Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All this applying for postgrad stuff seems so scary...

In other news, I have swapped a cough for a headache. This is probably an improvement.

ReputationRep:
    YES!! I only drank one glass of wine at my swap (the fact I was made to down it is nether here nor there lol) I think this is a success :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    lol or group theory or any other manner of horrible stuff they decide to throw at us

sorry I'm in a distinctly un-mathsy mood today, which is odd considering I had my first not-awful groups supervision today :eek:
    Conclusion: Best Maths course is within engineering :yes: :p:

(Original post by Llamaaa)
    Uke I saw you outside my building and I waved manickly at you and you ignored me
    When? Was I going to or away from New Hall? To be honest I do tend to stare blankly into the distance and not concentrate on anything inparticular. I think I was thinking about Post Offices at the time. Sorry, annyway :p:

(Original post by ebam_uk)
    Woah I got a busy week ahead of me now, excluding the weekend, because I am doing the Structural Design Project. You done this Ukeburt? Although I am enjoying being the lab for a change from all the example papers and lectures which are frankly kinda boring!
    Not yet

And I am so behind examples papers wise :o: Specifically Structures. Tomorrow is not going to be pretty, I'll be working pretty much non-stop all afternoon, with a break for tea and an hour's ringing, and then onwards till midnight.

(Original post by -Matt-)
    I just finished mine yesterday.... the second last group to complete :o:, 20 minutes before the cut-off. While it was good to do something practical, I'll be glad to have some afternoons off again. It was disturbing that despite having one of the simplest designs it took our pair one of the longest times to complete, and not even to a great standard. And now I have to write a report on it all ... urgh
    I'm in the last group

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    My supervisor returned my essay to me this afternoon, and I only then noticed that I'd sent the document with a bibliography randomly jammed right into the middle of the body of the text, followed by another bibliography in its normal place :o: I blame the new word - it has an automatic referencing option that creates a bibliography for you. Still I'm not sure how that happened.

Also that essay was 3700 words long :>.<:
    Glad to know that all those late nights don't affect your work in any way

(Original post by -Matt-)
    Yes, though they may seem like common sense to anyone but me :o:
    All those things were very helpful Rep for you when I can.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, now, I know it's a common Cambridge rule to think that your college is the greatest thing on earth, an while I really really like Fitz, I sometimes get these moments when I think "well, it'd probably be nice to be at this other place, no?".

Well, today I had one of them - in fact, I have just been to Trinity for the first time, and a friend gave me a tour of Trinity at night. Well, if this place is not made out of pure awesomeness, I don't know what is :yep: ...

Then again, I probably wouldn't have met the people I met here if I had applied to Trinity...

ReputationRep:
    I like Clare better than trinity. But I haven't managed to find one that beats Peterhouse in everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeezebox)
    I'm a counter example; I'm not enjoying myself at my college :nope:
    Aw . Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    You have to pay to apply to Oxford and Cambridge for postgrad studies.
    How much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I like Clare better than trinity. But I haven't managed to find one that beats Peterhouse in everything.
    No way :eek: I find Clare really boring. Its big, but it doesn't have the wow factor. Trinity has the wow factor, and so does John's...and Jesus. And also I love the good bit of Queens. but I'm happy where I am, and Peterhouse has the wow factor too if not the grandeur. Our library offers grandeur fortunately, as does our supremely amazing candlelit, 13th century hall... so we're not that deprived

The only sorts of things that make Peterhouse seem less great than elsewhere are things like the staff walking into my room when I'm sleeping and behaving as though they have a right to do what they please, the lack of a 24hr library, the college always putting clients over students and the fact that our rent increased by over 9% this year according to TCS... more than a percent higher than any other college! And our food prices went up really massively, while portion sizes decreased. This is not what I've heard..its what I've seen. I haven't started choosing different food this year - I go for the same types of options in the same quantities, and suddenly my total sum is up by £1- £1.50, and the amount of food is noticeably less.
    And the fire drills...

All of this is so annoying because you feel so helpless to change anything. Complaining takes time, and everyone who's done it before you say they were met with blank refusals.

ReputationRep:
    No way :eek: I find Clare really boring. Its big, but it doesn't have the wow factor. Trinity has the wow factor, and so does John's... but I'm happy where I am.

The only sorts of things that make Peterhouse seem less great than elsewhere are things like the staff walking into my room when I'm sleeping and behaving as though they have a right to do what they please, the lack of a 24hr library, the college always putting clients over students and the fact that our rent increased by over 9% this year according to TCS... more than a percent higher than any other college! And our food prices went up really massively, while portion sizes decreased. This is not what I've heard..its what I've seen. I haven't started choosing different food this year - I go for the same types of options in the same quantities, and suddenly my total sum is up by £1- £1.50, and the amount of food is noticeably less.
    And the fire drills...

All of this is so annoying because you feel so helpless to change anything. Complaining takes time, and everyone who's done it before you say they were met with blank refusals.
    I don't really care about the wow factor tbh :p: I think that Trinity is very impressive, but impressive only goes so far. Clare is nice :p:

We should set up a college revolutionary party. I wonder whether it is possible to stage a communist revolution in a Cambridge College...

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care about the wow factor tbh :p: I think that Trinity is very impressive, but impressive only goes so far. Clare is nice :p:
    Yeh but that's pretty much it. Its just nice... in a bland sort of inoffensive and unremarkeable way. I like their sunken garden but not much else.

Oh and I love Tit Hall. I want their library and to keep mine at the same time :teeth:

We should set up a college revolutionary party. I wonder whether it is possible to stage a communist revolution in a Cambridge College...
    Perhaps in a Cambridge college, but perhaps not in its only neoconservative college :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but that's pretty much it. Its just nice... in a bland sort of inoffensive and unremarkeable way. I like their sunken garden but not much else.

Oh and I love Tit Hall. I want their library and to keep mine at the same time :teeth:

Perhaps in a Cambridge college, but perhaps not in its only neoconservative college :rolleyes:
    I have only seen Clare by night, tbf. I need to go round it in the day. Lidka has aa fantastic room by the way, FTB pointed it out to me.

I saw the Jerwood by moonlight the other day :>.<: It is so wonderful :o:

ReputationRep:
    I saw the Jerwood by moonlight the other day :>.<: It is so wonderful :o:
    Yeh exactly.. especially when you cross the bridge and look in at the cosy light and students poring over books in a very beautiful room...

Hmm..that didn't sound quite as inspirational as intended. But meh - its a compelling sight.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely in the contingent of people who adore their college and wouldn't consider anywhere else. Possibly slightly too much. I met up with a friend today who happened to be in the Emma bar and mentioned that it was really quiet, at which point I started saying really defensively, "well, it's normally a lot busier than this". I won't hear anything even vaguely negative about it!!

(Original post by squeezebox)
    I thought about it, but then I didn't want to scare/embarass you. :o:

No, we haven't met - I will make it to a TSR meet one day!
    Ahah, we worked out that you would probably have recognised us from Facebook. And possibly Ben from lectures, although considering how huge yours are it wouldn't surprise me if you'd never seen him there. If you notice us again say hello!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh exactly.. especially when you cross the bridge and look in at the cosy light and students poring over books in a very beautiful room...

Hmm..that didn't sound quite as inspirational as intended. But meh - its a compelling sight.
    I think we should steal it and paste it onto the back of Ward. We would need to redivert the river though, and build a bridge :yes:

EDIT: Bed :o: :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Okay, now, I know it's a common Cambridge rule to think that your college is the greatest thing on earth, an while I really really like Fitz, I sometimes get these moments when I think "well, it'd probably be nice to be at this other place, no?".

Well, today I had one of them - in fact, I have just been to Trinity for the first time, and a friend gave me a tour of Trinity at night. Well, if this place is not made out of pure awesomeness, I don't know what is :yep: ...

Then again, I probably wouldn't have met the people I met here if I had applied to Trinity...
    I like

*is a proud Trinitarian*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I like

*is a proud Trinitarian*
    Trinity terrifies me slightly, but I think that's because I have scary Russian supervisions there. And the size of it always throws my timing off - I forget to factor in the two minutes it takes to walk across the court to get to R staircase and am therefore invariably two minutes late.

ReputationRep:
    We would need to redivert the river though, and build a bridge :yes:
    Your job :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I like

*is a proud Trinitarian*
    I promise I'm not going to stalk you, I'm just curious - which court do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I promise I'm not going to stalk you, I'm just curious - which court do you live in?
    Will PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Trinity terrifies me slightly, but I think that's because I have scary Russian supervisions there. And the size of it always throws my timing off - I forget to factor in the two minutes it takes to walk across the court to get to R staircase and am therefore invariably two minutes late.
    don't worry, I am always 2 minutes later...for everything.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.