Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Where has Setanta sports in Cambridge? The Isaac Newton? Girton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    someone left a steamy pile of fresh **** (no jokes) on a staircase.
    I saw the pictures of that... not nice
    but the warning sign was good..

ReputationRep:
    kings back gate closes around 7, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    kings back gate closes around 7, right?
    Ja.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    [in-joke nobody will get]Everett (1987b)[/in-joke nobody will get]

Seriously though, reading is always good, including over the summer, but surely you benefit more from having a supervision on each essay before starting the next. Also, I tend to bounce essay ideas off people like my DoS, and that kind of thing wouldn't be as possible over Summer.
    I assumed you were talking about Dan Everett, as in Piraha guy, but a quick google including 1987b reveals that this is probably not the case. Even so, I'm proud of my straggling bits of knowledge from my linguistics summer school

Wheeee, my sister's coming tomorrow!! I've had such a rubbish term, having a bit of home here will brighten it up a bit
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Ok, he's a little negligent :tongue:

How many people does Selwyn usually manage to gather together for these, out of interest?
    Normally about three to six, but our wonderful new rep doesn't seem to be settling for less than eight, which is quite difficult, given that there's only about nine active members of SeLBGT...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I assumed you were talking about Dan Everett, as in Piraha guy, but a quick google including 1987b reveals that this is probably not the case. Even so, I'm proud of my straggling bits of knowledge from my linguistics summer school
    Yep, 'tis indeed Everett, although 1986 would have been the same - both are papers with generative Chomskyan analyses of Piraha, and he acts like they don't exist sometimes. :tongue:

Which summer school did you go to and/or what linguistics did you cover?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Yep, 'tis indeed Everett, although 1986 would have been the same - both are papers with generative Chomskyan analyses of Piraha, and he acts like they don't exist sometimes. :tongue:

Which summer school did you go to and/or what linguistics did you cover?
    Oh wow, I feel clever Yesh, I remember reading about that - we were given the article in the New Yorker where he slates Chomsky a bit, saying that most linguists have a tendency to follow him blindly through the jungle or something.

EDIT: Aha, found the quote!

(Original post by Dan Everett)
    “A lot of people’s view of Chomsky is of the person in the lead on the jungle path,” Everett had told me in the Pirahã village. “And if anybody’s likely to find the way home it’s him. So they want to stay as close behind him as possible. Other people say, ‘**** that, I’m going to get on the river and take my canoe.’ ”
    I went on this, but in the first year it was run. I think we did the basics pretty much. It was quite a long time ago so I don't remember it too well, but we did phonetics and semantics and things. And also language change and development. My personal project was on the loss of grammatical gender within the English language, so I ended up looking at how Old English evolved out of it due to stresses and things, and then did bits and bobs on noun classes and also how the same thing is happening in Dutch in the present day and things like that. It was really really interesting
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by smilepea)
    You just have to try and make sure that you don't get a hangover, which I've found is best achieved if you stop drinking before midnight and then drink tons of water before you go to bed :yep:
    I've never got a hangover so that doesn't act as a disincentive. I tend to get something to eat and then watch a TV show on iPlayer when I get back. Good times. :yep:

(Original post by Apagg)
    I'm worried. I have no work due in this week - they're planning something
    In that case, could you please try to explain to me how to find all mixed (and pure) strategic Nash equilibria for 2-player 3 by 3 strategic form games?
    We've had the Mathmos spam this thread with their stuff (:tongue:) so we might as well have some fun Microeconomics as well.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that structures supervision almost went acceptably. So far the week from hell is not living up to expectations. Ah well, that will soon change. 3 examples papers to do tonight and tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I feel clever Yesh, I remember reading about that - we were given the article in the New Yorker where he slates Chomsky a bit, saying that most linguists have a tendency to follow him blindly through the jungle or something.

I went on this, but in the first year it was run. I think we did the basics pretty much. It was quite a long time ago so I don't remember it too well, but we did phonetics and semantics and things. And also language change and development. My personal project was on the loss of grammatical gender within the English language, so I ended up looking at how Old English evolved out of it due to stresses and things, and then did bits and bobs on noun classes and also how the same thing is happening in Dutch in the present day and things like that. It was really really interesting
    omg that sounds sooo interesting! why did you not take the linguistics paper in Spanish?

although im writing my essay on Lazarillo de Tormes atm and am really enjoying it so I guess there are some positives to lit :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavalse)
    omg that sounds sooo interesting! why did you not take the linguistics paper in Spanish?

although im writing my essay on Lazarillo de Tormes atm and am really enjoying it so I guess there are some positives to lit :rolleyes:
    I tried. My DoS wouldn't let me because he said it wasn't an adequate preparation for the course as a whole and that at Emma they strongly recommended that you do Literature, because taking Sp1 basically closes off the literature options for later years or something.

Lazarillo de Tormes is amazing, that and Unamuno are my favourite texts so far

ReputationRep:
    I am not feeling terribly well and am seirously deprived of sleep, but am now going to the library. That is how dedicated I am.

ReputationRep:
    I should probably check clothes are dry more than 20 minutes before I need them...

ReputationRep:
    stuffs
    why? Tell me who they are and I'll track them down armed with a polo mallet and whip :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    why? Tell me who they are and I'll track them down armed with a polo mallet and whip :mad:
    I will explain on weds - nothing massive but you know me . I'm calmer now. *****es ain't gonna bust ma confidence.

(llamma :love: )

ReputationRep:

EDIT: Aha, found the quote!
    Ah yes, I remember that article, it's pretty amusing. Everett's an odd guy in general really - while some of his criticisms are valid, some of them really aren't, and some of his theories are a bit crazy. Apparently he used to be one of our mphil examiners, so my DoS knows him. I get the impression he's an amazingly gifted field linguist but not so good at theory.
    Ah, cool. I did a chemistry course there actually, although it was run by Peter Wothers, one of the chemistry lecturers here, and was basically just the first natsci lecture series. It was fun though, and he's a legendary teacher.

Anyhoo... I've just finished the longest essay I've ever written in Cambridge, at 2055 words. I tend not to write that much usually, but I got talking about language, evolution, and maths all at the same time, so... :tongue:

Wow, just realised I've only eaten at lunch today. I should probably eat something.

ReputationRep:
    I have fitness again tomorrow morning at 7.30 joys, I think they're trying to make us physically smashed to pieces as well as sleep deprived :sigh: I would not go, but the guilt of letting 30+ people down is the worst feeling right now. Anyway bed is calling me night all!!

ReputationRep:
    today I discovered the utter amazingness of runciman in lectures. I'm actually really upset that I didn't take his paper.
    Yep. He made our Part I Politics :yep: :love:
    One of the girls at college chose him as a dissertation supervisor. I'm so jealous. I never knew what he was like. I have 3 more lectures with him, it's not enough!!!!

wjljfjflmflamf;lfmas;fmsalfaslfm aslfmslfmasf au'rfarjfsdfjslfmasfl
    Yeh I'm just jealous of Jahmez (TSR user) who has him as a DoS :dry: Mind you I'm envious of Brim too because of Baert :huff:

Man I'm shattered. Went to the Forum panel discussion on 'Setting the People Free' which had some really interesting people including the leader of Open Democracy and Hilary Wainwright. Unfortunately it went way overtime and I now have a massive pile of work to do and am exhausted and need sleep. Also it was an open discussion and I think I talked way too much :redface: Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    good luck Crags. I'm so tired I might collapse

My essay is due in at 10am. that's patently not going to happen as I'm too tired and need sleep.

God, I wish I was brave enough to engage in such discussions, good on you Craggy!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.