Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Strangely none of us find the prospect particularly amusing :rolleyes:
    Oh lighten up Craggy, I have been there you know. Probably even worse given that I've been through finals. It's just very strange (and yes kind of funny) seeing it from an outside perspective for the first time.

ReputationRep:
    Argh!
    Worked from 2pm to 6:30. Ate dinner. Worked from 7pm to 9pm. Got caffeine and discussed essay plan with friend till 10pm. Worked till midnight. Imbibed more caffeine and talked to housemate till about 1am. Worked through to 6:30am. Took a nap till 7am. Woke up and decided I couldn't see my laptop straight. Took a longer nap till 9:30, have now woken and written another line. I'm over the 2000word mark but need another 500 very good words. The 'easy' bit is done, and this is the most important part and ideally the essay would have been sent in 10mins :bawling:

I feel physically ill but I really have no choice (first draft for assessed essay NOT supervision essay, the latter of which I still have two)

EDIT: First years do not try this at home! (:rolleyes:)
    :console: That sounds dreadful Poor Craggy.

(Original post by minimo)
    secret santa
    It is looking increasingly like I will be there in the same way that Craggy will me, i.e. if I've done enough work then I will come. This means that it would be difficult re: the actual secret santa part, but if at all possible I will come along anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking it may be an idea to cancel the gift side of the secret santa with numbers being so uncertain.

In any case can those who haven't replied to the FB invite do so asap.

ReputationRep:
    I am excited, I'm going to Mexican Caius hall and then going to Trinity formal hall tonight, then I might not eat for a week

ReputationRep:
    I'm in much the same postion re: secret santa - it'd be cool to go though. So much work still...

ReputationRep:

I hope work eases up for you.

On the work vs uni debate. I can't fathom how work could be more laborious. I'm forever grumbling at my parents that I have to study all the time and they have nothing to do when they're not in the office. Unless you're working insane hours/bringing lots of work home, it surely can't be worse than uni. I also can't quite figure out how one can get away with doing 1 hr of work a day at Cambridge in an essay-based subject....
    Well, I think it's just because the hours seem to add up. Being at work means that I'm there till around 5.30 and then by the time I've bussed/walked home, it's 6.30, then another hour cooking dinner and eating, makes it around 8pm. Then I barely have two hours in which to do house stuff - washing up, laundry, etc. And well, personal time goes out of the window.

As for how little I did at university, somehow it worked out. I probably would have got a first if I spent longer, but I think an hour or two a day apart from lectures and supervisions was more than enough for me. Obviously spent a lot longer during revision periods.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking it may be an idea to cancel the gift side of the secret santa with numbers being so uncertain.

In any case can those who haven't replied to the FB invite do so asap.
    Secret Santa? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post15464733 Lookie everyone!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post15464733 Lookie everyone!
    Current students only? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Current students only? :p:
    That was put in to deters randomers/people applying etc. They voted in the poll Craggy made earlier on this term and it was a pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    :eek: The 'thought' part of my german course (Kant, Freud, Marx, Habermas) is my favourite part of the degree so far... I was saddened when my seminar got cancelled this week
    :five: Can't wait to cover Habermas properly next term! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Oh lighten up Craggy
    No :shifty: I really hate being told to 'lighten up' by people. All it really says is that the issues that I find relevant/interesting/important are worthless to you, and that you don't have patience or interest in hearing them out.
    I have been there you know.
    You have.
    Probably even worse given that I've been through finals. It's just very strange (and yes kind of funny) seeing it from an outside perspective for the first time.
    Fair does

ReputationRep:
    No :shifty: I really hate being told to 'lighten up' by people. All it really says is that the issues that I find relevant/interesting/important are worthless to you, and that you don't have patience or interest in hearing them out.
    No all it says is that in this particular context responding with a rude comment and a :rolleyes: when I was making a perfectly light-hearted comment is unreasonable.

I never implied that any issues that are important to you are worthless to me, I don't know how that follows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    That's ridiculous :eek: I'd say skip 'em anyway and just laugh at whoever's running them if they try to pressure college into sending you a bill. So long as your supervisors for your assessed modules are happy with your work I can't see the college having much grounds to stir trouble over your attendance or attainment.
    Fully agreed!
    (Original post by Tom)
    edit2: also I just saw the "neeks" thread. Now I understand the user-title.
    :rofl: I laughed out loud when some random guy just quoted me and yelled NEEEKK!! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    No all it says is that in this particular context responding with a rude comment and a :rolleyes: when I was making a perfectly light-hearted comment is unreasonable.
    It wasn't my intention to be rude - I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think it's just because the hours seem to add up. Being at work means that I'm there till around 5.30 and then by the time I've bussed/walked home, it's 6.30, then another hour cooking dinner and eating, makes it around 8pm. Then I barely have two hours in which to do house stuff - washing up, laundry, etc. And well, personal time goes out of the window.
    That may be... but then you have two whole days off called the weekend...

Personally i find uni much harder than working full time, even when i was doing ridiculous things like 55-60 hours per week, because even though you might spent more ime there, it's not something you necessarily have to care that much about, and when you go hoe you can forget about it. I find myself with lingering perpetual guilt as to the amount of work i do at uni, apart from times like now when i know full well that i'm doing ridiculous amounts, because i don't know how i would fit it all in otherwise...

As for how little I did at university, somehow it worked out. I probably would have got a first if I spent longer, but I think an hour or two a day apart from lectures and supervisions was more than enough for me. Obviously spent a lot longer during revision periods.
    I don't understand how any one can do so little - not just from an actually getting it done point of view, but also from the feeling that there's always so much more one could do, regardless of how much you've done - esp in an arts subject...

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, I've just written my JCR Manifesto *crosses fingers* I'm going for the role of Junior Treasurer for a term... excitement :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Basically the Schroedinger equation only works perfectly for one electron on a single hydrogen atom,.
    The Schrödinger equation works perfectly for as many electrons as you want. It just can't be solved.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post15464733

Please read this everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    I don't understand how any one can do so little - not just from an actually getting it done point of view, but also from the feeling that there's always so much more one could do, regardless of how much you've done - esp in an arts subject...
    This.

However much I read there will *always* be more and for me, personally, it's hard to get to a stage where one feels fulfilled.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.