Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    That's rubbish. Things like that involve planning/packing/rushing/travelling/getting up for things, etc etc.
    I would hate a holiday with no time to simply procrastinate a day away, or meander about aimlessly, or read. Over the summer I travelled back to Cambridge literally on the 1st of September and turned away two sets of friends in order to make sure I had complete rest before the start of term (the preceding months had been mental though)
    planning, done for me. planning whilst on the boat is fun. packing, half an hour. rushing, on a boat it is necessary sometimes. You get used to it. travelling, I like to travel getting up, no 3am starts on this cruise

ergo, holiday :yes:

Having said that I probably will cut it down to a week.

ReputationRep:
    My christmas holiday will probably consist of going over geology and computer science in the hope they'll make more sense the second time round...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    Yay! Someone else doing linguistics! I only do Li.1 (introduction to general linguistics) as one of my papers though, not the whole thing.. Are you in the Li.1 lectures by any chance? (I don't know if they're part of the "pure" tripos)
    He has thick, wavy, crazy, aspiring-to-afro brown hair - so that might answer your question before he discovers your post?

ReputationRep:
    Beeeeed :yawn:

This presentation is going to go very badly.

I am also worried because I haven't done my week chart yet, and so don't really know what I am doing :o:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

This beanchair has turned out to be a genius buy. Originally I was a bit disenchanted after it arrived, as the backrest is far more inclined than normal for a chair - but its actually far more comfy for long hours of reading or working than the other chair

Also, the last three weeks I've kept trying to make time to look for a thick, woolly jumper, as I don't have anything except fleeces in my cupboard. So just now I was rooting around and found a woolly jumper I bought at the end of Michaelmas last year for precisely the same reason :eek: I'd packed it over the summer and completely forgotten about it!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else still working?

ReputationRep:
    Me. I've been alternately working and sleeping in the corridor outside my room with people from my floor + Danielle + my boyfriend who are basically honourary members of my staircase anyway for about the last three hours. I've just started a Use of Spanish exercise that isn't due til Tuesday, but haven't done a load of Russian due for tomorrow. I think I may have reached Russian saturation for the weekend...

We had hustings earlier Twas scary and not so enjoyable competing with one of my friends. But we shared some good Shakespearean banter so I guess it wasn't so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Is anyone else still working?
    Oh yes.. :doh:

Mind you I'm glad to finally have another late nighter or two on the thread! Last year I kept myself company on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    And not so enjoyable competing with one of my friends. But we shared some good Shakespearean banter so I guess it wasn't so bad.
    Which position were you after?
    Why is everyone's Hustings so soon?
    Peterhouse have theirs in Lent.
    I have to say I can't think of anything worse than being on a JCR - if work blows up and you have responsibilities, what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Me. I've been alternately working and sleeping in the corridor outside my room with people from my floor + Danielle + my boyfriend who are basically honourary members of my staircase anyway for about the last three hours. I've just started a Use of Spanish exercise that isn't due til Tuesday, but haven't done a load of Russian due for tomorrow. I think I may have reached Russian saturation for the weekend...
    Ouch, sounds painful! I've just done my Spanish translation and my Use of Spanish. Only Spanish oral work, French oral work and seminar reading to go for tonight (so no sleep, basically!).

We had hustings earlier Twas scary and not so enjoyable competing with one of my friends. But we shared some good Shakespearean banter so I guess it wasn't so bad.
    What are you competing for?

Mind you I'm glad to finally have another late nighter or two on the thread! Last year I kept myself company on here.
    Next term I am going to be organised and not work late. I'm ill, I shouldn't be working late but I don't want to go to classes without work/hand in work late AGAIN - surely there's only so long of doing that before people start thinking I'm a waste of space.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see I'm not the anomaly working so late, essay will be finished sooon, and it *should* be the last very late night of term :yep:

And Craghy (can I call you that :o: ?), thanks for the heads up, but haven't noticed anybody like that but I am too tired/not observant enough to remember the faces in the lecture...

ReputationRep:
    Next term I am going to be organised and not work late. I'm ill, I shouldn't be working late but I don't want to go to classes without work/hand in work late AGAIN - surely there's only so long of doing that before people start thinking I'm a waste of space.
    No point thinking like that :console: You're doing your best, which is all that can be expected. If you develop a good relationship with your supervisors, they aren't unreasonable (in my experience - I know some people are unlucky)
    And yeh - I also need to be more organised next term!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    And Craghy (can I call you that :o: ?),
    Yep :cool:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    thanks for the heads up, but haven't noticed anybody like that but I am too tired/not observant enough to remember the faces in the lecture...
    Np I'll let Supergrunch answer for himself now :p:

ReputationRep:
    Which position were you after?
    Why is everyone's Hustings so soon?
    Peterhouse have theirs in Lent.
    I have to say I can't think of anything worse than being on a JCR - if work blows up and you have responsibilities, what do you do?
    Access It's basically all I've wanted to do since I applied to Cambridge, so I thought I'd give it a shot. If I don't get it, then my friend will and we've promised each other that we'll both be heavily involved whoever gets it so hopefully I'll still be able to do loads of things. I think I'll just have to manage my time. I've managed to be assistant producer on the Freshers play this term and keep up with all of that pretty well despite having lots of work, so we'll see. It's just something I really really want to do because of the experiences I've had, so it's worth some small sacrifices I think.

Eurgh, I'm starving and have no food And just turned down two people offering to buy me chips from Gardies... why??

ReputationRep:
    No point thinking like that You're doing your best, which is all that can be expected. If you develop a good relationship with your supervisors, they aren't unreasonable (in my experience - I know some people are unlucky)
    And yeh - I also need to be more organised next term!
    Thanks! I suppose I am being stupid doing this but a couple of my supervisors are pretty scary

ReputationRep:
    Access It's basically all I've wanted to do since I applied to Cambridge, so I thought I'd give it a shot. If I don't get it, then my friend will and we've promised each other that we'll both be heavily involved whoever gets it so hopefully I'll still be able to do loads of things. I think I'll just have to manage my time. I've managed to be assistant producer on the Freshers play this term and keep up with all of that pretty well despite having lots of work, so we'll see. It's just something I really really want to do because of the experiences I've had, so it's worth some small sacrifices I think.
    Oooh, good luck with that! I don't think I'll be standing for anything on my college's JCR but if I did, it would probably be Access.

ReputationRep:
    Access It's basically all I've wanted to do since I applied to Cambridge, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
    You can also compete for it next year.
    Eurgh, I'm starving and have no food And just turned down two people offering to buy me chips from Gardies... why??
    Text/call them!
    I just ate my last chocolate :coma:
    Thanks! I suppose I am being stupid doing this but a couple of my supervisors are pretty scary
    No worries. Last year I did what you're doing now and I still missed deadlines in spite of it Not fun.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, sounds painful! I've just done my Spanish translation and my Use of Spanish. Only Spanish oral work, French oral work and seminar reading to go for tonight (so no sleep, basically!).
    I did my Spanish translation four days early this week :eek: I think I love translation a bit too much... I have two chapters of Russian (2-3 hours each) and a Use of Russian sheet (1.5-2 hours) due for tomorrow that haven't been done. I just can't get them done, it's not possible. The first Russian chapter took me four hours in total, and I still don't completely understand it

ReputationRep:
    You can also compete for it next year.

Text/call them!
    I just ate my last chocolate :coma:
    I'm not sure if I can actually... My term as officer would run into the Michaelmas of my third year, when I'll be Year Abroading. I think that's why we had four of our eight first year linguists applying for ECSU positions this year

They already came back... I have located some noodles but no clean bowls, and now have the dilemma of whether perifrasis verbales take precedence over washing up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I can actually... My term as officer would run into the Michaelmas of my third year, when I'll be Year Abroading. I think that's why we had four of our eight first year linguists applying for ECSU positions this year

They already came back... I have located some noodles but no clean bowls, and now have the dilemma of whether perifrasis verbales take precedence over washing up.
    Erk. Hard luck on both accounts.

Right. I need to read 7 pages before returning. Speak a bit later :creep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.