Should I do art GCSE?

Watch this thread
infires-
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently deciding on whether I should do art GCSE or not, because I really quite like art, but I am not good at it. When I say not good, I actually mean it. Like looking at the art pieces other people in my year have done, I am nothing close to that. I have no talent in art, but I like to do it. I know doing what I like is important, but that might result on me getting a really low grade for my GCSE, and I know some university would prefer 9s and As. So I don’t know if I should do it or not.

Oh, yeah and also I really would be willing to spend 2 hours on an art than to spend perhaps 1 hour learning things on my other choice (geography).
Last edited by infires-; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The vast majority of unis don't really care about your GCSE grades in general, and almost certainly wouldn't care about GCSE art specifically.

Also you aren't purely being marked on technical ability (which you develop along the GCSE anyway) but on your creative responses to prompts and, possibly more importantly, how you document that process. Keeping detailed and extensive documentation of how you get from point A to point B in your sketchbook is a big part of it!

I'd say just do it anyway
sufys
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by infires-)
I am currently deciding on whether I should do art GCSE or not, because I really quite like art, but I am not good at it. When I say not good, I actually mean it. Like looking at the art pieces other people in my year have done, I am nothing close to that. I have no talent in art, but I like to do it. I know doing what I like is important, but that might result on me getting a really low grade for my GCSE, and I know some university would prefer 9s and As. So I don’t know if I should do it or not.
GCSEs don't matter so much, as above.
But if you know you will not do well, I guess it'd make more sense to do art as a hobby?
Last edited by sufys; 1 month ago
freeuzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I got a 4 in art and it was the best subject I took, even though I was bad. It was my lowest gcse grade by far, but didnt affect me at all when applying to uni. Id say go for it, no uni will really be looking at your gcse art grade
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by infires-)
It's very time- consuming; do you really want to take it?
sufys
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
^ this.
ella1507
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don’t take art but most of my friends do, and to be honest you don’t need to be extremely talented. If you are willing to put in the time (a lot of time!), and know how to co-ordinates colours and create aesthetic work you will do well- based on my friends’ experience. My biggest tip is not to do a basic art form for your final piece like painting or drawing based on what I’ve seen is not to use unique materials and lots of different techniques for a higher grade
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads