Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I'm sure the source of all this idiocy is the actual Fellows. When a person's entire career is built around competition against another department or field, then they just become bitter and twisted. And then this filters down to the student level in supervisions and other forms of mingling. (to other readers - this is more feasible in Peterhouse because we're so small and do tend to have quite alot of contact with our Fellows)
    Hah, you may be right there. It'd be nice to put all this silliness with college stereotypes and "I'd rather go to Oxford than St Johns" down to the fellows as well, but sadly there are always students who carry on these things. Johns is a charming college, apart from the vomit inducing bits. By comparison our Fen Court is an aesthetic paradise. Actually Fen Court isn't that bad. At least the designer made an effort with it.

ReputationRep:
    Fen Court is fine. The extensive ivy also helps alot. Its only WSB that clashes a bit. I presume you were talking about Cripps? To be fair, the nice bits of John's are about twice the dimensions of Peterhouse overall let alone Cripps, so they're allowed an ugly bit.

ReputationRep:
    Fen Court is fine. The extensive ivy also helps alot. Its only WSB that clashes a bit. I presume you were talking about Cripps? To be fair, the nice bits of John's are about twice the dimensions of Peterhouse overall let alone Cripps, so they're allowed an ugly bit.
    True. And the Kitchen extension, that is simply dreadful.

WSB is best ignored methinks. And you are right about Johns.

ReputationRep:
    *Wanders in*

Why is it that I think the middle of the night is the perfect time to plan and write an essay? Why?

Craghyrax and ukebert, I never realised that there was so much bad feeling between History and PPS. Personally, I think that it's impossible to be objective about the merits (or otherwise) of each college or course and therefore we should just let people enjoy their subject/like their college without thinking 'I work so much harder than person who does X subject'.....why does everything here have to be a competition for some people? (that's not directed at either of you, btw!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of any bad feeling among SPSers towards historians :p: That's why its so surprising! We're very happy in our bubble, innocently enjoying our non-academic subject! The competition is very annoying, but easily analysed as the University seems to be structured around reinforcing fierce competitiveness.

And yeh, I'm doing my essay now too. What's yours?

ReputationRep:
    Beeeeed :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Beeeeed :yawn:
    Lucky :puppyeyes:

I didn't realise I had chocolate in my bag when I hung it up on a hook in the Ward library directly above a radiator :>.<: The SPS head librarian is going to kill me My iPod is chocolate coated!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of any bad feeling among SPSers towards historians That's why its so surprising! We're very happy in our bubble, innocently enjoying our non-academic subject! The competition is very annoying, but easily analysed as the University seems to be structured around reinforcing fierce competitiveness.

And yeh, I'm doing my essay now too. What's yours?
    Lol, I didn't mean to imply that SPSers hated historians I suppose I could have put that better!

I'm doing an essay about fantasy and reality in Cien anos de soledad - fun, fun ,fun. What's yours about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Lol, I didn't mean to imply that SPSers hated historians I suppose I could have put that better!
    Only some of them Oh no don't worry - I understood. I was merely using the opportunity to talk/moan even more! :p:
    I'm doing an essay about fantasy and reality in Cien anos de soledad - fun, fun ,fun. What's yours about?
    Too many things it seems :9 Pragmatism, behaviourism, symbolic interactionism. It will go away if I stop procrastinating though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Too many things it seems :9 Pragmatism, behaviourism, symbolic interactionism. It will go away if I stop procrastinating though
    That sounds nasty! I can't even write a decent plan for my essay

Oh no don't worry - I understood. I was merely using the opportunity to talk/moan even more!
    Moan all you like, I think the historians are being unfair!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds nasty! I can't even write a decent plan for my essay
    Essay plans are hideous. I never bother unless forced. It comes together as I write.

Exams are different though. Planning makes a huge difference.

ReputationRep:
    Essay plans are hideous. I never bother unless forced. It comes together as I write.

I'm exactly the opposite - I can't write anything (not even 300 word essays in French) unless I spend ages thinking and planning!

Had better go and get on with my planning now, hope you get your essay done soon!

ReputationRep:

'tis the other way round for me - no time to plan in exams, although I suppose that's from when I had to write 5 essays in 3 hours. Somehow I think for my single essay 3 hour finals paper some planning will be in order. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's easy to have a go at SPS when you need to be up for 9am 6 days a week and the SPSer I know has a 3-day week

I can't say I've really noticed any difference between subject workloads so far, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    'tis the other way round for me - no time to plan in exams, although I suppose that's from when I had to write 5 essays in 3 hours. Somehow I think for my single essay 3 hour finals paper some planning will be in order. :p:
    That sounds crazy, but I'm guessing there the factual content is more important, whereas for us the development of the argument is more key? I'm sure you'll find it different this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I guess it's easy to have a go at SPS when you need to be up for 9am 6 days a week and the SPSer I know has a 3-day week

I can't say I've really noticed any difference between subject workloads so far, though.
    Yeh but you're allowed to pick on us (well.. not me, but you know..) Historians, however. They don't go to lectures and have less than half of our workload! Meh *stops repeating herself*

ReputationRep:
    That sounds crazy, but I'm guessing there the factual content is more important, whereas for us the development of the argument is more key? I'm sure you'll find it different this year!
    Actually, those were the evolution essays, which are probably the least fact based essays in all of natsci 1a. That said, there was some degree of fact-stating involved - mostly they were along the lines of "explain this theoretical aspect of evolution and justify it with examples." By contrast linguistics essays are more like "Here's a statement, it's probably wrong. Approach it in every possible way you can think of, and throw examples at it to see how they bounce off. Use this information to critically analyse the foundations of the theory in question, and maybe come up with some theories of your own." It's a lot of fun really.

ReputationRep:
    well.. not me
    Wouldn't dream of it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Actually, those were the evolution essays, which are probably the least fact based essays in all of natsci 1a. That said, there was some degree of fact-stating involved - mostly they were along the lines of "explain this theoretical aspect of evolution and justify it with examples." By contrast linguistics essays are more like "Here's a statement, it's probably wrong. Approach it in every possible way you can think of, and throw examples at it to see how they bounce off. Use this information to critically analyse the foundations of the theory in question, and maybe come up with some theories of your own." It's a lot of fun really.
    Ah ok. I think we have essays that involve both of those. It depends on the questions. My favourites are the descriptive ones, like the one I'm doing now. They're more manageable when you're under time pressure. Last year it was really hard to have a clear perspective about what I really thought about an issue, when I'd only had two or three days of reading on the matter!

ReputationRep:
    My gyp is the most annoying thing in the known universe. It is so hot and humid in there that my bread goes mouldy very quicckly I need to go into town, but really won't have the time today.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.