The Student Room Group

My driving instructor isn't free enough to teach me - do I get my partner to instead?

Hello everyone,

I'm a mature student and learner driver. I passed my theory in April and I've been having semi-regular lessons. Unfortunately my driving instructor isnt great to book in with. I have 2-3 lessons with him to then have to wait 3 weeks on average before my next set. Its proving to be a waste of money and time.

Now, my test is in 6 weeks and he has told me he can't book me in for any more lessons for another 4 weeks! I'm just gutted at how sporadically they're spaced out. I feel this is the time more than ever I need to hammer the lessons.

I am lucky enough to of purchased my own car to learn in. I'd say I'm 75% test ready. The only things I haven't covered is an emergency stop and much parking. So, would you...

A- stick with the instructor and just do a couple lessons before my test.
B- Ring around and try to book in with another company OR do a last min crash course with another company.
C- Get the partner to practise the last bits and go out 3-4 times a week practising.
Id do B and C, ring around and see if theres anyone else, but regardless of if you find someone or not, Id still say its good to practice with your partner.
I had a similar situation in that my instructor was super unreliable, kept cancelling on me last minute, or cutting lessons short. I only ended up having 4 lessons with him total, the rest of the time I went with my dad. Driving instructors near me have a massive wait list, but i did manage to find a driving instructor to do a mock test with me only, which I thought really helped. When you ring/ email other schools, if they say no, id ask if they can at least do a one off mock test (if you want to do one). Worse case scenario just practice with your partner. I did it with my dad and passed 1st time, even though my dad knows nothing about driving exams (in fact he told me some incorrect information- so if your partner tries to tell you how to do something id definitely take it with a pinch of salt and look up the correct way of doing it later, sorry partner lol). Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest