are end of year tests important?

Watch this thread
euphoria..45
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
recently I did bad on my end of year maths test in year 9, although I've done relatively well in all my other tests this year will I get moved down a set in year 10?
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Being moved down a set depends on your school, but it usually based on your performance throughout the year to get moved up or down. Don't worry about it to much though.
Ira Acedia
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes and no in regards to importance.

They're important as you can consider them a form of Mock exams to let you know where you at and how effective your revision or the like was leading up to the exam -- so it's good to experiment with the first few years of Secondary School (granted most students will probably do no revision at all. That's at their loss) to figure out what's best for you early on.

However, your year 9 end of year exam has little importance in the grand scheme of things. Sets are able to fluctuate throughout the year and are based on ability. If you are moved down a set then if you just show them at the start of Year 10 your ability level, through your contributions in class, speed of getting through classwork and test performance, you could ask your set teacher a couple weeks in whether they think you should be moved up a set.

It's in the teacher's best interest to move you up if they feel you are capable -- as having one student who is steaming ahead within their set is not ideal, unless the sets are mixed ability, then it is unavoidable. A student far ahead can become bored and therefore disruptive as well, or may fill their spare time in the lesson helping others can causing others in the set a potential overreliance on their help. In my personal experience, people are more quick to ask peers for help than their teachers, as it is easier, closer and can be perceived as less judgemental (sometimes this goes for the opposite argument too).

There's also no point keeping you back when there are sets available that are more at the pace you are working at.

There is nothing to worry about regarding sets.
Last edited by Ira Acedia; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
70.41%
In the post (3)
3.06%
Text (13)
13.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads