Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so, so, so very stupid.

All my friends are in formal right now... I'm eating a cheese toasty... why? Because I thought I'd bought a ticket, and in fact hadn't.
    What the hell?!!

:O

ReputationRep:
    *whimpers* My brain hurts! I've been writing all afternoon and only have 600 words to answer for my efforts. Deadline is tomorrow morning :ahhhhh:

Right.. back offline I go :getmecoat:

Oh bad news: our library is introducing wireless... :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    sure

*sends invite*
    I'm not going to be able to actually come to the party, and that does kind of remove the point of me joining in. Sorry to have messed you around!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, sometimes I wish I could write something sensible and/or read it for essay plans. The one I'm currently looking at appears to say (word for word) "intro - most mulistic systems blah de blah opacity?" Will be fun turning that into an introduction...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    The one I'm currently looking at appears to say (word for word) "intro - most mulistic systems blah de blah opacity?" Will be fun turning that into an introduction...
    You mean that's not a suitable introduction as is? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    You mean that's not a suitable introduction as is? :confused:
    Actually, if I were to replace the word "mulistic" with something that actually meant something, like "linguistic", that' be my entire essay done. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm finally back from my day with my mum. have very clearly missed the table tennis match I was supposed to be captaining, and not not yet finished the reading for the essay that is due in in 12 hours, when i need an absolute minimum of 10 hours sleep. This is not going to be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    *whimpers* My brain hurts! I've been writing all afternoon and only have 600 words to answer for my efforts. Deadline is tomorrow morning :ahhhhh:

Right.. back offline I go :getmecoat:

Oh bad news: our library is introducing wireless... :dry:
    Huh? Didn't they do that last year? I spent a month or so when I kept forgetting to get an ethernet cable using the library wireless to connect from my room.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid problem sheets: IMO converting between eV and J and amu and kg is not physics, it's an irrelevant annoyance.

Clearly our lecturer has other ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I got up at 8.55 this morning to book xmas formal tickets when they were put online at 9 - they finally went up at about 5.30 :rolleyes:

My boyfriend's been told to go to second year lectures I was delighted with myself because I got 100% in our Russian cases test, and then felt dwarfed in comparison to his cleverness... Still happy about my test though

ReputationRep:
    7. An atom of atomic number Z has Z electrons in stationary states that we may assume, as a first
    approximation, to be those of one electron in a hydrogenic atom with some effective value of Z (less than the
    actual value, to allow for screening of the electric charge on the nucleus by other electrons). In other words,
    we have states labelled by the same quantum numbers n, ℓ,m as in the hydrogen atom, and with each energy
    level having the same degeneracies (E = En, independent of both ℓ and m). Moreover, because the electron
    is a particle of spin 1/2 there are two degenerate electron states for each one allowed by the Schr¨odinger
    equation. Given that each state can be occupied by just one electron (Pauli exclusion principle), and that
    in the atomic ground state the lowest energy electron states are occupied (compatibly with this principle),
    show that the n = 1 level is filled for atomic number Z = 2, i.e. a Helium atom.

what the devil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    7. An atom of atomic number Z has Z electrons in stationary states that we may assume, as a first
    approximation, to be those of one electron in a hydrogenic atom with some effective value of Z (less than the
    actual value, to allow for screening of the electric charge on the nucleus by other electrons). In other words,
    we have states labelled by the same quantum numbers n, ℓ,m as in the hydrogen atom, and with each energy
    level having the same degeneracies (E = En, independent of both ℓ and m). Moreover, because the electron
    is a particle of spin 1/2 there are two degenerate electron states for each one allowed by the Schr¨odinger
    equation. Given that each state can be occupied by just one electron (Pauli exclusion principle), and that
    in the atomic ground state the lowest energy electron states are occupied (compatibly with this principle),
    show that the n = 1 level is filled for atomic number Z = 2, i.e. a Helium atom.

what the devil.
    I wouldn't be able to tell you, I'm clearly about to drop out, what with being a girl and everything :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    My boyfriend's been told to go to second year lectures
    What subject does he do?

Have fun with that...

ReputationRep:
    No worries alex, I didn't think you were going to come but...

Seeing as I'm hosting this at mine, I've also invited my friend that lots of you met when we went to the Chop House for desserts She knows you're all dodgy internet people so it's all good.

ReputationRep:

what the devil.
    Makes sense to me - I think that kind of thing is explained in Why Chemical Reactions Happen by Wothers and Keeler. Basically the Schroedinger equation only works perfectly for one electron on a single hydrogen atom, but we can use it as an approximation for electrons on other atoms, although we have to reduce the predicted energy a little as a result of other electrons on the atom blocking a little the charge a given electron experiences from the nucleus. (this gives us Z effective) And we're describing each electron as the same (degenerate) at a given energy level (principal quantum number), so as all electrons exist in two different states (the spin is 1/2), two electrons fit in the lowest energy level of a helium atom, as you can only have one of each state at once and there is only one atomic orbital. And it's of the lowest energy, so it fills up first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Makes sense to me - I think that kind of thing is explained in Why Chemical Reactions Happen by Wothers and Keeler. Basically the Schroedinger equation only works perfectly for one electron on a single hydrogen atom, but we can use it as an approximation for electrons on other atoms, although we have to reduce the predicted energy a little as a result of other electrons on the atom blocking a little the charge a given electron experiences from the nucleus. (this gives us Z effective) And we're describing each electron as the same (degenerate) at a given energy level (principal quantum number), so as all electrons exist in two different states (the spin is 1/2), two electrons fit in the lowest energy level of a helium atom, as you can only have one of each state at once and there is only one atomic orbital. And it's of the lowest energy, so it fills up first.
    That seems to be fairly straightforward, but surely a Maths question that long would want some hardcore calculations as an answer, not some common sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I got up at 8.55 this morning to book xmas formal tickets when they were put online at 9 - they finally went up at about 5.30 :rolleyes:

My boyfriend's been told to go to second year lectures I was delighted with myself because I got 100% in our Russian cases test, and then felt dwarfed in comparison to his cleverness... Still happy about my test though
    Oooh, well done you!

(I thought I should comment, as I'm probably the only one here who understands quite how confusing that table is...)

By comparison, my supervisors tell me things such as, "I think you should get this book [holds up 'Upgrade Your German']", and "Are you sure you're not supposed to be in the remedial grammar set?" :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    That seems to be fairly straightforward, but surely a Maths question that long would want some hardcore calculations as an answer, not some common sense?
    Lol, I missed that it was a question, didn't see the word "show." Yeah, enjoy your calculations...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Current word count: 160.
    Level of understanding how Nietzsche is making normative claims and is not merely descriptive in his talk of morality: zero.

ReputationRep:
    What subject does he do?
    Maffs

(Original post by K.T.)
    Oooh, well done you!

(I thought I should comment, as I'm probably the only one here who understands quite how confusing that table is...)

By comparison, my supervisors tell me things such as, "I think you should get this book [holds up 'Upgrade Your German']", and "Are' you sure you're not supposed to be in the remedial grammar set?"
    Yay, thank you It was only the endings in all the cases singular and plural for 'new table', 'beautiful cow' and 'big window' so it wasn't too difficult, I just memorised all of them. But even so, I was the only one who managed 100% so I was happy (And by contrast, Spanish isn't so great, but there we are...)

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Corpus Christi College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    Pembroke College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.