Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I'm not stopping you drinking it :p:

chelsea bun anyone? :ninja:
    :coma: No, I have had lots of Chelsea buns over the last week, I will not go out and buy another one. Honest.

(Original post by Tom)
    Your tutor may or may not care at all about bothering with those forms. I know I gave up filling mine out after the first two terms, and nobody cared / complained.

Also supervision reports shouldn't be too scary to discuss provided you've been to them all and actually done the work. The only time my tutor ever evinced any concern at all beyond "your supervision reports all look OK. Ok for you? Yes? See you next term" was when I pissed a supervisor off by missing one super and not having the work on time for another.
    I hope he doesn't care about the forms :p: And I have been to all of them, and have (sort of) done the work. Sort of meaning most of the time I am not looking forward to meeting my tutor.

(Original post by Llamaaa)
    I got predicted a 3rd/fail from one supervisor last year. One the year before told me that I didn't deserve to be in Cambridge. A trifle unfair, I think, as I always do the work, and my exams haven't been complete disasters
    That is harsh Worse than what mine said. Although ask me again this evening...

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, I have to do computing today, and couldn't finish the tasks in the first session. This means that I have to go to the second one, and will probably have to stay till the end, leaving me no time to have another last gasp at that mechanics. I just found out that my supervision partner has more or less finished the paper. Even worse, after I said that I had had significant trouble on it and had done less than half, he said that he would work on it over lunchtime and try to finish it. That is just mean This supervision is going to be almost unbearable. If he said that I was slipping because I didn't do the last 3 questions, what is he going to say when he finds out that I've done less than half of this one?

ReputationRep:
    You all talk about your supervision reports with your tutor? We discuss them in our end-of-term DoS meeting (and boy does he discuss them :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    When wil sainsbury's be emptier: now, or in about 2/3 hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    When wil sainsbury's be emptier: now, or in about 2/3 hours?
    Now.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I went about 3pm on Friday and it was pretty quiet.

I discuss mine with my DoS. Tutor meetings go roughly as follows:
    'How's this term gone for you?'
    'Ok'
    'Any problems at all that need sorting out?'
    'Nope'
    'Great, see you next term!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    I discuss mine with my DoS. Tutor meetings go roughly as follows:
    'How's this term gone for you?'
    'Ok'
    'Any problems at all that need sorting out?'
    'Nope'
    'Great, see you next term!'
    Yep, ditto!

The thing is, even if I did have any problems I probably wouldn't bother discussing them with my tutor.

ReputationRep:
    *trots off to sainsbury's*
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If I have any problems I discuss them with my DoS. I find it so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    You all talk about your supervision reports with your tutor? We discuss them in our end-of-term DoS meeting (and boy does he discuss them :rolleyes: )
    Both. My DoS meetings are usually very quick.. 'everything ok' 'yep' 'ok have a good holiday'.

My tutor meetings are usually a bit more involved, and I do have to speak to him about alot of other things (extra arrangements for exams, arrangements for vac residence, arrangements for visiting relatives using the college guestroom etc etc etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Both. My DoS meetings are usually very quick.. 'everything ok' 'yep' 'ok have a good holiday'.

My tutor meetings are usually a bit more involved, and I do have to speak to him about alot of other things (extra arrangements for exams, arrangements for vac residence, arrangements for visiting relatives using the college guestroom etc etc etc)
    It's the complete opposite for me. Our tutor meetings are just a quick 2 minute catch-up to make sure we are still alive, but we spend 20-30 minutes at the end of each term with our DoS going through all the supervision reports and each paper to make sure we are happy with everything. He then also gets the opportunity to tell me to "get my backside into gear" when some of supervisors are mean about me on CamCors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    It's the complete opposite for me. Our tutor meetings are just a quick 2 minute catch-up to make sure we are still alive, but we spend 20-30 minutes at the end of each term with our DoS going through all the supervision reports and each paper to make sure we are happy with everything. He then also gets the opportunity to tell me to "get my backside into gear" when some of supervisors are mean about me on CamCors.
    Law sounds really awful though, to be frank. Llamaa was telling us some of her experiences, and one of minimo's law friends too - and they're just plain nasty!
    My DoS is really nice. She's strict, but she's definitely understanding if there are any real issues, and all of my supervisors have been really nice with reports so far, and just in general. I suppose this could change *doesn't think about the report*

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I think Dr Pattenden probably will care about the self-assessment form, being the senior tutor. I have him this year so I may fill it in for the first time ever. Although it's supposed to be done by 5. And I'm tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I always thought it would be hypocritical to have a privately-educated access officer. "Cambridge isn't full of privately-educated people- you have as much chance as anyone getting in" "did you go to a state school? "errr, no". I know I certainly wouldn't be impressed by that
    He did go to a state grammar - a very good one, but still a state school. Not quite the same as my inner-city comprehensive, where there's been two stabbings in the last six months

Eek, I just logged on to Camcors out of curiosity and have discovered that I'll be getting a report for my Western Culture seminars, which basically consists of an hour of me sleeping on Thursday evenings. Oh dear... And also one for 'Use of French' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't log on to CamCors last time I tried

EDIT: After a bit of jiggery ppokery it would seem that I do not yet have an account on there. This is promising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I couldn't log on to CamCors last time I tried

EDIT: After a bit of jiggery ppokery it would seem that I do not yet have an account on there. This is promising
    As mentioned before, there is absolutely no point in you doing that, as no information will be put up until a few days after your end of term meeting with Dr P. You will get an email round then prompting you.

ReputationRep:
    hahahrhrhr no work 4 me dis week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    hahahrhrhr no work 4 me dis week.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly he hasn't got any supervisions left. I still have one this week, and two next week... I think.

ReputationRep:
    because me am ill. so instead of doing wretched maths, i just have to make sick.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had pneumonia last week. Didn't stop him going ice skating, though...

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.