oxford advice

Watch this thread
andr0meda
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’ve always shy’d away from oxbridge as an option because it was never my goal uni, and i never thought i could get in. however, i was chatting to a teacher and they said that i’d have a shot at getting in, which surprised me! what i want to know is, is there anything particularly special or beneficial about a university education from oxford as supposed to bath, or birmingham? its quite late for me to be suddenly changing my mind (although i’m not sure if i have yet) so i need to make sure i make a decision soon!
also, due to my disability i have never been able to get work experience, or anything related to the subject, so i’m afraid thats going to limit my application. as well as this, i don’t do comp sci a level (not available at my college), so is the interview going to be inaccessible to me?
any advice is appreciated!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by andr0meda)
i’ve always shy’d away from oxbridge as an option because it was never my goal uni, and i never thought i could get in. however, i was chatting to a teacher and they said that i’d have a shot at getting in, which surprised me! what i want to know is, is there anything particularly special or beneficial about a university education from oxford as supposed to bath, or birmingham? its quite late for me to be suddenly changing my mind (although i’m not sure if i have yet) so i need to make sure i make a decision soon!
also, due to my disability i have never been able to get work experience, or anything related to the subject, so i’m afraid thats going to limit my application. as well as this, i don’t do comp sci a level (not available at my college), so is the interview going to be inaccessible to me?
Check the course requirements - are you thinking of computer science? If so, I'd recomeend somewhere with a year in industry over Oxbridge.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by andr0meda)
Your teacher is saying you may be clever enough to go, but do YOU want to apply?

Is it comp sci you want to apply for? If so, do you experiment with devising programmes/python etc at home?

Oxford does look at how bright you are and your disability will not disadvantage you one jot. They are only interest in your brain.

Here is a book I wrote called Oxford Demystified. It also has chapters for just about every subject, written by offer holders. Look through it and see if the advice helps and if you don't mind doing the extra work an Oxford application will entail.

Yes, there are opportunities at Oxford (as my younger son found out) that may not be available in Birmingham etc. However there may be opportunities in Birmingham that are not available at Oxford, of which I am unaware.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100480
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What differentiates Oxford from other universities (bar Cambridge) is the teaching style. You will be taught in very small groups. I have had modules where I am taught one-to-one by an expert on the topic. This is very beneficial academically.

Work experience is not important. The university does not require you to have computer science, so the interview will not be inaccessible. They do expect you to have maths, which might give you a clue about the course and the interview.

You should probably work out first whether you want to go to Oxford. You shouldn't go just because of its reputation or because your teacher suggests it. You also shouldn't rule it out just because you hadn't considered it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads