I get extra time . Will I get it at uni?

Watch this thread
Laotsu
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I get extra time because a teacher recommended me at gcse and I was slow at comprehension. Now I finish a level so I am wondering if i will get it and how do I proof it? What kind of proof can I provide if I do get it plus I don't have dyslexia or smt .
happydayys
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Yep when your apply on UCAS you should have ticked the dyslexia/disabilities box.

Your uni student support serivice should reach out (probs after results day) to discuss next steps
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Laotsu)
I get extra time because a teacher recommended me at gcse and I was slow at comprehension. Now I finish a level so I am wondering if i will get it and how do I proof it? What kind of proof can I provide if I do get it plus I don't have dyslexita or smt .
If you have a medical reason then yes you will get extra time. Otherwise probably not.
EdgeHillStudents
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I get extra time because a teacher recommended me at gcse and I was slow at comprehension. Now I finish a level so I am wondering if i will get it and how do I proof it? What kind of proof can I provide if I do get it plus I don't have dyslexia or smt .
Hi Laotsu

Please do not worry, universities have dedicated teams to ensure your learning needs and wellbeing is being looked after. You will probably receive information about the support available to you when you start university, but you can also have a look online in the meantime to see what your university offer. There will also be contact information for the support team, and you could contact them directly to ask what support would be available to you.

I hope this helps, best of luck

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Laotsu

I was in the same position as you when I went to uni. From what I can remember I had to gain a letter from my A level tutor and doctors, which provided reasons why I needed extra time. Then I think I handed this to the university team that deals with additional support while at university.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You might have to have additional assessments but extra time certainly exists at university and so do other adjustments like rest breaks. You should get in touch with disability services early on (eg. soon after you've been accepted) to see what they can do for you and what adjustments are available.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What paperwork have you got? An individual learning plan? Assessment for 'slow comprehension'? Are you applying for DSA?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
HI Laotsu you should apply for a learning contract at University. This site tells you what a learning contract is and how you can be provided with one, with assessment and help by the disability team https://www.shu.ac.uk/disabled-stude...ning-contracts

I hope this helps you.

- Rosie
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I hope you're well

Different universities may have different policies or criteria, so it may be best to speak to the student welfare and guidance department at your chosen University to see if you qualify / what you need to qualify. I recommend doing this sooner rather than later, just so you're fully informed sooner!

I hope this is helpful!
Ana - UoL Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (24)
18.32%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
23.66%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (71)
54.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.82%

Watched Threads