University or Apprenticeship? for tech field

Watch this thread
Victoriavioletta
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, This year in september 2022 i was thinking of going to university to study computer science, as I want to go into creative tech such as website development, multimedia tech etc. But honestly as i am becoming aware now, is it REALLY necessary to get a whole CS degree to get into this specific field? i was thinking of getting an apprenticeship but i don't know if it's too late and also i'm quite worried for the long term that apprenticeships aren't as valued as degrees leading to finding a job being more tough, but with tech they are looking for someone with experience, and technology is dynamic, it's constantly changing and developing so i was wondering if i should get an apprenticeship specifically in what i want to get into rather than a CS degree that doesn't provide experience? opinions?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Victoriavioletta)
So, This year in september 2022 i was thinking of going to university to study computer science, as I want to go into creative tech such as website development, multimedia tech etc. But honestly as i am becoming aware now, is it REALLY necessary to get a whole CS degree to get into this specific field? i was thinking of getting an apprenticeship but i don't know if it's too late and also i'm quite worried for the long term that apprenticeships aren't as valued as degrees leading to finding a job being more tough, but with tech they are looking for someone with experience, and technology is dynamic, it's constantly changing and developing so i was wondering if i should get an apprenticeship specifically in what i want to get into rather than a CS degree that doesn't provide experience? opinions?
Better to do a degree apprenticeship for the creative side of things especially. You will find little time for web development/multimedia stuff if you are doing a CS degree, especially if it is a CS degree at a particularly selective university which focuses more on mathematics/theory.
NoahStiches
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm in a similar situation, I want to do a degree apprenticeship but they are extremely tough to get into so having a uni as a backup is always a good option and around this time it is harder to find a broad range of apprenticeships. But id say apply and try your best on the assessments if you are able to get one go for it bc in tech your portfolio matters a lot more than a specific degree for the most part.

I'm trying to get into the creative computing course at UAL it seems quite cool or an apprenticeship in tech but its quite tricky to find one specifically for creative computing its more data analyst or software engineering positions. Have you managed to find specific ones?

Good luck to us both!! Keep me posted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads