french a level speaking

Watch this thread
willow (she/her)
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi everybody, i have my practise french as speaking coming up in the next few days and one thing i've consistently been told to improve on is my response to the second bullet point on the speaking cards, it usually says : "comment réagissez-vous?"
i tend to repeat 'je suis hereuse' and 'je suis surprise' wayyy too much so was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions of more developed, varied ways to respond?
thanks.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by willow (she/her))
hi everybody, i have my practise french as speaking coming up in the next few days and one thing i've consistently been told to improve on is my response to the second bullet point on the speaking cards, it usually says : "comment réagissez-vous?"
i tend to repeat 'je suis hereuse' and 'je suis surprise' wayyy too much so was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions of more developed, varied ways to respond?
thanks.
Hi there.

This is where you could demonstrate your knowledge of the topic and french culture with facts (worth up to 5 marks per speaking card). For example, for a photocard with information about the trend in the number of marriages you could say "Je ne suis pas surpris que le taux de mariage soit en baisse car 6/10 mariages en France en 1975 étaient religieux contre 4/10 aujourd’hui". (I'm not surprised that the rate of marriage is declining as 6/10 marriages in France in 1975 were religious against 4/10 today - NOTE: this is just an example from memory).

Meduse could provide further advice but hope what I've said makes sense.
Best wishes.
Meduse
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thanks.
Indeed, the second question tends to be 'quelle est votre réaction aux informations sur cette carte', or something similar.

The first step is to obviously comment on whether the information is surprising/unsurprising, whether it interests you, or if it evokes any kind of emotion. I see the structure you seem to be opening with is a fairly basic one. Instead of 'je suis surprise', you could say something like 'les informations m'étonnent' (the information surprises me), or 'ça/cela me choque' (this shocks me), for example. You can also learn some adjectives to describe certain content you may see on cards, to respond using an adjective rather than verbs.

In order to develop your answer, wider contextual knowledge and a good range of topic-specific vocabulary is required. You not only need to state your reaction, but explain in detail why you have had it. This is where reading around certain topics is helpful. This includes reading articles, listening to French radio, and perhaps jotting down any facts/information about the theme.

If, for example, you get a card on high suicide rates in prisons within France, you can state that you are not shocked because you have read previously that a large percentage of French prisons are reported to have poor sanitary conditions, perhaps developing on this a bit more by stating that this can have a profound effect on the mental health of prisoners and that as a result, you prefer more of a rehabilitative incarceration system that means criminals are not kept inside for as long, so as to avoid things like overcrowding which exacerbates mental health issues among prisoners.

While statistics are important, you need to be able to expand on them to get the best of your marks. Keep reading around your subjects and practicing complex grammatical structures (e.g. via a textbook, if you own one).

Bonne chance.
willow (she/her)
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thanks so much for ur advice, it's very helpful !! i will keep it in my mind for my exam
Meduse
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thanks so much for ur advice, it's very helpful !! i will keep it in my mind for my exam
No problem. Feel free to let us know how you get on!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (75)
67.57%
In the post (5)
4.5%
Text (15)
13.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (16)
14.41%

Watched Threads