Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    That's what they all say :rolleyes:

I'm freezing What time do they turn off the heating in SPT, ukebert? Here its always midnight :dry:
    I'm having cherry tomatoes now thanks to you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I'm having cherry tomatoes now thanks to you :p:
    Hah - glad to be having such a healthful influence :p:

Ok.. I've wasted two hours...

This is why I really need a 24hour library. For all of last year, and this term, its always been the easiest to start working properly in the late afternoon or early evening and simply to keep going. Once I get locked into concentration and don't have anything else left on the agenda that day, I can get loads done and remain focused.
    What happens is I'll work until the library closes at midnight, come home, get myself some caffeine and a snack, catch up on emails/facebook/TSR and often chat a bit with people in my house. Next thing I know its 2am and I start to feel too tired to work!
    This is really frustrating when I am under severe time pressure. I know that I would manage to keep at my work in a library till 2 or 3am. Because I'm there and there's no internet or food or other people, it doesn't take as much effort to stick it out. By the time I get back after midnight I'm usually very tired, and its far more of an effort to restart, so to speak.

:banghead:

Monday night I read for 8 hours.. from about 4 in the afternoon with a brief visit to hall. The week before I managed 12hours.. its just that no matter how hard I try its extremely hard to get into any kind of concentration before I've cleared lectures, supervisions etc out of the path.

ReputationRep:

I'm freezing What time do they turn off the heating in SPT, ukebert? Here its always midnight :dry:
    They turn your heating off every day :eek: ? Complain! My radiator was broken this weekend and the weekend before, and on Monday I went to the Senior Tutor _and_ to the Head of Maintenance and complained. I was polite but made it absolutely clear that this is not a minor issue for me because sleeping at 13° for multiple days is not good for your health if you're not used to it.
    The Senior Tutor was very nice, he told me that he didn't even know about the broken heating, and that he would talk to the relevant people about it. Fingers crossed that it won't break down again next weekend...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    They turn your heating off every day :eek: ? Complain! My radiator was broken this weekend and the weekend before, and on Monday I went to the Senior Tutor _and_ to the Head of Maintenance and complained. I was polite but made it absolutely clear that this is not a minor issue for me because sleeping at 13° for multiple days is not good for your health if you're not used to it.
    The Senior Tutor was very nice, he told me that he didn't even know about the broken heating, and that he would talk to the relevant people about it. Fingers crossed that it won't break down again next weekend...
    They have our radiators on timers. They're probably on for about 12hours of every day. 6 in the morning and 6 in the evening (I think) This is usually fine, except on the really cold days. Yeh I should probably add it to the 200 things I need to complain about.

ReputationRep:

Here is always warm I don't use the heating, remember? The hot water pipe keeps me too warm anyway :hmpf:

Hah - glad to be having such a healthful influence :p:

Ok.. I've wasted two hours...

This is why I really need a 24hour library. For all of last year, and this term, its always been the easiest to start working properly in the late afternoon or early evening and simply to keep going. Once I get locked into concentration and don't have anything else left on the agenda that day, I can get loads done and remain focused.
    What happens is I'll work until the library closes at midnight, come home, get myself some caffeine and a snack, catch up on emails/facebook/TSR and often chat a bit with people in my house. Next thing I know its 2am and I start to feel too tired to work!
    This is really frustrating when I am under severe time pressure. I know that I would manage to keep at my work in a library till 2 or 3am. Because I'm there and there's no internet or food or other people, it doesn't take as much effort to stick it out. By the time I get back after midnight I'm usually very tired, and its far more of an effort to restart, so to speak.

:banghead:

Monday night I read for 8 hours.. from about 4 in the afternoon with a brief visit to hall. The week before I managed 12hours.. its just that no matter how hard I try its extremely hard to get into any kind of concentration before I've cleared lectures, supervisions etc out of the path.
    I agree with all of the above. Today might not have been so disastrous if I could either work in my room (I physically can't) or if there was a 24 hour library.

And I am exactly the same. I find it very difficult to work, say, in between lectures and ssupervisions, even if I have a few hours free.

And I wish I had cherry tomatoes. I wasn't sure what was missing from my life, but that was it I haven't had any since I came here. I ate cherry tomatoes in Lofoten, it was my first piece of veg for a fortnight I think. I paid at least £5 for a small box and wolfed most of them down in the first sitting :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Here is always warm I don't use the heating, remember? The hot water pipe keeps me too warm anyway :hmpf:

I agree with all of the above. Today might not have been so disastrous if I could either work in my room (I physically can't) or if there was a 24 hour library.

And I am exactly the same. I find it very difficult to work, say, in between lectures and ssupervisions, even if I have a few hours free.

And I wish I had cherry tomatoes. I wasn't sure what was missing from my life, but that was it I haven't had any since I came here. I ate cherry tomatoes in Lofoten, it was my first piece of veg for a fortnight I think. I paid at least £5 for a small box and wolfed most of them down in the first sitting :o:
    Sweetie, you were ripped off, mine are 99p :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cherry tomatoes are one of the few items where its worth buying Sainsburys 'taste the difference' :coma: Those are heavenly.

We should do this ukebert... write to Golding and ask for that all night workspace...

ReputationRep:
    That was Norway though. They're famous for being ridiculously expensive to visitors.

ReputationRep:
    Gnargh!!!!

I'm determined to finish this introduction before I go to sleep :hmpf:

Its probably the most important introduction I've written..but nonetheless.. :rolleyes:

Oh and I applied for a CRB check this evening Volunteered for the shadowing scheme. Of course another question is whether its sensible to let some undecided kid shadow me - I'm not exactly typical Hmm. Last year Lent was pretty good as far as ADC and stuff went. Lets hope I strike lucky and there's a good talk and a good play on at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    This was in Norway, where such things as a slice of pizza can cost upwardds of £7 :hmpf:

Cherry tomatoes are one of the few items where its worth buying Sainsburys 'taste the difference' :coma: Those are heavenly.

We should do this ukebert... write to Golding and ask for that all night workspace...
    We should. And I will need it next term, seriously. I think I will end up working on the landing in preference to my room otherwise.

Gnargh!!!!

I'm determined to finish this introduction before I go to sleep :hmpf:

Its probably the most important introduction I've written..but nonetheless.. :rolleyes:

Oh and I applied for a CRB check this evening Volunteered for the shadowing scheme. Of course another question is whether its sensible to let some undecided kid shadow me - I'm not exactly typical Hmm.
    Hope it goes well I really should be doing work at the moment, but unfortunately I'm posting on here to keep my mind off things.

ReputationRep:
    I think I will end up working on the landing in preference to my room otherwise.
    You laugh - I very nearly did that the other night! :dry:
    Hope it goes well I really should be doing work at the moment, but unfortunately I'm posting on here to keep my mind off things.
    Erk :hugs: Try not to get too downcast. You have Christmas to work at stuff, and the revision period is also really good for hammering things into your head that refused to click during the year (I found)

ReputationRep:
    You laugh - I very nearly did that the other night! :dry:

Erk :hugs: Try not to get too downcast. You have Christmas to work at stuff, and the revision period is also really good for hammering things into your head that refused to click during the year (I found)
    Our landing is actually quite comfortable, it has a chair, no laptop and isn't that hot. It is rather a thoroughfare though...

And I know, and I'm banking on it. It is just very depressing that I am finding it this difficult to begin with. I spent in the region of 16 hours on that examples paper and finished under half of it. Everybody else seems to have spent around 6 hours on it and have finished virtually all of it. My supervision partner had one part of one question that he couldn't do.

My immediate worry is whether I can get away with the next week or so. I am now behind in everything again, for reasons that escape me, just thinking about the amount of work that I have to do is scaring me a little. I am not looking forward to my meeting with Dr Pattenden, just because I will be honest with him. I identify myself as an Engineer, I think like an Engineer, I love (parts of) Engineering, but I am finding this so difficult, so unintuitive (parts of it), so unsatisfying, in many ways, that I don't know whether I'll be able to get through it. I can't change courses, I'm not talented enough for Maths, NatSci I would find dull, the only other courses that I'm interested in are PPS and Arch and Anth, and I wouldn't last a week. And all of that is irrelevant, since there is no way that I could possibly catch up a term's work.

I'll feel better in the morning I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'll feel better in the morning I think.
    :console: My first term was harder than the second, and I certainly took (and take) far longer than many people I know to do my work. Remember that there were several parts of this term where you let work slip. Next term if you're organised, you'll spread it out evenly and will have time to work longer on trickier bits as they come up.
    I would advise you to try not to compare yourself with other engineers in college - it will just make matters worse.

In other news:

- I have written one sentence
    - I have changed my usertitle :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    :console: My first term was harder than the second, and I certainly took (and take) far longer than many people I know to do my work. Remember that there were several parts of this term where you let work slip. Next term if you're organised, you'll spread it out evenly and will have time to work longer on trickier bits as they come up.
    I would advise you to try not to compare yourself with other engineers in college - it will just make matters worse.

In other news:

- I have written one sentence
    - I have changed my usertitle :rofl:
    You are officially moore productive than me

And thanks for making me feel better :hugs: I did let work slip this term, most of which were my own fault. I don't think that I am doing too much, nor do I think that I shouldn't have gone sailing that week. However it is very very true what they say. If you take just a few days out, say after a supervision when you don't have another one till the next week, then you'll be buggered in a week's time.

I am praying that my difficulty in understanding some of the stuff stems from this rather than generic inability.

ReputationRep:
    I am praying that my difficulty in understanding some of the stuff stems from this rather than generic inability.
    Well there's absolutely no point dwelling on that aspect of it, as it isn't one you can do anything about. You can look at your time management and organise yourself better for next term. Try to hold off worst-case-scenario thoughts until you've done so and it hasn't worked :rolleyes:
    Anyway.. what part of being 'challenged' by your degree wasn't understood? :p: (in general, I mean.. not just you) Most people question there ability at some point or another. Its kind of inevitable - nobody is going to be naturally brilliant at every part of their course, and there will always be examples of people around who happen to find that particular area dead easy.
    My current essay sent me a bit crazy this week. I think I've got it now, but philosophy is hard!

ReputationRep:
    Well there's absolutely no point dwelling on that aspect of it, as it isn't one you can do anything about. You can look at your time management and organise yourself better for next term. Try to hold off worst-case-scenario thoughts until you've done so and it hasn't worked :rolleyes:
    Anyway.. what part of being 'challenged' by your degree wasn't understood? :p: (in general, I mean.. not just you) Most people question there ability at some point or another. Its kind of inevitable - nobody is going to be naturally brilliant at every part of their course, and there will always be examples of people around who happen to find that particular area dead easy.
    My current essay sent me a bit crazy this week. I think I've got it now, but philosophy is hard!
    This is all quite true. And although I did know that they would start off at full pelt I hadn't quite anticipated that keeping up would be this tricky. With any luck, and with no free time over christmas, I should be able to assess whether I can do the course better next term.

every part? One part would do me :p:

I was going to say something else vaguely relevant but have forgotten it now.

And glad to hear that you've got the hang of Philosophy. It probably woudl have taken me more than a weekend to grasp a set of thinking so diverse as philosophy, so you're not doing badly Yeah, yeah, I'm tired.

ReputationRep:
    This is all quite true. And although I did know that they would start off at full pelt I hadn't quite anticipated that keeping up would be this tricky. With any luck, and with no free time over christmas, I should be able to assess whether I can do the course better next term.

every part? One part would do me :p:
    Meh.. I guess I was lucky in that A level Chemistry nearly sent me to an early grave, so I was pretty wary when I started the course, and didn't take it lying down.
    I was going to say something else vaguely relevant but have forgotten it now.
    Go to sleep! I'm heading off at four, introduction or no!

And glad to hear that you've got the hang of Philosophy. It probably woudl have taken me more than a weekend to grasp a set of thinking so diverse as philosophy, so you're not doing badly Yeah, yeah, I'm tired.
    Nah, it sounds more impressive than it is. The question was very simple, but it was hiding behind some confusing and scary terminology, which necessitated several hours of screwed up concentration while I tweezered the meaning from each begrudging sentence :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Woooohooooo! Finished the example sheet. I'm quite happy now :yep: .

ReputationRep:
    Awesome :five:

My brain isn't forming sentences anymore (well...at least not the sort pertaining to epistemology and inquiry...) and this just happened. So I might as well go to bed :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Meh.. I guess I was lucky in that A level Chemistry nearly sent me to an early grave, so I was pretty wary when I started the course, and didn't take it lying down.
    Go to sleep! I'm heading off at four, introduction or no!
    Nah, it sounds more impressive than it is. The question was very simple, but it was hiding behind some confusing and scary terminology, which necessitated several hours of screwed up concentration while I tweezered the meaning from each begrudging sentence :shifty:
    Heh, AS Level chemistry didn't quite, and obviously I hadn't done any work for a year and a bit when I started. That's my excuse for the first week, I have lots of others, all as weak :p:

And I hate questions like that. And it's got to the point where I can only just understand what I'm typing. Ah, it is 4am. Since when is it 4am? This is vexing, I have a 9am tomorrow. What is it? Ah, it is Linear Circuits. The lecture series that I have so far slept through 60% of. Not good :p:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Woooohooooo! Finished the example sheet. I'm quite happy now :yep: .
    I hate you with all the fire of a thousand suns :dry:

Nah, well done I finished one today Shame the supervision on it was yesterday...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.