University blocked me from my intergrated masters despite passing the year, any help

Watch this thread
Sitt
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I was on a degree course for an intergrated masters at my university, and did fairly baddly this year (my third year) however I passed the year overall, but my university is now telling me they've awarded me with a degree and I can no longer be on the intergrated masters program because I didn't meet their 'required average', something they've never informed us about previous.

Honestly I could have done better, but my results were in extremes with some subjects in a 1st or 2:1 result and others that are barely a condoned fail, despite the higher ones due to my 2 condoned fails they've awarded me with a 3rd degree and I'm destroyed.

I had plans to do my research project in on one of the subjects I recieved a first in then potentially go onto PhD because I excel in research based work over exams. But now I don't even have the degree level (or funds) to do a seperate masters, or even a degree that will get me into the kind of work areas I've worked all my life for.

I dont know what to do, the university never informed us of this threshold to continue into the intergrated masters year and just led me to believe each year needed an overall pass. After covid I was struggling a lot and I could have done better, but I wad mostly concered about surviving and doing well in my preferred subjects just to pass onto the next year, in my mind I didn't have an average to aim for.

I've tried asking if I can re-do coursework over summer or re-sit the exams of my fails but they told me that because i've now been awarded a degree I can no longer take re-sits. This is also something I was never informed of until now, I assumed if their was something I failed I could re-sit it, just to carry me to my research project.*

I know people always say you'll find something, but I've never seen myself doing or loving anything as much as this, and it's all gone now because of a few subjects that don't even relate to what I want to do.

Does anyone have any advice or know if I can dispute this decision?
(Sorry for spelling or grammar mistakes I typed this quickly on my phone)
Last edited by Sitt; 1 month ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
This seems pretty standard for an integrated masters course. Usually passes are fine for getting through the bachelors course but if you don't do well in your third year they are going to be worried about how well you would do in your fourth, and would rather graduate you with a reasonable pass in the bachelors than let you through to the masters and have you very realistically fail. (obviously, I'm only speaking from their perspective, so sorry if I seem a bit curt) The integrated masters at my university all seem to have similar clauses to this (sometimes on both 2nd & 3rd year attainment) and I don't think that's unusual.

Do you have a course handbook? I would imagine or hope it'd say in there about progression. Putting that aside, (since it's basically not worth looking back at anyway) a standalone masters seems your only option now, if the university is not offering you resits since you have passed the BSc and are due to graduate. I think you will have to look hard but there is a possibility that you could find somewhere willing to take you in light of your poor mental health at the time (if this was documented) and your good grades in a few modules. Failing this, if you're doing something quite practically-orientated, some industry experience may help you here. (but again you may have to look quite hard for somewhere sympathetic)
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sitt)
So I was on a degree course for an intergrated masters at my university, and did fairly baddly this year (my third year) however I passed the year overall, but my university is now telling me they've awarded me with a degree and I can no longer be on the intergrated masters program because I didn't meet their 'required average', something they've never informed us about previous.

Honestly I could have done better, but my results were in extremes with some subjects in a 1st or 2:1 result and others that are barely a condoned fail, despite the higher ones due to my 2 condoned fails they've awarded me with a 3rd degree and I'm destroyed.

I had plans to do my research project in on one of the subjects I recieved a first in then potentially go onto PhD because I excel in research based work over exams. But now I don't even have the degree level (or funds) to do a seperate masters, or even a degree that will get me into the kind of work areas I've worked all my life for.

I dont know what to do, the university never informed us of this threshold to continue into the intergrated masters year and just led me to believe each year needed an overall pass. After covid I was struggling a lot and I could have done better, but I wad mostly concered about surviving and doing well in my preferred subjects just to pass onto the next year, in my mind I didn't have an average to aim for.

I've tried asking if I can re-do coursework over summer or re-sit the exams of my fails but they told me that because i've now been awarded a degree I can no longer take re-sits. This is also something I was never informed of until now, I assumed if their was something I failed I could re-sit it, just to carry me to my research project.*

I know people always say you'll find something, but I've never seen myself doing or loving anything as much as this, and it's all gone now because of a few subjects that don't even relate to what I want to do.

Sorry but I am not too surprised about this. Averaging a 3rd by the end of the 3rd year would lead the university to think you will do no better than that, and possibly worse on a master. A big part of the masters is likely a project with a "real" research group rather than a teaching lab. While a supervisor won't expect everyone to do amazing stuff, it can be tricky, even dangerous to let an under qualified person lose in that environment.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sitt)

Every integrated Masters I've seen has a condition that you need to be achieving a 2i at the end of the third year. Which university did not make this clear?
Orwell84
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Usually when you fail a subject or assessment you can either resit during the reassessment period or ammend the mistakes within so many days and get capped at the lowest mark (40).
Was this not an option given to you?

Is there a way you can resist your year? it may be worth contacting student support or the relevant department in your university to see what your options are.

Also, I don't know how integrated masters work or your university policies but most masters requires 2:1 or 1:1.

Hope everything works out for you.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sitt)

I'm sorry you have found yourself in this position, but you've got to move on. Frankly, there's no way on earth the Uni didn't make available the information about grades needed to continue to the masters element etc, you just didn't engage properly with the basic administrative requirements of the course you were paying/getting in debt for. Once a degree is awarded, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting grades changed, resitting, appealing etc, that's a universal. The only thing that can change once a degree has been awarded, it can be revoked if there has been cheating/massive plagiarism etc - its very rare.

So you need to leverage your good grades into a strong CV and make good job applications. Engage with your uni careers office and learn all they've got to tell you about employers, applications, interviews etc. Work out what your strengths are, what experience you've got, what evidence of relevant workplace skills etc.
Julie Mays
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I'm sorry you have found yourself in this position, but you've got to move on. Frankly, there's no way on earth the Uni didn't make available the information about grades needed to continue to the masters element etc, you just didn't engage properly with the basic administrative requirements of the course you were paying/getting in debt for. Once a degree is awarded, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting grades changed, resitting, appealing etc, that's a universal. The only thing that can change once a degree has been awarded, it can be revoked if there has been cheating/massive plagiarism etc - its very rare.

So you need to leverage your good grades into a strong CV and make good job applications. Engage with your uni careers office and learn all they've got to tell you about employers, applications, interviews etc. Work out what your strengths are, what experience you've got, what evidence of relevant workplace skills etc.
Very dogmatic threeportdrift and judgemental. I hope you never make a mistake. The University has a duty of care and someone should have made it very clear to Sitt that they were not likely to progress to the masters. By that I mean taken the trouble to have a conversation face to face so that there was no misunderstanding. There is an appeals process so I also think "no way on earth" is too bleak. There are some mitigating circumstances and I don't believe an appeal will cost anything.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like a pretty reasonable progression hurdle to me. Unless your results contradict the progression/assessment handbook then I don't see what other option you have other than taking the BSc and moving on. You can discuss this with the university (and maybe student's union) further, but I doubt it will get very far. Even if they do get you through to the 4th-year, what steps have you taken to ensure you do not perform <50% next year? You will need to convince the university even if you do reach appeals.

Go into industry, work your way up, see if your employer will fund a PG qualification.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Julie Mays)
Very dogmatic threeportdrift and judgemental. I hope you never make a mistake. The University has a duty of care and someone should have made it very clear to Sitt that they were not likely to progress to the masters. By that I mean taken the trouble to have a conversation face to face so that there was no misunderstanding. There is an appeals process so I also think "no way on earth" is too bleak. There are some mitigating circumstances and I don't believe an appeal will cost anything.
I've made loads of mistakes in life. But I'm an adult and I take responsibility for them, and I understand that now I'm no longer a child, life doesn't afford me endless free chances to do things again without repercussions. I've also learnt that, as an adult, I am responsible for understanding the commitments I am making, whether that's car insurance, a mortgage, a degree programme or whatever. I've worked in universities for much of the past 10 years, and been a mature student multiple times. There is no way that none of this info was available to the OP. That's not making a judgment, its fact. That you have no appeal after a degree has been awarded is also a fact.
Mr Anderson1997
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sitt)

To be on an integrated Masters Program which are commonly known as MSci , MEng, MAcc, MF, depending on the subject, you need to have by the the end of the second and third year a good/satisfactory performance. Usually an upper second class 2.1 or high 2.2
If you have a low 2.2 or a 3rd class then they are not going to let you do the Masters part of your degree. By the way, what degree are you dong?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
68.32%
In the post (4)
3.96%
Text (14)
13.86%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
13.86%

Watched Threads