how important are gcses for top universities?

Watch this thread
wannagotooxford
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I only got two gcses, English lang, and maths, with a 5 in eng and a 7 in maths. I've gone through my first year of btecs with little studying or revision and managed to get a distinction for everything. next year i am restarting my a levels with maths, further maths, and physics, and feel confident that if i study hard i could definitely achieve an A*A*A* since i am far stronger in these subjects than in my current studies. with these grades, I could definitely get accepted to my dream university to study maths, but I am worried my GCSE results may hold me back from accomplishing this dream.

any help would be appreciated, thanks alot
Last edited by wannagotooxford; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wannagotooxford)
I only got two gcses, English lang, and maths, with a 5 in eng and a 7 in maths.
Why do you only have two GCSEs?
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think it can be OK if you still meet the GCSE requirements for the course. But since you only have 2 you'd have to apply to ones that only have reqs for math and English
wannagotooxford
Rep:
(Original post by Spelunker)
I think it can be OK if you still meet the GCSE requirements for the course. But since you only have 2 you'd have to apply to ones that only have reqs for math and English
thanks for your reply. i was thinking of sitting all three sciences in november, however i have no experience studying gcse science as the only science i have ever formally studied was my diploma in applied science which i am currently studying. do you think it would be worth it to study gcse science throughout summer in order to be able to get good grades? the reason i ask is that i would have to pay to sit the gcses and so if i could not achieve a 6 or above i am not sure if it would be worth my time.

thanks again
wannagotooxford
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Why do you only have two GCSEs?
sorry, dont really wanna share that information. hope you can understand
McGinger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If there is an explanation for you only having two - but you still meet any specific GCSE requirement for the degree, typically Eng and Maths - your referee can explain why you dont have the full set. Unis will usually then take this into account. If you dont meet any specific GCSE grades, you will be expected to retake them alongside your A levels.
wannagotooxford
Rep:
If there is an explanation for you only having two - but you still meet any specific GCSE requirement for the degree, typically Eng and Maths - your referee can explain why you dont have the full set. Unis will usually then take this into account. If you dont meet any specific GCSE grades, you will be expected to retake them alongside your A levels.
thank you! this has been very informative.
wannagotooxford
Rep:
sorry to bother you again but i was having one other issue. i have visited the websites and looked at the entry requirements for many top universities in the country, but i am unable to find the gcse requirements on most of the websites. im not sure if im just being blind or not looking hard enough, or if there is a specific place you are required to look for them.

any answers would be greatly appreciated!
McGinger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wannagotooxford)
the entry requirements for many top universities in the country, but i am unable to find the gcse requirements
They are usually listed seperatly, typically at the bottom of the webpage or under 'full entry requiremnts' (ie not just the basic A level grades.) For many Humanities and Social Science degrees there may not be any specific GCSE entry requirments but always check.
Examples :
Bristol - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...bsc-chemistry/
Liverpool - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/...ring-beng-hons
Greenwich - https://www.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate-...-bsc-hons/2023
wannagotooxford
Rep:
They are usually listed seperatly, typically at the bottom of the webpage or under 'full entry requiremnts' (ie not just the basic A level grades.) For many Humanities and Social Science degrees there may not be any specific GCSE entry requirments but always check.
Examples :
Bristol - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...bsc-chemistry/
Liverpool - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/...ring-beng-hons
Greenwich - https://www.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate-...-bsc-hons/2023
thank you very much! your help is much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.86%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (33)
23.4%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (73)
51.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads