Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've done this with my other university choices so i think it will be good to do one for Essex as well basically state what course you are applying for and any views you have on the univeirty.

I haven't been on the open day, so anyone who has been can you tell us what the place was like?

This thread is initially for year 13's but anyone in Essex now can please give your views on the Uni and the degree course you are doing.

As with my other threads people are posting when they have sent their UCAS and whether they have Acknowlgement and offers and interviews and stuff like that, so we'd like to hear that as well.

ReputationRep:
    lets start with me, i am applying for Accounting with Mathematics 2009. i haven't been on the open day so please give some opinions on what its like..hows the town centre and is it big? etc...

and i haven't sent off my UCAS yet, but i'm waiting for one reference and then i need an overall reference and then i'm done, so hopefully at the end of this week

ReputationRep:
    Wow let me respond as a current student at Essex. It is a definitely a nice university with a beautiful campus. People are friendly and lectures are well taught. It is pretty close to London with just an hour's train to Liverpool Street. Colchester is a small town and whether it is boring or not, varies from people. It can't be of equal to a big city but to me I find it wonderful enough as I usually stay in the campus to enjoy the fun with friends here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superkn)
    Wow let me respond as a current student at Essex. It is a definitely a nice university with a beautiful campus. People are friendly and lectures are well taught. It is pretty close to London with just an hour's train to Liverpool Street. Colchester is a small town and whether it is boring or not, varies from people. It can't be of equal to a big city but to me I find it wonderful enough as I usually stay in the campus to enjoy the fun with friends here.
    what sort if shops do they have in this "small town"?

and how much does insurance and travel cost?

ReputationRep:
    i'll be asking alot about costs coss i'm calculating them and is it worth getting an ensute room with the exrra costs?

ReputationRep:
    how much does insuracne cost? and do the rent includde the utility bills?

ReputationRep:
    insurance is free if you live in uni accom, your cover for stuff in your room,
    rent abou from 60 upwards a weeks, bill are in that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamsComeTrue.)
    i'll be asking alot about costs coss i'm calculating them and is it worth getting an ensute room with the exrra costs?
    I am staying in an ensuite room in South Courts as I prefer more privacy and enjoy quiet life. It's quite expensive~~ 95 pounds per week, including utility and worth the money. Six students share one flat in where I stay. For cost cutting, you can choose the Towers which is around 6X pounds. A variety of accommodation is available and there must be one that suits you.
    I just go to town occasionally doing some shopping and having a delicious meal with my friends. For daily necessities, I prefer walking to Tesco (about 15 min.)and pick up everything I want at a reasonable price.

ReputationRep:
    the towers are where its at, for you first year, your freshers you meet so many people in the towers, party all night long and have fun, i only wish that i could go back to living in the towers cos it was they great

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info! Essex ensuite are quite cheap compared to the other universities

my application is being sent today! everyone be happy for me

ReputationRep:
    ensuite are very quite :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    ensuite are very quite :p:
    You should come to my flat in South Courts, my flatmate are so loud, there's 14 people in my flat, but it's split into 3 sections with 4/5 people in them and there are 3 kitchens.

I could never have lived in the Towers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetlovinchick2k1)
    You should come to my flat in South Courts, my flatmate are so loud, there's 14 people in my flat, but it's split into 3 sections with 4/5 people in them and there are 3 kitchens.

I could never have lived in the Towers!
    lol oh you in that part of south courts must of it is just 6 people to a flat

ReputationRep:
    I stay in South Courts with six people sharing one flat and one kitchen big enough to accommodate all of us dining at the same time but we seldom cook at the same time. Feel good that all my flatmates are gentle people and I can enjoy a quiet life here! I probably will choose South Courts again next year!

ReputationRep:
    Modern Languages, and i already have a conditional.

ReputationRep:
    Graduate of 2007 in English Language (linguistics).

I'm from Colchester but that in no way colours my opinion of Essex Uni - I've hated the town for many years before I went to uni!!!

The Uni is small and a balanced mix of woods, greenery (squirrels roam across the site!) and concrete buildings. Despite the initial apperance of the aforementioned concrete, one quickly becomes accustomed and even loves it for the oddity! There is the new Ivor Crowe lecture thearte as well - a space-ace 'tin' design, again challenging at first but ultimately good looking internally and externally. The lecture theartes are a mix from small and dark to big and light, but I can't say I have any major complaints on that score.

The teaching, at least in linguistics and across the humanities is reallly good. I know I certainly enjoyed my entire learning experience.

The nightlife on campus is brilliant, no hyperbole intended. I've never had a bad night and the end-of-year Summer Ball is absolutely brilliant (provided you don't spoil it by drinking too much the previous night like I once did!!!).

It's true that there a higher than usual number of overseas students, but that only enhanced my experience - I wanted to meet new, different and exciting people, and there are plenty there. You are sure to make friends The socities are many and numerous and, again, is great for meeting people as well as getting into the spirit of things.

The town itself is, again, small and despite my own ill feeling (it's a different proposition when you've known nothing else from childhood!) the town's actually rather nice. There is a good range of shopping, an even better range of places to eat - the local area beyond the town is fantastic in this respect, and the nightlife is very good with a surprisingly wide range of bar and clubs.

As has been said, London isn't far away and neither is Ipswich - I'd argue Ipswich has a better range of clothes shops, and with the train fare relatively cheap, it's a great day out midterm.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: spoil by drinking the night before, but that is the end you have to be a mess, at the end i started as soon as my last exam ended at 10am :p: great fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    :rofl: spoil by drinking the night before, but that is the end you have to be a mess, at the end i started as soon as my last exam ended at 10am :p: great fun
    You didn't see the state I was in the next morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSafetyDance)
    You didn't see the state I was in the next morning
    :rofl: oh dear messy, still good though

ReputationRep:
    Omg! I Only Sent My Application Off 5 Days Ago And I Got My First 3 Offers Today!!! I Was So Happy I Was Screaming! I Expected To Wait Months For Offers!!! Essex Included

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.