are shared bathrooms that bad?

Watch this thread
hihello__
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i originally was dead set on an en-suite because although i could share a kitchen i could not imagine myself sharing a bathroom but recently have found out how expensive the goldsmiths accomodations are. sadly if i got an en-suite i would have no social life and would have to work to live properly. is a shared bathroom that bad and what was your experience like? im just really worried as my original plans in my head are likely to be changed
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I dont know about uni but I went to a boarding shool were we shared bathrooms and it was OK for the most part. The occasional flood and blocked toilet but in general people would leave it clean because its easy to find out who did what.
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes. :yikes:
If you can afford to have accomodation with your own bathroom, go for it.

So glad that my years of flatmates, shared bathrooms & kitchens and rented houseshares are long behind me.
One undergrad houseshare included 2 dogs who disliked each other, 6 housemates and one bathroom. :bawling:

I prefer living alone.
I'll never live in rental accomodation with a shared bathroom or kitchen again.
frenchie_
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
yeah if you're going to have to sacrifice your social life, i would definitely choose a shared bathroom. How bad can it be really? :crossedf:
Ghostlady
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hihello__)
i originally was dead set on an en-suite because although i could share a kitchen i could not imagine myself sharing a bathroom but recently have found out how expensive the goldsmiths accomodations are. sadly if i got an en-suite i would have no social life and would have to work to live properly. is a shared bathroom that bad and what was your experience like? im just really worried as my original plans in my head are likely to be changed
My daughter was in a shared townhouse (different uni) she shared 2 bathrooms between 4 on her floor, and no queues for the bathroom at all. Because people have different courses, different social lives, its rare they cross over. Second year, she was in a house for 8 people sharing 2 bathrooms. Again not much of a problem. When 1 bathroom was being used, the other was always free.
I would probably say get a shower caddy which you can keep in your room and just bring out when ever you need to.

When you think about it, everyone hypes up the ensuite in first year, but come second year when your sharing that house owned by a landlord, its very few and far between your going to get a palce that every bedroom houses an ensuite. unless your very lucky.
Cloudster
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It depends on you, do you mind if some people are nasty or would you want to have clean roommates? I lived in a boarding house and my whole landing had an argument because some people were not sanitary since we all shared a bathroom amongst 10 people. It is truly your preference, if you don’t like it you should get an en-suite that is if you can afford it. But you can always join clubs in order to have a social life.
hihello__
Rep:
(Original post by Cloudster)
It depends on you, do you mind if some people are nasty or would you want to have clean roommates? I lived in a boarding house and my whole landing had an argument because some people were not sanitary since we all shared a bathroom amongst 10 people. It is truly your preference, if you don’t like it you should get an en-suite that is if you can afford it. But you can always join clubs in order to have a social life.
i sadly don’t have the luxury to think about if my flatmates are dirty/clean but that is my biggest worry since i most likely will be in a shared accomodation i’m really hoping that it won’t be too bad. en-suite accomodation in london is just so expensive and all my money would go to rent
Ghostlady
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
When she was in the townhouse they has zero cleaners, even for the ktichens. So they divised a rota. ie bathrooms, stairs/landing, kitchen etc. It can work, and there was a few posts in the flat group chat if it didnt get done, but that was the only niggle. It did get done in the end. I dont think anyone wants to get that reputation of 'that flatmate' who is lazy.
Cloudster
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i sadly don’t have the luxury to think about if my flatmates are dirty/clean but that is my biggest worry since i most likely will be in a shared accomodation i’m really hoping that it won’t be too bad. en-suite accomodation in london is just so expensive and all my money would go to rent
Then you should share with your flatmates, but put up clear boundaries when you have met them. Hopefully everyone will try to be tidy since everyone will be living together.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They are usually cleaned daily - I never had an issue.
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have no idea why so many students are obsessed with the idea of en suites. Universities exploit this and charge huge amounts for the privellege of having one.

I was in a house share for the entirety of my university course, there were a maximum of 8 people in each house (sometimes fewer depending if all the rooms got filled) and we had two toilets and two bathrooms (one with a shower and one with a shower and bath) between us.

I can't think of when I had an issue to be honest, we had a cleaner come every two weeks and pour bleach down them but to be honest everyone kept them pretty clean anyway. It was also advantageous during COVID as the few people that stayed in the accomodation pooled all our loo roll together when there was a shortage.

Personally I found the area I had most issues with was the kitchen, this was invariably always in some kind of mess and so much drama was caused over people not doing their share or leaving their crap everywhere.
hihello__
Rep:
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I have no idea why so many students are obsessed with the idea of en suites. Universities exploit this and charge huge amounts for the privellege of having one.

I was in a house share for the entirety of my university course, there were a maximum of 8 people in each house (sometimes fewer depending if all the rooms got filled) and we had two toilets and two bathrooms (one with a shower and one with a shower and bath) between us.

I can't think of when I had an issue to be honest, we had a cleaner come every two weeks and pour bleach down them but to be honest everyone kept them pretty clean anyway. It was also advantageous during COVID as the few people that stayed in the accomodation pooled all our loo roll together when there was a shortage.

Personally I found the area I had most issues with was the kitchen, this was invariably always in some kind of mess and so much drama was caused over people not doing their share or leaving their crap everywhere.
did you ever have any problems with people wanting to use the bathroom while you were? eg while you were using the toilet or the shower. i feel like that would be quite stressful and i don’t wanna annoy people since i’m quite socially anxious. i think me being an introvert is the main reason why i wanted at least an en suite, i have been on a gap year and because of bad mental health have stayed home for most of the time. so it all seems a bit daunting
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My shared bathroom experience was fine. 2 between 5 of us (one shower, though.) One of us was a lass, the other four lads. Everything kept clean, shower kept hair-free (me and the lass took care of it together, with us having long hair and the other three lads having short hair it was kinda our duty :rofl: .)
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
did you ever have any problems with people wanting to use the bathroom while you were? eg while you were using the toilet or the shower. i feel like that would be quite stressful and i don’t wanna annoy people since i’m quite socially anxious. i think me being an introvert is the main reason why i wanted at least an en suite, i have been on a gap year and because of bad mental health have stayed home for most of the time. so it all seems a bit daunting
No, the toilets were separate to the showers/bath.
Given we had two toilets if someone was in one then I would just use the other one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads