Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the rep lavalse and uke :woo:

Spooks is good. I'm sitting here sorting through my notes and watching a documentary on WW2. I think I might make a proper start on Masters applications tomorrow night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I have come to the conclusion that learning Bridge is very much like learning a language. If you are learning German you don't sit down with a dictionary and a grammar book, that would be dry and pointless. You instead go to Germany. I think that Bridge is the same, you don't learn bidding from a book, you learn from experience.

That is my excuse for not reading between sessions anyway :p:
    I think I'm one of the few people who actually enjoys sitting down with grammar books when learning new languages, and finds it fairly useful. That said, I am kind of doing a degree in grammar...

Either way, I like to read lots about things before trying them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Which ones are joining?
    I am not a geologist but I think America and Asia are being pushed towards each other. The Atlantic is getting bigger, anyway.

Robinson 1st year NatScis have mocks after the Christmas holidays. I think they're quite common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    Robinson 1st year NatScis have mocks after the Christmas holidays. I think they're quite common.
    Yep, most first years get some kind of college-based test at the start of Lent term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    I think I'm one of the few people who actually enjoys sitting down with grammar books when learning new languages, and finds it fairly useful. That said, I am kind of doing a degree in grammar...

Either way, I like to read lots about things before trying them out.
    To be honest, so am I, my analogy only goes so far. But the bidding conventions in Bridge can get stupidly complicated, and with Grammar you have a base language to compare to. I have no equivalent in Bridge, which makes learning from script more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, so am I, my analogy only goes so far. But the bidding conventions in Bridge can get stupidly complicated, and with Grammar you have a base language to compare to. I have no equivalent in Bridge, which makes learning from script more difficult.
    "Grammar is usually considered a dry subject, and attempts have been made, especially in recent times, to render it more interesting. Can these dry bones live? And how are they to be quickened? ... The breath of life can be breathed into them if they are treated not bone by bone but as members of a great organism wherein thought and feeling find expression. To the advanced student grammar is a fascinating subject, just because he knows that he is dealing with an organic unity - a unity analogous to that with which the astronomer finds himself in contact when he studies the movements and the constitution of the heavenly bodies. To the scientific grammarian language is a little universe - a microcosm governed by law and order and therefore intelligible, not a chaos."

But all that aside, I can see how studying bridge by reading about it could be difficult when you don't yet understand the basic concepts. How are you finding it by the way? I keep meaning to look into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Your Granpa's a Fellow :eek3: ?
    :nah: ex master :shifty: My Uncle's a Fellow/Professor, but working for the other side. My mother's not been to University, and my Father only got a degree when he was 44 just to balance things out.
    (Original post by lavalse)
    omg that was me who smiled at you!! i thought i mistook you for someone else. oh well
    Sorry :blush: I don't think either of us were wearing our glasses when we first met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    "Grammar is usually considered a dry subject, and attempts have been made, especially in recent times, to render it more interesting. Can these dry bones live? And how are they to be quickened? ... The breath of life can be breathed into them if they are treated not bone by bone but as members of a great organism wherein thought and feeling find expression. To the advanced student grammar is a fascinating subject, just because he knows that he is dealing with an organic unity - a unity analogous to that with which the astronomer finds himself in contact when he studies the movements and the constitution of the heavenly bodies. To the scientific grammarian language is a little universe - a microcosm governed by law and order and therefore intelligible, not a chaos."

But all that aside, I can see how studying bridge by reading about it could be difficult when you don't yet understand the basic concepts. How are you finding it by the way? I keep meaning to look into it.
    I still hold that grammar would be incredibly difficult to pick up if you didn't have knowledge of the basic meaning from your mother tongue. :p: Although obviously Bridge isn't quite on the same scale.

It is fantastic fun and insanely difficult I'm playing in a mixed team for cuppers this year, annd apparently we've been drawn against Trinity 1 :dry: Many of whom I know, although I know more from Trinity 2, who won last year.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Craghyrax
    Oh gosh - did I see you there? Someone smiled at me and I gave them a confused look and walked away trying to work out where I knew them from

omg that was me who smiled at you!! i thought i mistook you for someone else. oh well
    Lol, I was there too......but you wouldn't have recognised me, I don't think! Although I was talking to lavalse for some of it.

ReputationRep:
    EVERYONE: TSR waffle gathering Saturday later afternoon/evening?

ReputationRep:
    No. I had my life in October. I would like to make the Clare formal, but will need to work solidly in order to earn it.
    (Original post by jcb914)
    It's ridiculous here today, especially on that "girl who got interviewed and stropped about it" thread. Why do some people think that coming to Cambridge means they don't get a "real student experience" and that when we go out into the "real world" we won't be able to deal with the fact that some people aren't intelligent. I mean, WTF? Grrrrrr.
    Tbh I think there's loads of that nonsense replenished on a daily basis in Oxbridge, but slightly less of it in Cambridge. People just flocked to the attractive thread title.
    Enormous Rant About Academic Snobbery

What really annoyed me was the appearance of that guy who had a go at me for reading SPS. I'm really not making this up, but I have only had disparaging comments about my subject from historians since I got here. Not once have I heard anything negative from anyone of a different discipline! I occasionally get jokes about having loads of free time from other people, but these are usually not insulting. Also clearly the historians can't use this tactic when commenting on SPS, as they have one essay a week to my three of last year and most of them treat their lectures as optional, which isn't common with SPS. The first time I encountered it was a few oft repeated comments and hints by four particular historians in my college. They make up some of the more unpopular people in the college, so I didn't really take it too seriously, although I was obviously annoyed. The other incidences were trollish TSR historians like albiceleste and this nyet person
    (Original post by neg comment)
    I disapprove of reprehensible 'academic' subjects.
    I was especially confused by this obsession with a subject being 'academic' :eyeball: What's that? You don't here NatSci's finding opportunities every second sentence to draw attention to the fact that their subject is academic! And even if some subjects are more academic than others (how does one measure this anyway) - who cares, and why should undergraduates care? Unless the success of your PhD or some other work is directly linked to its respect in the academic community, I really don't see how it means anything if your degree is more academic at undergrad? Certainly, without these few nasty individuals, the thought of how academic my subject was would not once have entered my mind (except in the context of this year's focusing on the philosophy of social science and various arguments within the discipline) Even if it did - why would that be relevant to me? No other subject contains the subject content that I felt interested in studying so why would this matter at all? :wtf?:
    Mostly I just want to know why its purely historians who seem to make a thing of it? Do they have introductions at the start of lectures in first year that tell them to work hard or they might have to degrade to SPS; a fate worse than death? Do their supervisors drop subtle hints about the not so desireable intellectual angles adopted by the department they don't talk about? Where is this stuff coming from? :confused: Perhaps Historians are often victimised by Economists, and therefore feel the need to take it out on someone...? I might write a note about this on facebook. Half of my college are historians, and perhaps they can shed some light on the matter. Obviously I know loads of perfectly pleasant historians who have never been afflicted with this strange desire to take me to task for the inherently offensive study of such an aborrent discipline? :dry:

Sorry for the rant. Especially for the freshlings who I hope have not yet come across the sort of people that reinforce the TSR stereotype of elitism in Oxbridge...

ReputationRep:
    No. I had my life in October. I would like to make the Clare formal, but will need to work solidly in order to earn it.

Tbh I think there's loads of that nonsense replenished on a daily basis in Oxbridge, but slightly less of it in Cambridge. People just flocked to the attractive thread title.
    Enormous Rant About Academic Snobbery

What really annoyed me was the appearance of that guy who had a go at me for reading SPS. I'm really not making this up, but I have only had disparaging comments about my subject from historians since I got here. Not once have I heard anything negative from anyone of a different discipline! I occasionally get jokes about having loads of free time from other people, but these are usually not insulting. Also clearly the historians can't use this tactic when commenting on SPS, as they have one essay a week to my three of last year and most of them treat their lectures as optional, which isn't common with SPS. The first time I encountered it was a few oft repeated comments and hints by four particular historians in my college. They make up some of the more unpopular people in the college, so I didn't really take it too seriously, although I was obviously annoyed. The other incidences were trollish TSR historians like albiceleste and this nyet person. I was especially confused by this obsession with a subject being 'academic' :eyeball: What's that? You don't here NatSci's finding opportunities every second sentence to draw attention to the fact that their subject is academic! And even if some subjects are more academic than others (how does one measure this anyway) - who cares, and why should undergraduates care? Unless the success of your PhD or some other work is directly linked to its respect in the academic community, I really don't see how it means anything if your degree is more academic at undergrad? Certainly, without these few nasty individuals, the thought of how academic my subject was would not once have entered my mind (except in the context of this year's focusing on the philosophy of social science and various arguments within the discipline) Even if it did - why would that be relevant to me? No other subject contains the subject content that I felt interested in studying so why would this matter at all? :wtf?:
    Mostly I just want to know why its purely historians who seem to make a thing of it? Do they have introductions at the start of lectures in first year that tell them to work hard or they might have to degrade to SPS; a fate worse than death? Do their supervisors drop subtle hints about the not so desireable intellectual angles adopted by the department they don't talk about? Where is this stuff coming from? :confused: Perhaps Historians are often victimised by Economists, and therefore feel the need to take it out on someone...? I might write a note about this on facebook. Half of my college are historians, and perhaps they can shed some light on the matter. Obviously I know loads of perfectly pleasant historians who have never been afflicted with this strange desire to take me to task for the inherently offensive study of such an aborrent discipline? :dry:

Sorry for the rant. Especially for the freshlings who I hope have not yet come across the sort of people that reinforce the TSR stereotype of elitism in Oxbridge...
    aww no

About your situation - I feel lucky not to have experienced it. I did a history paper last year and am doing one this year too. In no way is SPS easier. Tbh, I was going to post a similar(ish) gripe the other day about historians. I'm the sort of person who likes to go into my lectures, listen, take notes down and leave - not go in, take notes and then have historians (this only happens in my history lectures) ask loads of vaguely related questions that they could find more about either in their spare time. There's one girl who always asks just about every vaugely related question possible and HAS to stick her hand up a million times during the lecture. I noticed similar happenings in my last lot of history lectures in Part 2A. I haven't found it happening in SPS as such, nor with Econs (well it did with one guy in econs but he quit fast when everyone told him to stfu).

I'm obviously fine with having people ask for clarifications but if you want to know a tiny bit on a very specific issue ask your supervisor. Christ.

Oh and I don't think the Economists had a similar thing going on with the historians (bar the obvious banter). I'm sorry you had to go through this Crags, they seem pretty rotten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I'm sorry you had to go through this Crags, they seem pretty rotten.
    I suppose its my fault for posting so prolifically on the forum - I'm a very noticeable target! But that doesn't really account for the people in my college. Its not like I was saying or doing anything, but somehow they found an opportunity to go out of their way to flex their academic muscle at me :lolwut: Anyway, thanks. I think I'm the person in my year who asks loads of questions :ninja: Me and a guy from Emma. Actually I think he wins for sheer volume.

ReputationRep:
    People who belittle SPS = People who don't know what it's about

Definately more interesting then history, which to me is what counts :dry:

ReputationRep:
    People who belittle SPS = People who don't know what it's about

Definately more interesting then history, which to me is what counts :dry:
    Well replace History and SPS for x and y - the interest is definitely what counts - I agree! That's the point of a degree, surely? Not the status/reputation/salary that goes with it! :tomato:

ReputationRep:
    Well replace History and SPS for x and y - the interest is definitely what counts - I agree! That's the point of a degree, surely? Not the status/reputation/salary that goes with it! :tomato:
    Oh I know. It's not like Engineering has the greatest reputation, an arts DoS remarked when I told him that I did it the other day that "Oh don't worry about it, you wouldn't be able to tell".

Engineering is fascinating in ways that many other subjects just aren't. This is why I'm doing it, and if people think that the academic reputation of a subject is more important then they shouldn't be here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Something about clare politics
    Why isn't the Clare Politics website working?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I know. It's not like Engineering has the greatest reputation, an arts DoS remarked when I told him that I did it the other day that "Oh don't worry about it, you wouldn't be able to tell".

Engineering is fascinating in ways that many other subjects just aren't. This is why I'm doing it, and if people think that the academic reputation of a subject is more important then they shouldn't be here.
    Ah I didn't know that. Is there a sort of Maths vs Engineering thing around then? Perhaps Varsity will create a nice neat table for us someday, with Tripos pairs :rolleyes:

But yeh - if you start a course (especially a pressurised competitive course with overbearing amounts of work) then your level of interest in it is obviously the only thing that matters!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I didn't know that. Is there a sort of Maths vs Engineering thing around then? Perhaps Varsity will create a nice neat table for us someday, with Tripos pairs :rolleyes:

But yeh - if you start a course (especially a pressurised competitive course with overbearing amounts of work) then your level of interest in it is obviously the only thing that matters!
    Well, it's a practical subject. Some would say that makes it superior to all the others () but meh. It's the same sort of thing as SPS, but not as bad. And it's NatSci's rather than Mathmos per se.

Then again, the only times I've come across it are either as tongue in cheek banter (which I have of course reciprocated) or with that rather drunk fellow :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the source of all this idiocy is the actual Fellows. When a person's entire career is built around competition against another department or field, then they just become bitter and twisted. And then this filters down to the student level in supervisions and other forms of mingling. (to other readers - this is more feasible in Peterhouse because we're so small and do tend to have quite alot of contact with our Fellows)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.