English language coursework Investigation

Watch this thread
Ruqs001
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone!I'm doing my coursework investigation on whether gendered language is still found in classrooms. I have conducted an observation in both male taught and female taught lessons observing whether Robin Lakoff's female and male features of language are being exhibited by the teachers and have compiled the data in to a table. I am not sure how to structure my analysis and what to involve in it. Please could you help me? Thank you!
Sav055
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ruqs001)
Hi everyone!I'm doing my coursework investigation on whether gendered language is still found in classrooms. I have conducted an observation in both male taught and female taught lessons observing whether Robin Lakoff's female and male features of language are being exhibited by the teachers and have compiled the data in to a table. I am not sure how to structure my analysis and what to involve in it. Please could you help me? Thank you!
I did something a little similar to this but without the classroom area. I assessed whether gender influenced how much interruption happened in social situations. My teacher gave us a guide to follow if you are referring to the NEA A-level English.

Here is what my teacher gave us:

1 paragraph: Introduction (200 words)
What topic have you chosen to investigate? Why?
What existing research is there in this field, or in related areas?
What’s your hypothesis, if you have one?
Alternatively, what question will you be answering?

1 paragraph: Methodology (500 words)
What kind of data will you need to test your hypothesis or answer your question?
How much data will you use?
How will you collect it accurately, ethically and objectively?
What practical or ethical issues will you need to solve or acknowledge?
Which variables will you control? Which other variable will you need to be aware of?
Are there other studies you intend to compare your findings to, or that your methodology is modelled on?

1-5 paragraphs: Analysis (800 words)
The Analysis will be the longest section of your Investigation. However, in order that it’s clear, systematic and easy to follow, don’t try to write it as one long essay.
Break the Analysis into sub-headed sections, ideally following the plan you outlined in the Methodology.Each section should focus on one particular aspect of the data, and comment on the whole of the data set, so you can identify and discuss patterns and complexities which emerge.
Each sub-section of your Analysis should:

Summarise what you found, using appropriate metalinguistic terminology;
Link this to any relevant concepts or other studies;
Interpret your findings in relation to the contexts of the data;
Evaluate the significance of your findings in relation to your question or hypothesis

1 paragraph: Conclusion (400 words)
What does the data suggest?
How does this compare to other research? (does it support or contradict? Is it inconclusive?)
How reliable or significant are these findings?
Did your findings or the process of collecting or analysing the data inspire any further questions?

Hope that helps Feel free to ask me any questions! (I've just finished my A-level exams so it's still fresh)
Ruqs001
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much! That's really helpful.

(Original post by Sav055)I did something a little similar to this but without the classroom area. I assessed whether gender influenced how much interruption happened in social situations. My teacher gave us a guide to follow if you are referring to the NEA A-level English.

Here is what my teacher gave us:

1 paragraph: Introduction (200 words)
What topic have you chosen to investigate? Why?
What existing research is there in this field, or in related areas?
What’s your hypothesis, if you have one?
Alternatively, what question will you be answering?

1 paragraph: Methodology (500 words)
What kind of data will you need to test your hypothesis or answer your question?
How much data will you use?
How will you collect it accurately, ethically and objectively?
What practical or ethical issues will you need to solve or acknowledge?
Which variables will you control? Which other variable will you need to be aware of?
Are there other studies you intend to compare your findings to, or that your methodology is modelled on?

1-5 paragraphs: Analysis (800 words)
The Analysis will be the longest section of your Investigation. However, in order that it’s clear, systematic and easy to follow, don’t try to write it as one long essay.
Break the Analysis into sub-headed sections, ideally following the plan you outlined in the Methodology.Each section should focus on one particular aspect of the data, and comment on the whole of the data set, so you can identify and discuss patterns and complexities which emerge.
Each sub-section of your Analysis should:

Summarise what you found, using appropriate metalinguistic terminology;
Link this to any relevant concepts or other studies;
Interpret your findings in relation to the contexts of the data;
Evaluate the significance of your findings in relation to your question or hypothesis

1 paragraph: Conclusion (400 words)
What does the data suggest?
How does this compare to other research? (does it support or contradict? Is it inconclusive?)
How reliable or significant are these findings?
Did your findings or the process of collecting or analysing the data inspire any further questions?

Hope that helps Feel free to ask me any questions! (I've just finished my A-level exams so it's still fresh)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (31)
18.02%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (44)
25.58%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (87)
50.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
5.81%

Watched Threads