking because no-one had any!

Oooh, I forgot you were originally an Emma kiddo Were you interviewed on the 4th? His were in the morning I was interviewed then too, but I didn't meet him, probably because I spent the whole day chatting to the 15 or so linguists who were there. Amusingly, out of that many linguists, most of whom were female and private schooled, two boys and a comprehensive student got in :rolleyes: Crazy world.
    Haha. The Queens' lot are pretty good on the whole at attending lectures, though in all honesty we're pretty crap at the actual maths.

No... I was interviewed on the 14th, I think. If not the 14th, then definitely the 4th, as it had a four in. So - maybe I was interviewed on the same day :tongue: I didn't actually talk to anyone at my interview. By the time I arrived all the people were in suits and chummy with each other, so I steered clear. Made waiting for my last interview rather dull as my two friends being interviewed on the same day had gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Ha, I only ask coz I'm going to West Road today and will also be at Sidg and I'm lazy to go tomorrow
    Yeesss, fair enough Well, I honestly have no idea, sorry! I think perhaps this is a sign that I should be using the MML library more... Although I always have almost all the books I need in the Emma library, so never mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    H seems to have a real gift for seeming to make sense until you actually think about what he's doing. And question 1 is a joke. I even left a note to the supervisor about finding the curl of the last thing given saying 'Do I -really- have to do this?'

:hug: Sorry about how crap you feel.
    I'm going to not think then this is a good idea defo.

thanks, and thanks everyone, I am grateful for your support even if it doesn't seem like it

I don't know all I can seem to get from my DoS is a we'll see what happens at the end of the year or words to that effect. but I need a 2.i to switch ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Haha. The Queens' lot are pretty good on the whole at attending lectures, though in all honesty we're pretty crap at the actual maths.

No... I was interviewed on the 14th, I think. If not the 14th, then definitely the 4th, as it had a four in. So - maybe I was interviewed on the same day :tongue: I didn't actually talk to anyone at my interview. By the time I arrived all the people were in suits and chummy with each other, so I steered clear. Made waiting for my last interview rather dull as my two friends being interviewed on the same day had gone.
    The Emma lot seem to be fairly good at the maths, when they can be bothered to do it. Although I am only talking about half the mathmos here - the ones who live on my staircase plus some extras - I think Zhen Lin and the others are a lot more conscientious! And my boyfriend does actually work incredibly hard, he's just ended up being friends with the ones who leave whole example sheets until two hours before the deadline!

I'm not sure if interviews went up to the 14th last year, but it's a possibility When I went the room was full of linguists and medics, I'm still not entirely sure how I didn't see my boyfriend, although I was caught up in linguist chat so that's probably it. I had a huge gap between my two interviews, so it was nice to sit around and chat to people to keep my mind off it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.