Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    cool well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamsComeTrue.)
    Omg! I Only Sent My Application Off 5 Days Ago And I Got My First 3 Offers Today!!! I Was So Happy I Was Screaming! I Expected To Wait Months For Offers!!! Essex Included
    Well, you are lucky to get 3 offers on one day. Some universities do take a longer time when giving offers and the courses you apply matter also. It took me almost 2 weeks to get all offers but managed to get 4 out of 5 only!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on your offers

I live very close to the University of Essex and Colchester (10 minute drive down the A12). I have applied there but I didn't say I'd stay on the campus (pointless if i live so close) which is why it's my 5th choice.

I am applying for Mathematics BSc. I went with my sixth form (when I was in year 12) to an open day there for local sixth forms which was pretty informative. Some of the accomodation appears run down from the outside (just dirty, the towers) but on the inside I could see why it would be fun to live there as it would make a very fun community on each floor etc. The campus was pretty small imo compared to other ones I have seen (UEA, Reading) but nonetheless it was pretty cool how it was designed with 2 large squares and shops/clubs around the edge of the squares. The University has a pretty huge library and the computer labs were big too.

As for Colchester and shopping, it's pretty decent. The town is small yes, but theres lots of stuff to do there, I often go to music gigs at colchester arts centre on friday nights which are usually good. There are some decent shops but yes the town is small as previously stated, the best shops are River Island, Topman and HMV I find. However, as also previously stated on this thread, the trainline is pretty good in Essex. The ONE railway service which has two stations in Colchester (Town and North), goes to London Liverpool street in one direction and Norwich in the other. It's about an hourish to either one so if you wanted some extra shopping you can use the trains.

Word of warning about being in town, be careful of the army barracks. It has a pretty bad reputation of paratroopers beating the **** out of people when they are drunk so steer clear of the barracks at night lol.

ReputationRep:
    the army not that bad, I been out for a drink with them, to be fair we know someone who's a MP who's based there, but they anit that bad, even in town they seem al right the ones I have came across

ReputationRep:
    I really hate to seem really pessismistic and please don't give me stick for it but I feel like I should maybe add a bit of balance based on what i thought.

I recently had an interview & open day for the uni and the department (Government) was EXCELLENT but I really wasn't inspired by the university at all. It's very secluded and didnt get a sense of community. There were masses of sports societies which is great but I'm a musician and there was virtually no musical societies at all, especially for a university with an otherwise strong reputation for the arts.

The university was certainly culturally diverse but I really didn't get the impression of enrichment, vibrancy or integration. The students in general weren't very forthcoming and I didnt really get that intellectual vibe that other uni's give. I found the tower blocks repulsive.

The interview was really disappointing. I've applied for PPE and the interviewer only talked about one small branch of macroeconomics. Far be it from me to judge an interviewer's techniques but I felt that the interview gave me no opportunity to show myself as a candidate and I'm not really sure what he learnt about me as a candidate.

I know I've basically ****ged off Essex but if you like the idea of a campus uni with fantastic sports facilities then great, but I urge you to visit and take a good look around before making a decision; ask 'can I see myself here?' I just feel that people looking at this forum need to know that some people at least didn't get excited by Essex.

ReputationRep:
    there are manys musical societies with weekly jam night in one of the bar, the sports are out in and about as they want people to join and Wednesday are match days, there is very much a sense of community, interviews at essex not really interviews and it a place for the person to get to know the person see that you are well rounded , same with any uni, you must look around before you make your mind up not just essex, other don't get excited at other uni, you need to look around

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get an offer quite recently for economics here .

ReputationRep:
    Just received a conditional for Accounting and Finance provided I get a DDM in the BTEC National Diploma in Business. I was worried I would be rejected because my GCSE's are rubbish due to me going through a rebelious stage back then. However despite my embarassing grade D in GCSE English I managed to get an offer Though Sheffield is my first choice so and will have to resit both Maths and English in order to meet the conditions of that offer. Though its still really good to have somewhere guaranteed to fall back on.

However, just wanted to get people's perception on this university as I have heard both positive and negative things so far. Would you rate it above Kent seeing as it looks like it will be between essex and kent for my insurance uni.

ReputationRep:
    i would take essex, but then i am one sided,

hard to tell with out hearing what you have heard thats bad about the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbell)
    The interview was really disappointing. I've applied for PPE and the interviewer only talked about one small branch of macroeconomics. Far be it from me to judge an interviewer's techniques but I felt that the interview gave me no opportunity to show myself as a candidate and I'm not really sure what he learnt about me as a candidate.
    I guess thats something a lot of people could say about interviews in general... the interviewer didn't allow them to show them as a candidate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    I guess thats something a lot of people could say about interviews in general... the interviewer didn't allow them to show them as a candidate...
    yeah but apparently he was impressed according a letter I got and resulted in a low offer! It seems to be a trend; a lot of people who say their interviewer gave them a hard time end up with quite positive outcomes. I think they're maybe trying to push the extent of their knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Went to the interview on 19th November for Sport and Excersise Science and got a conditional offer!!

I'm thinking I'd like to go there too =D

I'm torn between the party hub 'Towers' and having a nice EnSuite room though ... what do you think??

Faye

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you value more - a socal atmosphere with parties etc like you say or a nice big room with ensuite. Can't say more than that really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nora-FNE)
    Went to the interview on 19th November for Sport and Excersise Science and got a conditional offer!!

I'm thinking I'd like to go there too =D

I'm torn between the party hub 'Towers' and having a nice EnSuite room though ... what do you think??

Faye
    It really depends on individual preference. I have been to an en suite at South Courts where my friend is staying. Just fell in love with it beacause I never thought that uni accommodation can be so 'luxurious'. I had to share a room with 2 students at my university and a bath room with many.
    My friend told me "Towers" are for "party animals" (LOL) and he can go there if he is invited and just a change for an exciting night once in a while.
    Both types of accommodation attract different groups of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbell)
    I really hate to seem really pessismistic and please don't give me stick for it but I feel like I should maybe add a bit of balance based on what i thought.

I recently had an interview & open day for the uni and the department (Government) was EXCELLENT but I really wasn't inspired by the university at all. It's very secluded and didnt get a sense of community. There were masses of sports societies which is great but I'm a musician and there was virtually no musical societies at all, especially for a university with an otherwise strong reputation for the arts.

The university was certainly culturally diverse but I really didn't get the impression of enrichment, vibrancy or integration. The students in general weren't very forthcoming and I didnt really get that intellectual vibe that other uni's give. I found the tower blocks repulsive.

I know I've basically ****ged off Essex but if you like the idea of a campus uni with fantastic sports facilities then great, but I urge you to visit and take a good look around before making a decision; ask 'can I see myself here?' I just feel that people looking at this forum need to know that some people at least didn't get excited by Essex.
    Yeah i totally agree... I was dissapointed with the interview for the government department. She really didnt ask me anything that was on my personal statement, just about my general views. So I dont know how she could judge me on that.

Despite that my interviewer seemed really impressed with my interview and decided to lower the grades to BBC and give me an offer ( even though im predicted ABB) lol.

But as mbell said, i think you should visit the uni first before choosing it.

Mbell : Did you not think that the guy that took us on the tour looked like Napstar from the Italian Job loool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShekShek)
    Mbell : Did you not think that the guy that took us on the tour looked like Napstar from the Italian Job loool
    Haha. I had the other guy that looked but i know who you mean yeah.

My had an awesome curly moustache and looked like Leon Trotsky lol...and apparently there are loads of communists in the Government department as Essex (or so my mate heard off another guy who knew a guy etc. lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbell)
    My had an awesome curly moustache and looked like Leon Trotsky lol...and apparently there are loads of communists in the Government department as Essex (or so my mate heard off another guy who knew a guy etc. lol)
    hahaha

omgg are you serious...communists!!!!...thank s for telling me

wait so are you going to make essex your insurance??? or not lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShekShek)
    hahaha

omgg are you serious...communists!!!!...thank s for telling me

wait so are you going to make essex your insurance??? or not lol
    nah i would prefer to take a year out and reapply if don't get an offer from either oxford or york. in hindsight, i should've applied for pol&econ as well as PPE rather than just PPE - sorta backed myself into a corner with a limited number of unis doing PPE. what about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.