Bath University City Accommodation and Sports

Watch this thread
Sachi1006
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have to apply for my first year undergraduate accommodation really soon and I am debating between applying for an on-campus or city place to live. I play football regularly and I worry that I will struggle to live in the city and have sports commitments on campus at inconvenient times. Has anybody experienced this?
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sachi1006)
I have to apply for my first year undergraduate accommodation really soon and I am debating between applying for an on-campus or city place to live. I play football regularly and I worry that I will struggle to live in the city and have sports commitments on campus at inconvenient times. Has anybody experienced this?
Hello,

If you think you will be spending a lot of time doing sports on campus then I would recommend applying for mainly on-campus accommodation options. However, the bus routes up to the university campus run very frequently and are 24/7 so you would be able to get up to campus whenever you need to.

I lived on campus in my first year and I loved it, it makes everything really convenient and you are always really near your new friends and the buildings where your lectures will be. I know people that lived in the city too though and they enjoyed being close to the bars/restaurants and beautiful places in the city centre. After your first year you will have the opportunity to live in the city or just outside of the city, so if you choose on campus then you will still have the chance in one of your other years to experience living in central Bath!

I would recommend taking a look at the accommodation options here, and deciding where you think you will be most comfortable. All of the options are really good and whichever location you choose has its pros and cons.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask anymore questions you may have.

Best of luck,
Kayley
Final Year Business Student
Sachi1006
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much for this. I think I will apply for the Eastwood buildings as they are conveniently located and have everything that I will need.

I am still curious about a couple of other things. How do most people go to the supermarket(s) and how often? How much do you normally spend on food a week (is it similar to the weekly allowances on the food credit?). When we find out where we are living in September, do we also know our flat-mates? How soon does sport sessions and fixtures begin? I apologise if I am bombarding you with questions—I finally have someone who can answer my many questions.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sachi1006)
Thank you so much for this. I think I will apply for the Eastwood buildings as they are conveniently located and have everything that I will need.

I am still curious about a couple of other things. How do most people go to the supermarket(s) and how often? How much do you normally spend on food a week (is it similar to the weekly allowances on the food credit?). When we find out where we are living in September, do we also know our flat-mates? How soon does sport sessions and fixtures begin? I apologise if I am bombarding you with questions—I finally have someone who can answer my many questions.
Hello,

No problem - thank you for all the questions.

On the supermarket - this varies per student. We do have an on-campus Co-Op supermarket that is open 7 days a week, so it is possible to go shopping however often is needed. But there are lots of alternatives - some students may travel down to the city centre Sainsburys (easily accessed from the 24/7 campus to city centre bus route) once or twice a week. The bus journey is only 10ish minutes, so it's not far. Alternatively, some students/flatmates organise weekly online shopping deliveries to their campus accommodation.

For where you are living, students typically hear around mid-September time (approx 2 weeks before move in). Usually Facebook groups etc are set up for flat groups/accommodation buildings, so there is a good chance to get to know people online before moving in.

Sport sessions and fixture commencement vary per sport. You can sign up to sports clubs at the Sports Day in Freshers Week. Most sports will hold trials etc in freshers week or week 1, as fixtures get going quite quickly for some sports. You can find webpages for all our sports clubs here: https://www.thesubath.com/sport/join/. Keep an eye on the sport pages of interest to you, as they'll probably publish trial information nearer the time.

Hope this helps, and please do ask if you have any further questions.

James
Final Year Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads