First job after university

Watch this thread
HELLOBrine123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I am undertaking an Electronics Engineering Degree and will hopefully graduate next year. I sadly couldn't secure a placement so will be graduating without any experience. I do have a few questions.

(1) Where should I look for graduate employment? I've heard LinkedIn is good. (I'm looking for Electronics/Hardware roles)

(2) When should I start applying? The autumn term or closer to the summer?

(3) While we are at it, any tips for my final year?

If you want to tell me your experiences on getting a graduate job that would be nice. Thanks.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HELLOBrine123)
So I am undertaking an Electronics Engineering Degree and will hopefully graduate next year. I sadly couldn't secure a placement so will be graduating without any experience. I do have a few questions.

(1) Where should I look for graduate employment? I've heard LinkedIn is good. (I'm looking for Electronics/Hardware roles)

If you want to tell me your experiences on getting a graduate job that would be nice. Thanks.
(1) Try Gradcracker. It's perfect for STEM related jobs.

(2) You need to start applying early-September onwards i.e. when grad schemes/jobs start to open

(3) Start practicing psychometric tests now (JobTestPrep) if you want, or at least start writing your CV and boosting it by doing some form of work this summer. Whatever you do, aim to get a job secured by Christmas so you have your final semester/terms free to focus on your dissertation.
HELLOBrine123
Rep:
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
(1) Try Gradcracker. It's perfect for STEM related jobs.

(2) You need to start applying early-September onwards i.e. when grad schemes/jobs start to open

(3) Start practicing psychometric tests now (JobTestPrep) if you want, or at least start writing your CV and boosting it by doing some form of work this summer. Whatever you do, aim to get a job secured by Christmas so you have your final semester/terms free to focus on your dissertation.
May I ask what career sector you are in?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
May I ask what career sector you are in?
Technology
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

OK, so you don't yet have any formal industrial experience, but do you actually know about electronics/hardware?

Start applying as soon as the jobs open up. Company websites, Gradcracker, Target Jobs, LinkedIn, and even just Googling are good sites to locate jobs.

For your final year you need to focus on both your studies and securing a job. There aren't really any special insights into this other than good time management being important.
nathan2472
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the other comments. Always apply as early as you can, and for many relevant places as you can. The places listed by the other comments are great places to look.

Make sure to get your CV up to date for each of the jobs/schemes you apply for, and be prepared for any assessment tests and interviews you might do for these. Practicing these always helps imo.

For the places you apply to, make sure to do your research. Find out about recent happenings using the company website, social media and the news. Read the job description too. If you're applying online, make sure to use language that they've used in the job description in your application.

Good luck with graduating and I hope this helps!
HELLOBrine123
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
OK, so you don't yet have any formal industrial experience, but do you actually know about electronics/hardware?

Start applying as soon as the jobs open up. Company websites, Gradcracker, Target Jobs, LinkedIn, and even just Googling are good sites to locate jobs.

For your final year you need to focus on both your studies and securing a job. There aren't really any special insights into this other than good time management being important.
Thanks. If I may ask, what degree did you take and how hard was the final year compared to the others?

(Original post by nathan2472)
I agree with the other comments. Always apply as early as you can, and for many relevant places as you can. The places listed by the other comments are great places to look.

Make sure to get your CV up to date for each of the jobs/schemes you apply for, and be prepared for any assessment tests and interviews you might do for these. Practicing these always helps imo.

For the places you apply to, make sure to do your research. Find out about recent happenings using the company website, social media and the news. Read the job description too. If you're applying online, make sure to use language that they've used in the job description in your application.

Good luck with graduating and I hope this helps!
Thank you.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks. If I may ask, what degree did you take and how hard was the final year compared to the others?

Thank you.
I did mechanical engineering. Final year was harder overall. I think that is true of almost all degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (54)
68.35%
In the post (3)
3.8%
Text (11)
13.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (11)
13.92%

Watched Threads