Regret accepting job

Watch this thread
Qwerty58
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just graduated from uni and working in a job for about a month now. I have quickly realised the job is not the sort of job someone with a uni degree would do and it is clear that I am overqualified. I feel a bit stupid for accepting the job as after rereading the job description/advertisment I should have known. The role was advertised as 'graduate xxxxxxx' but ive realised this was likely directed towards a different/lower qualification. Worst thing is I accepted the job in February and they waited for me to graduate so im gonna feel bad and awkward if i quit. Im keeping an eye out for something else but honestly I feel a bit embarrased and an idiot for accepting this job in the first place. Tbh I just accepted the job because I was scared I wasn't gonna get soemthing else.

Anyone else had similar experience?
Last edited by Qwerty58; 1 month ago
greentiger
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It happens unfortunately, but this will help you gain experience for future fields of work. I would sit this out for the year before moving on, otherwise it may appear that you’re flicking from job to job for e.g. money or other reasons an employer may come up with.

But at the end of the day, it’s your happiness, if you aren’t happy in the job you should flee and take the risk elsewhere. There are many more jobs that would be happy to have you and your employer would certainly be able to find a replacement as more graduates come out of uni.
Bk4753
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qwerty58)
I've just graduated from uni and working in a job for about a month now. I have quickly realised the job is not the sort of job someone with a uni degree would do and it is clear that I am overqualified. I feel a bit stupid for accepting the job as after rereading the job description/advertisment I should have known. The role was advertised as 'graduate xxxxxxx' but ive realised this was likely directed towards a different/lower qualification. Worst thing is I accepted the job in February and they waited for me to graduate so im gonna feel bad and awkward if i quit. Im keeping an eye out for something else but honestly I feel a bit embarrased and an idiot for accepting this job in the first place. Tbh I just accepted the job because I was scared I wasn't gonna get soemthing else.

Quit if it's not for you. If you underperformed, they would drop you quicker than they found you. Don't feel guility for not giving a corporation your loyalty, especially a low tier one.
Last edited by Bk4753; 1 month ago
weird_panda
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Definitely don't feel guilty! It all counts as experience, good or bad. Just keep your eyes open for something more suitable and leave whenever the next opportunity arrives.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qwerty58)

People leave jobs all the time. A lot of people realise that a particular job/company is not for them (for whatever reason). Carry on looking for other jobs. Obviously dont leave this job until you have found another. By the time you have found something you will have been there longer anyway. You dont have to give a reason why but if they ask just say something like the other job is more suited to your skills/qualifications, or its nearer to home or more money or something.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It seems your main concern is that you feel that you are overqualified for the job.

Many jobs are actually mundane and do not require as much technical skill. Having said that, it may also be the case that they are taking their time to train you and build up the complexity of tasks which you are given.

Personally I would give it a few more months to see how the role develops before making a decision, but it is hard to say without knowing more about the role.
Last edited by 0le; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads