(Akhtar)!
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have selected occupational therapy as the course I want to study at university, but I'm still not sure if I want to pursue it. I feel as if I lack communication skills and am quite sensitive. However, compared to other professions, this was the most interesting. As taking a gap year is not an option, I'm unsure of*what to do. I have done further research on this profession but still have mixed feelings about if I want to go ahead with it. Any advice?
naanybready
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by M__AKHTAR)
Hi, I have selected occupational therapy as the course I want to study at university, but I'm still not sure if I want to pursue it. I feel as if I lack communication skills and am quite sensitive. However, compared to other professions, this was the most interesting. As taking a gap year is not an option, I'm unsure of*what to do. I have done further research on this profession but still have mixed feelings about if I want to go ahead with it. Any advice?
i would suggest to write a pros and cons list because guess what, in life you have to have communication skills at some point so the course will only prep you for it. maybe you can try it out with me, what are the pros that made you want to choose OT?
(Akhtar)!
Rep:
(Original post by naanybready)
i would suggest to write a pros and cons list because guess what, in life you have to have communication skills at some point so the course will only prep you for it. maybe you can try it out with me, what are the pros that made you want to choose OT?
One of the biggest pros it that it would all for the opportunity to make a difference to multiple peoples lives and would help them in all aspects as unlike other healthcare professions, occupational therapists work on all of the needs to the patient. In addition to this, this profession is quite flexible in working hours and days.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi @M_AKHTAR

I am currently studying the MSc Occupational Therapy course at University of Southampton - if you have any questions about the course or the profession I can try and answer them to help you make a decision! I find the profession so interesting, especially due to all the different people and settings we can work with.

As part of your development as a student, during your time on the course you'll get chance to learn about and develop communicaiton skills - either on lectures or on placement.

What university are you going to be studying at? You might find it helpful to have a look at the module outlines online so you know what things you might study as part of your training. It might also be helpful to spend a day shadowing an Occupational Therapist to help you get an idea of the day-to-day things they do as part of their role. Shadowing oppurtunities can be hard to come by but it might be worth trying to contact some in your area.

I hope that helps - please let me know if you have any questions and I can do my best to try and help

Katie
University of Southampton student rep
naanybready
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
One of the biggest pros it that it would all for the opportunity to make a difference to multiple peoples lives and would help them in all aspects as unlike other healthcare professions, occupational therapists work on all of the needs to the patient. In addition to this, this profession is quite flexible in working hours and days.
and what are the cons of OT for you?
(Akhtar)!
Rep:
and what are the cons of OT for you?
I feel like a major con for me is how emotionally and physically demanding this profession is. Although I am aware that the majority of jobs, if not all, may be emotionally demanding, I feel as though I won't perform well due of these circumstances. I seem to sound a little pessimistic haha
(Akhtar)!
Rep:
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi @M_AKHTAR

I am currently studying the MSc Occupational Therapy course at University of Southampton - if you have any questions about the course or the profession I can try and answer them to help you make a decision! I find the profession so interesting, especially due to all the different people and settings we can work with.

As part of your development as a student, during your time on the course you'll get chance to learn about and develop communicaiton skills - either on lectures or on placement.

What university are you going to be studying at? You might find it helpful to have a look at the module outlines online so you know what things you might study as part of your training. It might also be helpful to spend a day shadowing an Occupational Therapist to help you get an idea of the day-to-day things they do as part of their role. Shadowing oppurtunities can be hard to come by but it might be worth trying to contact some in your area.

I hope that helps - please let me know if you have any questions and I can do my best to try and help

Katie
Hi, thank you for your response! if given the opportunity, I will definitely observe occupational therapists.

If it's okay with you, could you kindly elaborate on what it's like to be placed in this field and what can be a problem while entering this profession. One of the main reasons I'm having second thoughts about entering this field is that I don't think I can manage being under pressure frequently, which is something I know I would experience in healthcare environments. Moreover, I'm concerned that I might give up midway through the course and get stuck on what my other options are. I also quickly become fazed, so all of these doubts make me feel rather uncertain. I truly don’t want to make to wrong choice and regret choosing this career. Any more advice?
naanybready
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by (Akhtar)!)
I feel like a major con for me is how emotionally and physically demanding this profession is. Although I am aware that the majority of jobs, if not all, may be emotionally demanding, I feel as though I won't perform well due of these circumstances. I seem to sound a little pessimistic haha
honestly i think it’s anxiety you’re facing with it. don’t worry about it just because i believe the course and program will bring out this social and caring side out to you in an extroverted manner for the job. you have the passion so why let go for the sake of shyness. easier said than done ik but it has to be done and for the sake of your future and enjoying OT i think it’s worth it. placements shape you for sure too and course leaders always help, they want you to become OTs remember. i think OT is great for you don’t let the doubts bring you down, imagine all the talented singers and scientists we wouldn’t have if too many people gave in to their worries
(Akhtar)!
Rep:
honestly i think it’s anxiety you’re facing with it. don’t worry about it just because i believe the course and program will bring out this social and caring side out to you in an extroverted manner for the job. you have the passion so why let go for the sake of shyness. easier said than done ik but it has to be done and for the sake of your future and enjoying OT i think it’s worth it. placements shape you for sure too and course leaders always help, they want you to become OTs remember. i think OT is great for you don’t let the doubts bring you down, imagine all the talented singers and scientists we wouldn’t have if too many people gave in to their worries

Thank you so much for your replies. I truly value your assistance!!! You have undoubtedly eased some of my concerns, and I will absolutely heed your advice. I'll make an effort to ignore my concerns and pursue this career. Once again, I really appreciate your help, thank you!!
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, thank you for your response! if given the opportunity, I will definitely observe occupational therapists.

If it's okay with you, could you kindly elaborate on what it's like to be placed in this field and what can be a problem while entering this profession. One of the main reasons I'm having second thoughts about entering this field is that I don't think I can manage being under pressure frequently, which is something I know I would experience in healthcare environments. Moreover, I'm concerned that I might give up midway through the course and get stuck on what my other options are. I also quickly become fazed, so all of these doubts make me feel rather uncertain. I truly don’t want to make to wrong choice and regret choosing this career. Any more advice?
Hi (Akhtar)!,

Your worries are all very valid definitley and it's good to be aware of how you might feel in the enviroment. However, with the training and support you get, you become ready and prepared to head on to placement. I have also found my supervisors on placement to be very supportive - they want to see you succeed and they know you're training. Placement is all about developing your skills to be able to perform in healthcare enviroments.

Would you consider taking a gap year? It might be helpful to get a job in a healthcare profession (for example a Healthcare Assistant role) to experience a simialr enviroment and see how you find it, or as we said before, spending some time shadowing an OT!

I think it's important to not think too much about 'what if' you leave the course. It's good to enter the course with a positive mindset and see if it works for you. If it doesn't that's okay!

It's always natrual to have some uncertaintys and be unsure about your career path. I did a different undergraduate and then decided to go back to university to study Occupational Therapy and there are people on my course in their late 20s - early 40s so there is no right age to go to unviersity or change career!!

I hope that helps - as I said, placement supervisors are really supportive and, in my experience at University of Southampton there are some great support systems including having a personal tutor and the student support services.

Please let me know if you have any more questions! It would be great to hear what universities you've applied to!

Katie
(Akhtar)!
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi (Akhtar)!,

Your worries are all very valid definitley and it's good to be aware of how you might feel in the enviroment. However, with the training and support you get, you become ready and prepared to head on to placement. I have also found my supervisors on placement to be very supportive - they want to see you succeed and they know you're training. Placement is all about developing your skills to be able to perform in healthcare enviroments.

Would you consider taking a gap year? It might be helpful to get a job in a healthcare profession (for example a Healthcare Assistant role) to experience a simialr enviroment and see how you find it, or as we said before, spending some time shadowing an OT!

I think it's important to not think too much about 'what if' you leave the course. It's good to enter the course with a positive mindset and see if it works for you. If it doesn't that's okay!

It's always natrual to have some uncertaintys and be unsure about your career path. I did a different undergraduate and then decided to go back to university to study Occupational Therapy and there are people on my course in their late 20s - early 40s so there is no right age to go to unviersity or change career!!

I hope that helps - as I said, placement supervisors are really supportive and, in my experience at University of Southampton there are some great support systems including having a personal tutor and the student support services.

Please let me know if you have any more questions! It would be great to hear what universities you've applied to!

Katie
I appreciate your reply. A gap year is unfortunately not an option. It's not that I don't want to take a gap year; it's simply that my parents are strongly opposed to it, and no amount of convincing will change their minds, but I'll do what I can. I've submitted applications to Bradford, Salford, Manchester, and Leeds.
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi (Akhtar)!,

That sounds like a tricky position you are in and it can be really difficult to do something without parental support. Ultimatley, your university/career choices are your decision and it's important to do what's best for you.

That sounds like a great spread of universities - will you be going in 2022 or 2023?

Let me know if you have any more questions

Katie
University of Salford
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi (Akhtar)!

Sorry that you're feeling so conflicted

I would definitely agree with trying to separate out what made you apply for the course/why you are interested in the career and what your worries are - I would recommend trying to consider if the worries are related to your skills/ability or the idea of being in the job in general. If it's your skills and abilities remember that's quite a normal feeling, and also that you will develop throughout your course. If it's the job itself, what is it about that? Do you realistically want to be in that role?

As others have said, I would definitely recommend trying to get some shadowing experience with an occupational therapist. Obviously that's easier said than done, but hopefully this will help you identify if this is a route you want to go down. Some lovely student ambassadors have commented on this thread - so do make use of them too, and you could also use UniBuddy to chat directly to Occupational Therapy students at the Universities you're considering.

Ultimately, if you decide it isn't right for you and a gap year isn't an option, you could also consider declining your offers and looking at your options via Clearing?

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions, just let me know

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep
(Akhtar)!
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi (Akhtar)!,

That sounds like a tricky position you are in and it can be really difficult to do something without parental support. Ultimatley, your university/career choices are your decision and it's important to do what's best for you.

That sounds like a great spread of universities - will you be going in 2022 or 2023?

Let me know if you have any more questions

Katie
Hii so sorry for my late reply! I will be starting in this year in September
(Akhtar)!
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Salford)
Hi (Akhtar)!

Sorry that you're feeling so conflicted

I would definitely agree with trying to separate out what made you apply for the course/why you are interested in the career and what your worries are - I would recommend trying to consider if the worries are related to your skills/ability or the idea of being in the job in general. If it's your skills and abilities remember that's quite a normal feeling, and also that you will develop throughout your course. If it's the job itself, what is it about that? Do you realistically want to be in that role?

As others have said, I would definitely recommend trying to get some shadowing experience with an occupational therapist. Obviously that's easier said than done, but hopefully this will help you identify if this is a route you want to go down. Some lovely student ambassadors have commented on this thread - so do make use of them too, and you could also use UniBuddy to chat directly to Occupational Therapy students at the Universities you're considering.

Ultimately, if you decide it isn't right for you and a gap year isn't an option, you could also consider declining your offers and looking at your options via Clearing?

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions, just let me know

Rowan
Hii, thank you for taking your time to respond!! I think that my worries have mainly been because of my skills/abilities but I can absolutely say that they have been allayed because of the wonderful comments I have received. I appreciate you letting me know, and I will absolutely use Unibuddy to contact more occupational therapists.
University of Salford
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hii, thank you for taking your time to respond!! I think that my worries have mainly been because of my skills/abilities but I can absolutely say that they have been allayed because of the wonderful comments I have received. I appreciate you letting me know, and I will absolutely use Unibuddy to contact more occupational therapists.
Hi (Akhtar)!,

Oh that's wonderful news, I'm really glad you're feeling less worried now! Wishing you all the best in your occupational therapy research

Rowan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.89%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
25.2%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (65)
52.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.07%

Watched Threads