AM-GM Inequality

Watch this thread
Student 999
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Could someone hint to me another approach or how I would go about using my method to get an answerName:  IMG_FA4EBD8B394C-1.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  103.7 KB
I think the issue with my attempt is that part I considered the am-gm of xy+zt since the inequality sign of xy+zt>= 4 doesn't work in subbing into my original inequality as you something like xy+zt<= (number) to get an answer?Name:  Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 15.43.05.png
Views: 9
Size:  424.2 KB
Last edited by Student 999; 1 month ago
HardlyHuman
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Spoiler:
Show
use GM-AM on (x +y)(z + t)

Spoiler:
Show
use GM-AM on 2(xy + zt)

some hints, hopefully should be useful
Student 999
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by HardlyHuman)
Spoiler:
Show
use GM-AM on (x +y)(z + t)

Spoiler:
Show
use GM-AM on 2(xy + zt)

some hints, hopefully should be useful
Not quite sure what you mean isn't that what I've done above, could you write out the first line?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
One thing, in addition to the previous hints, is when a problem has this many variables, its a good to make sure you understand what happens on a simplified problem. So could you solve
max x+y
x^2+y^2 = 5
xy = 2
The relationship to the original problem should be clear? However, it gives an idea (you can plot them in desmos) of the role of the constraints and the set of feasible (x,y) values to maximize.

Edit if you can show the function is <= 9 and that you can find a solution where its equal to that value, then that must be the max.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads