St George's Flats, University of Sheffield

Watch this thread
AutumnSphere1
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I'm looking at accommodation for my first year at the University of Sheffield. St George's Flats have caught my eye as I really love the sound of the stained glass etc and how close it is to campus. However, I have a few questions-- is it social? Is there a lot to do around the area or is it very separate/closed off from the rest of the campus and accommodation? Is it more of a post-graduate area or do you think an undergraduate would be ok here? What are the rooms/facilities like? Any info would be amazing as there really isn't that much information thank you!
sew_what
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It's in a good spot between Mappin & the Diamond with lots of other student accommodation nearby.
It's fairly quiet; originally built as post grad accommodation and not usually offered to freshers, so making friends might be more difficult. The residents have a WhatsApp group and arrange social events themselves but it's not generally party central!
The accomodation is quirky; there are two sets of flats with 14 or 15 rooms and three kitchens in each.
I've only been in Flat 1, but it has stairs to the first level then two floors above. The rooms are off a long corridor with one kitchen on the first level and two on the second level serving the top two floors. The very top floor rooms only have a little window (the top of the arch) by the floor and a skylight.
The rooms are all en suite, but vary in size depending on where they are; it's a converted building so some rooms are an odd shape.
The kitchens are shared between 4 or 5 people and have a dining table & chairs but there's no other social space eg sofa's etc
There's a laundry room in the basement and a bike store.
WiFi is great as there's a lecture theatre in the church so you get Eduroam.
The building is looking slightly tatty; the stair carpets have had the same stains for 4 years!
The windows are single glazed but there are good curtains so it's not cold.
There are no dedicated porters so it can be a pain to get deliveries; drivers can't always find the entrance and they don't give you time to get to the door before they disappear!
My son lived there for 3 years and has enjoyed it but he's had probably the largest room (flat 1 room 3) which had room for an extra desk and shelves.
Last edited by sew_what; 1 month ago
sew_what
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For posterity, here are some pics of St Georges Flat 1 Room 3. This is the largest room on the north side.Name:  IMG_20220709_135243.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  76.6 KBName:  IMG_20220709_135342.jpg
Size:  92.2 KBName:  IMG_20220709_135401.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  121.5 KBName:  IMG_20220709_135412.jpg
Size:  87.4 KBName:  IMG_20220709_135629.jpg
Size:  108.5 KBName:  IMG_20220709_135619.jpg
Size:  105.2 KBName:  IMG_20220709_140757.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  209.8 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads