Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I was friends with my boyfriend for ohhh 5 years before we started going out. We're still together 2 and a half years later

It can work and it can be extremely fulfilling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mappymappy)
    I have a very close guy friend who's fantastic. I've only really started to realise I really fancy him and I think he feels the same way. I'm a bit worried about the transition from friend/boyfriend and I wondered if any of you have or had a partner who started out as a friend and if you could give any adivce? I don't want to lose him as a friend so i dont wanna muck this up!
    thanks guys
    Really tough to answer because, it just depends how your relationship goes once you have made the switch. I think you both need to be mature enough to know that if it doesn't work out, that you can still be close to each other. I was best friends with a girl, and then we dated. She broke up with me cuz of another guy, so we didn't talk for about 5 years. Now we are best friends again, but the time that we were dating wasn't worth it to me to not be friends for 5 years.
    But that was what happened to me, and you will never know if you don't try, and you can't hide your feelings.
    Best of Luck!!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I was friends with my boyfriend for 2 years before we got together. Been going out for about 6 months now =) and it's great. I knew exactly what I was getting beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    I was very very good friends with this guy from college and then we got a bit 'too involved' with eacother emotionally and we're not friends anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its very very risky
    Because if he does say no, its gonna be real awkward for u guys

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure that, if you're going to get involved with him that way, you TELL him that you want him to be your boyfriend. A lot of guys really need it spelt out for them so they don't think you're just teasing them or something.
    Anyhoos, I've been with my boyfriend for two and a half years, and we were friends for two and a half years before that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Yeah its very very risky
    Because if he does say no, its gonna be real awkward for u guys
    Happened with a couple of my really close female friends. Didn't do any damage to the friendship - we're mature enough to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you finish the relationship and things don't work out, you can keep your friendship assuming both sides really want it. My ex and I have been best friends throughout our relationship, and we had the messiest break up ever (on-off-funny-eh-what-the-heck-erm-nevermind-screw-this type of situation) - it's been a year now, and we're still best friends.

Give it a go Good luck xx

(Original post by khil)
    Even if you finish the relationship and things don't work out, you can keep your friendship assuming both sides really want it. My ex and I have been best friends throughout our relationship, and we had the messiest break up ever (on-off-funny-eh-what-the-heck-erm-nevermind-screw-this type of situation) - it's been a year now, and we're still best friends.

Give it a go Good luck xx
    have either of you had another relationship since though? i think this can often be where it gets hard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    have either of you had another relationship since though? i think this can often be where it gets hard...
    Yeh, it is unfortunately. Going through it right now - I'm convinced though that our friendship can come out intact though. At the moment, I'm seeing/dating this guy (waiting for him to ask me out you see), who unfortunately happens to be my ex's new housemate :rolleyes: So yeh, things are doubly awkward for the two guys. *sigh*

Nonetheless, if we managed to get through last year, we can get through this (last year was hell, involved a 3rd girl - I'm sure you get the story.)

ReputationRep:
    My ex left me for his best friend and it kills me to say they worked out :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.