Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm planning on taking a year out to study MSc after my third year of medicine. I was wondering how will it affect my funding?

I understand that I can apply for max postgraduate loan of 11k and I won't get any maintenance loan. Is there any other funding I can get?

For my 5th and 6th year of medical school, will I be eligible for NHS Grant/Bursary? Can I still apply for maintenance loan if I get NHS Grant or taking out a postgraduate loan would mean that I am not eligible for undergraduate loans anymore? How much NHS grant/bursary one can get? I am eligible for full maintenance loan if that helps

Thank you
nocheloche
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I understand that I can apply for max postgraduate loan of 11k and I won't get any maintenance loan. Is there any other funding I can get?
AFAIK there isn't any other funding available to cover maintenance fees. The postgraduate loan will have to cover both your tuition fee and your maintenance fees.

(Original post by Anonymous)
For my 5th and 6th year of medical school, will I be eligible for NHS Grant/Bursary? Can I still apply for maintenance loan if I get NHS Grant or taking out a postgraduate loan would mean that I am not eligible for undergraduate loans anymore? How much NHS grant/bursary one can get? I am eligible for full maintenance loan if that helps
The tuition fees for your 4th and 5th year of medicine (your 5th and 6th year of university) will be paid for by NHS student bursaries. You will also receive a non-means tested grant of £1000 from NHS student bursaries and can apply for their means-tested bursary which is based on household income (see as a guide https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/defa...%2003.2022.pdf).

(I am presuming you are attending an English uni- if not, take this next bit with a pinch of salt since I don't know if this is different outside of England). In addition to this, you will be able to apply for a non-means tested SLC reduced rates loan for both your 4th and 5th year of med. The amount you get will depend on whether you live at home, live outside London, or within London, and it decreases in final year. It's best to check with SLC to clarify the exact amounts when the time comes for you, though as a guide the 2021/22 rate for those living outside London was roughly £2000 in 4th year and £1500 in 5th year.

Hope that helps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads