Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Matt-)
    I just finished mine yesterday.... the second last group to complete :o:, 20 minutes before the cut-off. While it was good to do something practical, I'll be glad to have some afternoons off again. It was disturbing that despite having one of the simplest designs it took our pair one of the longest times to complete, and not even to a great standard. And now I have to write a report on it all ... urgh

any tips for me? Like what sort of things would have saved time?

ReputationRep:
    I just had a great time at Selwyn formal with Nina despite the dessert making me feel quite sick! :p:. I wasn't drinking though, so now I'm sober and about to finish off my essay (only 500 words!) while everyone else is drunk and headed to Vodka Revs. As soon as I've finished this though, I'm out of here :p:

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor returned my essay to me this afternoon, and I only then noticed that I'd sent the document with a bibliography randomly jammed right into the middle of the body of the text, followed by another bibliography in its normal place :o: I blame the new word - it has an automatic referencing option that creates a bibliography for you. Still I'm not sure how that happened.

Also that essay was 3700 words long :>.<:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Selwyn formal was really good! On a par with Pembroke easily.

I've almost changed my mind and am considering applying to Cambridge for a Masters. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    I've almost changed my mind and am considering applying to Cambridge for a Masters. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or not.
    Was it due to Selwyn formal? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Why Cambridge? I thought you didn't like it here.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Because I haven't done most of the things that I want to do, I'm not ready to leave yet. I think I would have loved Cambridge if I'd met the right people in first year. I wouldn't apply to Pembroke, I'd switch College.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Because I haven't done most of the things that I want to do, I'm not ready to leave yet. I think I would have loved Cambridge if I'd met the right people in first year. I wouldn't apply to Pembroke, I'd switch College.
    Fair enough

I thought it would be nice to try Oxford at the Masters stage, but then I realised that they don't offer a course that's anywhere close to as good as ours on the league table, so Cambridge it is! (also this year I'm discovering how awesome our department really is! :eek: :adore:) I'd also consider another college. I like the fact that you pick two 'preferences' of college when applying to the department. I think Peterhouse has alot going for it, so I'd certainly be pretty thrilled if I got in and was taken back by them; but a change could also be nice! A major positive with Peterhouse is accommodation. All post-grads live either in Parkside (overlooking Parker's Piece) or in Cosin Court (Trumpington street) - those are pretty amazing locations, considering how far out many have to live!

ReputationRep:
    I hate coughing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The Oxford Philosophy course is absolutely amazing, unfortunately there's no way in hell I'd get on it, so I don't see the point in wasting my money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Yeah I see where you're coming from and am glad you changed your mind. I also agree with your last two sentences and am very happy I'm having an extra year here becaiuse it's given me a chance to do so much more.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a look at applications stats and there's a 1 in 2 chance of getting in for the Masters course I'm applying for. It sounds pretty good 'chance-wise' but I'm so blates going to be in the half that don't get offers. :o:

:puppyeyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Although realistically I don't think I'll get in, I'm a bit worried about only applying to one place for postgrad - if they reject me I'm screwed. And I would like my time at Cambridge again, there's so much I'd do differently, but then again there was only so much of it within my control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    any tips for me? Like what sort of things would have saved time?
    Yes, though they may seem like common sense to anyone but me :o:

Don't be overly perfectionist at the start as it may mean you end up then running short of time and botching things later instead (not that I'd do this...). Don't cut long sections to length before drilling as if you make a mistake then you don't have any spare to cut off and try again (this is more to avoid waste). Try to build things up as you go and drill through joints in place, rather than doing sections separately and then constructing.

And from my lab partner, who struggled with this one (as did I admittedly): don't touch things you've just drilled - they will be hot, and hurt :p:

In terms the overall design, you may already have done this, but I'd look closely at the cost sheet - we didn't and so despite having the lightest structure (I think) it was still fairly expensive in labour costs (lots of holes, bends) - basically material costs are pretty small (for steel at least, if you are doing aluminium I think its weighted differently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Although realistically I don't think I'll get in, I'm a bit worried about only applying to one place for postgrad - if they reject me I'm screwed. And I would like my time at Cambridge again, there's so much I'd do differently, but then again there was only so much of it within my control.
    What do you mean you'd waste money? :confused: And what would you do differently?
    (Original post by minimo)
    I also agree with your last two sentences and am very happy I'm having an extra year here becaiuse it's given me a chance to do so much more.
    What do you mean you have an extra year? :confused: You don't have a master's place yet... did you do Part I SPS or did you go straight from first year Ec to Part II SPS?

ReputationRep:
    Part 1a + 2a Ec, Part 2a and 2b SPS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Part 1a + 2a Ec, Part 2a and 2b SPS
    Oh :idea: IIa Economics... That must have been pretty tough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Oh :idea: IIa Economics... That must have been pretty tough!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hell on earth. Loads of my hair fell out and I got pretty ill.

ReputationRep:
    Best debate ever.
    Not that I've been to many though :p:
    But still, it was so good. I'm so glad I went

I've just realised I don't have another weekend here this term due to a christening and family christmas. Strange.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You have to pay to apply to Oxford and Cambridge for postgrad studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.