Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    No point thinking like that :console: You're doing your best, which is all that can be expected. If you develop a good relationship with your supervisors, they aren't unreasonable (in my experience - I know some people are unlucky)
    And yeh - I also need to be more organised next term!
    Hmm I also feel this way (that I'm very close to being a waste of space academically, and that I'm too lazy) but the problem is, when can I say I've done my best and feel content? I could always have procrastinated or gone out less... I guess it's an acquired skill to learn how to work and not to feel guilty, but I haven't got the hang of it yet!

Anyway, essay somehow finished, good night and good luck people

ReputationRep:
    My brain used to switch off at 10pm, this appears to have been pushed back to four. I just fell asleep on my laptop again so am going to bed. Four hours sleep here I come. Hope everyone still up manages to get their work done on time x

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 4 seems to be the place to stop. I'll just finish the current reading and collapse.
    (Original post by Miam!)
    Hmm I also feel this way (that I'm very close to being a waste of space academically, and that I'm too lazy) but the problem is, when can I say I've done my best and feel content? I could always have procrastinated or gone out less... I guess it's an acquired skill to learn how to work and not to feel guilty, but I haven't got the hang of it yet!
    Well the feelings are certainly worth ignoring, as they're pretty common. Also remember that there's a spectrum, and if you actually lived up to the [supposed] ideal you'd literally kill yourself, dropping dead with exhaustion. You can't really trust yourself to be objective about 'how hard' you've been trying. I think if you stay up this late when ill to get work done, its safe to say you're doing as much as you can be expected to, and more than you should be forcing upon yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Waaaayy :yawn: Tomorrow is impossible, but at least I'm too tired to think about that now.

:goodnight:

ReputationRep:
    showertimez :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Ah, I'm usually rather towards the back. Weirdly enough, I always though that the people in the front were the Trinitarians. I think the sewing girl always wears a Trinity scarf?
    Well, yes, she is from Trinity, but the rest of the group is Emma. Usually 5 of us go.

ReputationRep:
    God I hate mondays. Exposition, 2 hours of lectures and 2 supervisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Our head of department is one of the main critics of Dan Everett, the guy making all the crazyish claims - they were debating on the radio last week. And we had an informal lecture on it, 'twas cool.
    wow. ive been looking into taking linguistics part II. i cant decide what i want to study, that or carry on with arabuc, but the main thing stopping me doing linguistics is i think my career prospects wont be so great with a linguistics degree, compared to arabic at least, and in linguistics part II there is no year abroad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    Yay! Someone else doing linguistics! I only do Li.1 (introduction to general linguistics) as one of my papers though, not the whole thing.. Are you in the Li.1 lectures by any chance? (I don't know if they're part of the "pure" tripos)
    hey there, i see you do japanese with a linguistics module, so do the AMES faculty officially allow us to take a linguistics module or are you just doing it on the sly lol? because i didnt know we have that option available to us and i'd like to look into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    Yay! Someone else doing linguistics! I only do Li.1 (introduction to general linguistics) as one of my papers though, not the whole thing.. Are you in the Li.1 lectures by any chance? (I don't know if they're part of the "pure" tripos)
    Yep, I am doing that module, although I only go to about half the lectures as I'm doing other modules in most of the topics - I went to phonetics, and go to all of the Thursday semantics lectures. Hmm, only around 10 people turn up to each lecture, so now you have Craggy's description you'll probably notice me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavalse)
    wow. ive been looking into taking linguistics part II. i cant decide what i want to study, that or carry on with arabuc, but the main thing stopping me doing linguistics is i think my career prospects wont be so great with a linguistics degree, compared to arabic at least, and in linguistics part II there is no year abroad...
    Linguistics part II is really awesome, but the whole course is designed around the assumption that you're pretty obsessed with the subject, and most people who do it (myself definitely included ) are. As for career prospects... well, I don't intend to think about my career any time soon (thank god for further study), but linguistics seems to let you do all the "generic degree" stuff like journalism, office work, and law along with the somewhat sciency stuff like banking, and you can also do speech and language therapy if you like that sort of thing. So yeah, for the most part its not a terribly vocational degree, unlike Arabic. Anyway, I suggest you talk to Bert Vaux about things if you're interested in doing part II.

ReputationRep:
    Well my presentation went as badly as expected. Suffice it to say that after I finished I had to reexplain the thing all ovver again, and after the other presentations had finished I explained it over. I'l probably have to finish explaining air brakes at the supervision. however, apparently our mech supervision is tomorrow not today, which is a relief. Begs the question why I thought it was today, given that we're already had 3 of them...

ReputationRep:
    I've had two really good supervisions this morning. Feel really positive about them, which makes a change. And my essays weren't bad. I got at least a 2.1 for my Weber essay, which pleases me

ReputationRep:
    Well done Brim Do they grade your essays, then? Last year they generally only graded about one essay per subject each term to give us a rough idea, while still avoiding placing emphasis on that aspect. This term I haven't had any of my work graded. End of term meeting with tutor could be interesting :rolleyes:

I just missed a lecture because I forgot about it I'm so focused on this draft I had to write, that I was planning my day around more reading and writing. So irritating! I hate missing lectures needlessly :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    ack, 30 pages since i last went on TSR! have only just caught up with the sleep i missed by doing the law ball. Which was awesome, incidentally. We had a lot of fun and it all went pretty smoothly. But after getting to bed on someone's floor at 6am then getting up again at 10 to go to work, followed by a 7 mile cycle ride to the boat and 2 hours moving the boat in the dark, we finally got to bed when we moored at waterbeach at 9.30pm. I only just woke up!

ReputationRep:
    Grrr. :mad: Every geology practical so far, the 3 of us from Christ's have sat in the same place. But today, some morons decided to bring some variety into their live by stealing our places, so we had to sit somewhere else. :shoot:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Quite a lot. I have two friends who stopped rowing after developing a circulatory disorder (nearly losing fingers) and another repetitive strain injury, and whatever the related chronic form is.
    Erp! I already HAVE a circulatory disorder... This makes me think that maybe winter rowing isn't going to be good for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Grrr. :mad: Every geology practical so far, the 3 of us from Christ's have sat in the same place. But today, some morons decided to bring some variety into their live by stealing our places, so we had to sit somewhere else. :shoot:
    Oh come on, it isn't high school anymore...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    Erp! I already HAVE a circulatory disorder... This makes me think that maybe winter rowing isn't going to be good for me...
    Erm.. I'm actually scared now.. considering my left foot was paralyzed for quite a bit while waiting for our turn in the race on Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    I should really do at least a bit of work today.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.