The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of sheffield chemistry

Hi guys
For anyone who does Chemistry at sheffield, I am looking to study for a BSc there next year but I have a couple of question

1) Genuinely, what is life like at sheffield? Is a chem degree a big step from A-level and is it still interesting?
2) Are the lessons good and are the lecturers good at explaining? Do they actually reply to emails and do they help you out outside of lecturers when you need help?
3) How come the student satisfaction rate is so low (62%)?
4) Would you recommend it?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I just wanna be sure about my uni choices
Thanks !
Original post by Manille Lykin
Hi guys
For anyone who does Chemistry at sheffield, I am looking to study for a BSc there next year but I have a couple of question

1) Genuinely, what is life like at sheffield? Is a chem degree a big step from A-level and is it still interesting?
2) Are the lessons good and are the lecturers good at explaining? Do they actually reply to emails and do they help you out outside of lecturers when you need help?
3) How come the student satisfaction rate is so low (62%)?
4) Would you recommend it?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I just wanna be sure about my uni choices
Thanks !

Hi there!

I've just finished my final year at Sheffield, I didn't study Chemistry but thought I'd pop in and share a little on my experience about life in Sheffield. As a student I don't think I could have asked for a better student experience, I really loved Sheffield for Uni and I am sad to leave this week. The city is very student orientated with a good nightlife, shops and social activities all near by to the Uni. Personally I also really enjoyed how much green space Sheffield has, there is an abundance of parks in Sheffield which is great to spend time with friends and with the peak district so close (£1 bus each way). Accommodation in Sheffield for students is really reasonable and most the time you can get private rented accommodation (student houses) for around £80-100 per week and in general life in Sheffield is really affordable as a student. The students union also has a lot to offer, its been rated highly consistently for quite a few years now and this does show with the events hosted in the students union, societies on offer and support offered to students:smile:. I can't give you any info on Chemistry specifically so I would recommend having a look on the uni's chat to students area, I will link this here for you and you can find students that study Chemistry on there and message them privately to discuss the course!

Hope this helps you out a bit and feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:!

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi, I've just finished my master in Chemistry at Uni of Sheffield. I will try help best as I can to answer your questions.

1. Sheffield is great, I loved my years there and I am really going to miss it now I've left. The step up from A levels to first year is okay, its challenging as you would expect but its more just trying to level the educational standard as people come from A levels, scottish highers and international qualifications, the step that was in my opinion the hardest was first to second year, but the course has changed since I started, and having been friendly with younger years I know this step has become more gradual so its not quite a leap as it was for my cohort.
2. The Chemistry department is pretty good at replying to emails and having an open door policy, you get assigned a tutor who is your first port of call for general queries, but the specific lectures are never too busy to have a 15 minute chat if you need a little extra support, the biggest downside of the department is ( and this has got worse because of covid and a lack of certainty) organisation, you will always find everything out you need to know but it might be a few days before, but there is a new head of department starting September sp this may change ? ( my first year 2018-2019 was really organised just covid threw everything off)
3. Student satisfaction will be low because of covid and due to the changes in the course, but I will say I don't know anyone on my course that would do any other degree it was like a weird little family and everyone knew each other as our year only had 90 people in it, which dropped to about 50 for masters.
4. After four year I would recommend it, it was hard no doubt about it but I have no regrets joining Sheffield to do chemistry, I would recommend doing a masters with industry, ( if you want you can swap about when you join the department) this is because you get work experience and do a masters and industry in four years which is a year quicker than most universities. Overall Sheffield is an amazing uni to attend, chemistry department is friendly and it really does feel like a you could ask any lecturer anything none of them will say no.

Anymore question just ask, hope this helps makes your decision easier :smile:
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi there!

I've just finished my final year at Sheffield, I didn't study Chemistry but thought I'd pop in and share a little on my experience about life in Sheffield. As a student I don't think I could have asked for a better student experience, I really loved Sheffield for Uni and I am sad to leave this week. The city is very student orientated with a good nightlife, shops and social activities all near by to the Uni. Personally I also really enjoyed how much green space Sheffield has, there is an abundance of parks in Sheffield which is great to spend time with friends and with the peak district so close (£1 bus each way). Accommodation in Sheffield for students is really reasonable and most the time you can get private rented accommodation (student houses) for around £80-100 per week and in general life in Sheffield is really affordable as a student. The students union also has a lot to offer, its been rated highly consistently for quite a few years now and this does show with the events hosted in the students union, societies on offer and support offered to students:smile:. I can't give you any info on Chemistry specifically so I would recommend having a look on the uni's chat to students area, I will link this here for you and you can find students that study Chemistry on there and message them privately to discuss the course!

Hope this helps you out a bit and feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:!

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Hi!
Thank you so much for this - it was incredibly informative and will definitely take this into account when I'm deciding,
I wish you all the best for the future after university :smile:
Original post by Silver Elephant
Hi, I've just finished my master in Chemistry at Uni of Sheffield. I will try help best as I can to answer your questions.

1. Sheffield is great, I loved my years there and I am really going to miss it now I've left. The step up from A levels to first year is okay, its challenging as you would expect but its more just trying to level the educational standard as people come from A levels, scottish highers and international qualifications, the step that was in my opinion the hardest was first to second year, but the course has changed since I started, and having been friendly with younger years I know this step has become more gradual so its not quite a leap as it was for my cohort.
2. The Chemistry department is pretty good at replying to emails and having an open door policy, you get assigned a tutor who is your first port of call for general queries, but the specific lectures are never too busy to have a 15 minute chat if you need a little extra support, the biggest downside of the department is ( and this has got worse because of covid and a lack of certainty) organisation, you will always find everything out you need to know but it might be a few days before, but there is a new head of department starting September sp this may change ? ( my first year 2018-2019 was really organised just covid threw everything off)
3. Student satisfaction will be low because of covid and due to the changes in the course, but I will say I don't know anyone on my course that would do any other degree it was like a weird little family and everyone knew each other as our year only had 90 people in it, which dropped to about 50 for masters.
4. After four year I would recommend it, it was hard no doubt about it but I have no regrets joining Sheffield to do chemistry, I would recommend doing a masters with industry, ( if you want you can swap about when you join the department) this is because you get work experience and do a masters and industry in four years which is a year quicker than most universities. Overall Sheffield is an amazing uni to attend, chemistry department is friendly and it really does feel like a you could ask any lecturer anything none of them will say no.

Anymore question just ask, hope this helps makes your decision easier :smile:

Hey!

Thank you so so much for this.
This has really helped me.
That's so good to hear that they help you, the stuff I hear about lecturers not helping students is crazy. But I'm so happy Sheffield isn't liking thar,

Also would you happen to know any tips for a personal statement on Chemistry?

Can I ask, what do you plan to do after uni with your MSci in Chem? I wish you all the best :smile:
No worries ! Tips for personal statement would be to express why you like the subject like what first made it exciting to you, what you are like as a person, I don’t really have much else to say I can’t really remember what I wrote but I did talk about aspects outside of a level that I liked and the enjoyment of the experimental side and lab work, which is a very key aspect of the degree at Sheffield starting in first year. Of course, I’ve got a job as a scientist for the civil service, I will say most of my friends are doing PhDs and with Sheffield which I hope says something positive about the department and the subject ! Wish you the best of luck with any choice you make and if you do choose Sheffield I am sure you’ll have a blast !
That’s fantastic! Can I ask, what does the job pay yearly (if you are alright with me asking; of course! )
Original post by Manille Lykin
Hi!
Thank you so much for this - it was incredibly informative and will definitely take this into account when I'm deciding,
I wish you all the best for the future after university :smile:

Glad I could help, thank you and good luck!:smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending