Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I can't sleep I'm never awake at this time.

And I'm sad to have lost my llamas in favour of a Panamanian dictador militar
    panamanian dictador militar?!

ReputationRep:
    rant ahead

Spoiler:
    Show
    well i feel a bit crap and not in control. I have so much to do for my diss, I'm tired, panicking about masters applications and all the study I have to do over the hols. God knows how I'll find the time. I just want to curl up really. Oh, and I had 320 neg points from that creep, Juno.

This all apart from the fact I'm down for family reasons too.

oh and i feel like i've grown to the size of a baby whale...even though i havent :rolleyes:. hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)

It's on population growth during the industrial revolution, but it's phrased quite oddly: “Prudence rather than pestilence acted to keep population growth in line with economic conditions”. Discuss with reference to the English ‘demographic revolution’ in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
    I'm hoping that once I finish the reading tomorrow I'll have a better idea of what it's getting at.

Oh, and if we're not allowed to post essay titles (I'm not sure about the rules regarding that) then could a Mod please edit the above? Thanks.
    It's a reference to the Malthusian concept of there being automatic checks to prevent excessive population growth. I imagine they want you to discuss how it was that the industrial revolution saw both an increase in population growth and in living standards. (Though both are debatable, as I recall, the population growth wasn't that high, though it was higher than before, and living standards didn't increase straight away).
    I.e. Was it conscious planning by government and individuals, and a high economic growth rate, or was it simply that everyone was dying that kept per capita income high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavalse)
    ok when you put it that way i am grateful for arabic!!!!!!! i seem to remember that about russian and the million and one ways to say 'to go'. probs one of the things that put me off :p:

incidentally, you werent planning on doing ukrainian next year were you?
    Probably not. Apparently it's really easy compared to Russian, but I think I'd rather study more culture modules than have another language under my belt that isn't too difficult to pick up. At the moment my favourite paper of all them is Sp2, so literature seems to be the way to go for now

Argh, I'm so tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Poor ukebert

Love the avvy :five: Although you now need to edit the usertitle to a darker grey.
    Thanks for the sympathy :o:

For future reference, does anyone know a chocolate seller that would be open at 11pm?

And the avatar is for the sub's Avatar Days season. Every season we change our avatar to reflect a chosen theme. This week's is dictators. So I have the proletariat :p:

I think it was quite cclever :hmmm:

I was feeling miserable, but I spent an hour wikipediaring and now feel much better
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :hugs: minimo

and yes essay titles are fine. it's only interview questions! I'm pretty sure most of us often ramble at length about various essays in detail.

ReputationRep:
    Snow! :gasp:

ReputationRep:
    it looks like it will be absolutely freeeeeeeeeeeeezing tonight and I'm going out. Boo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Thanks for the sympathy :o:

For future reference, does anyone know a chocolate seller that would be open at 11pm?
    Well, the co-op closes at 11...

ReputationRep:
    Surely your college must have a vending machine kicking around somewhere? We've got two, positioned at either end of college.
    (can't have us girls going without chocolate, chaos would ensue... :p:)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tom)
    Hmm I've written an essay with a title along roughly those lines too (though for Geog. not Econ).

As I recall I went on more about changing economic and social conditions than disease or malthusian negative checks as such, though.
    (Original post by Apagg)
    It's a reference to the Malthusian concept of there being automatic checks to prevent excessive population growth. I imagine they want you to discuss how it was that the industrial revolution saw both an increase in population growth and in living standards. (Though both are debatable, as I recall, the population growth wasn't that high, though it was higher than before, and living standards didn't increase straight away).
    I.e. Was it conscious planning by government and individuals, and a high economic growth rate, or was it simply that everyone was dying that kept per capita income high.
    Thanks guys.

That was what I thought when I first read the title, but so far most of the reading has been regarding nuptiality so I was a bit confused as to where that fits in with "prudence". But thinking about it a bit more, it's probably referring to how age of first marriage responded (with a time lag) to changes in real wages. Still, I have a few more articles to read today so it might become clearer.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see any snow
    (Original post by K.T.)
    Surely your college must have a vending machine kicking around somewhere? We've got two, positioned at either end of college.
    (can't have us girls going without chocolate, chaos would ensue... :p:)
    Assuredly, it does not.

ReputationRep:
    I have snow on my lawn! Admittedly not even covering the grass, but it's there nonetheless. Won't last long though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidka)
    Well, the co-op closes at 11...
    Where is the co-op? :o:

God. Overslept again. Still don't have food for lunch, will now not have time to go to archery, might not have time to ring at GSM before the formal.

And sadly no insights came in the night regarding velocitydiagrams

ReputationRep:
    Where is the co-op? :o:

God. Overslept again. Still don't have food for lunch, will now not have time to go to archery, might not have time to ring at GSM before the formal.

And sadly no insights came in the night regarding velocitydiagrams
    You really need to just bulk buy at Sainsburys. The co-op is on Hills road, towards the station.

I'm freezing. My radiator's off. I overslept.

ReputationRep:
    Gah I need to go into the wards today. I forgot I have to present a case to one of the consultants tomorrow morning

ReputationRep:
    You really need to just bulk buy at Sainsburys. The co-op is on Hills road, towards the station.

I'm freezing. My radiator's off. I overslept.
    I do, I do (bar chocolate, so that I can guarentee that I'll be able to get out of my chair at the end of term), problem is that I haven't bulk bought for a week and a half, and so have run out of food :o:

Hills Road, eh? I'll bear that in mind

And :five: to oversleeping :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    And :five: to oversleeping :yawn:
    Its not a good thing :hmmm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I got a spare ticket to a formal I was unable to get tickets for tonight

ReputationRep:
    Its not a good thing :hmmm:
    Maybe if I pretend that it is a good thing then the problem of not having the time will go away

I'm not altogether sure I am lucid enough to be doing mechanics you know.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.