The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

can i lose weight in this amount of time

pls help me, i have been trying and i need to lose weight by the 17th of july for my holiday. please give some tips. is it doable ?
i cant seem to lose much:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gracieee16
pls help me, i have been trying and i need to lose weight by the 17th of july for my holiday. please give some tips. is it doable ?

at a healthy weight loss of 1-2 lb per week you might lose 5 lbs
Original post by ReadingMum
at a healthy weight loss of 1-2 lb per week you might lose 5 lbs

oh that’s good! can i just do a lot of walking (fast pace) for hours and run as well and then just cut all sugary foods and fats etc.
healthy eating - if its not what you usually do - will be much more effective than exercise. A running coach once told me "you can't out run a bad diet".
Original post by ReadingMum
healthy eating - if its not what you usually do - will be much more effective than exercise. A running coach once told me "you can't out run a bad diet".

healthy eating is sooo hard for me! i was eating salads , fruits and whatever for 8 days and then my cravings came back and i just couldn’t resist. i feel so annoyed with myself because i was doing so well and i did exercise too. so that was a waste of time and now ive gained weight again within a few days. so im back having to start again 😔
healthy eating is sooo hard for me! i was eating salads , fruits and whatever for 8 days and then my cravings came back and i just couldn’t resist. i feel so annoyed with myself because i was doing so well and i did exercise too. so that was a waste of time and now ive gained weight again within a few days. so im back having to start again 😔

you don't have to healthy per say. You can still eat what you like to eat but eat it in a restricted amount.
Make sure you are burning more calories than you are eating. Drink plenty of water and eat high fibre foods.
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
you don't have to healthy per say. You can still eat what you like to eat but eat it in a restricted amount.
Make sure you are burning more calories than you are eating. Drink plenty of water and eat high fibre foods.

thhhhhhhhaaaaaannnkkkksss love

Do you actually "need" to lose weight? What is your current weight, height, age?

Losing too much weight can be really unhealthy for your physical and mental health in particular there can be a number of serious and potentially dangerous consequences (including death) when you don't have enough body mass and/or aren't eating enough to sustain a healthy body. Please be careful.

oh that’s good! can i just do a lot of walking (fast pace) for hours and run as well and then just cut all sugary foods and fats etc.

Suddenly doing loads of exercise, especially intense stuff, is just asking for problems/injuries and trust me you do not want to be injured whilst on holiday! Plus all that exercise, with not enough food will just make you tired, hungry and grumpy.
Also (see below) your body needs sugars/carbohydrates and fats to function, so cutting them out of your diet completely will not do you any good, and the restricting mentality will just make you want them more.

Healthy eating eating only salad, fruit etc.
A healthy diet should be balanced and consist of a good range of foods you need carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. The exact quantities depend on your size (height, weight, muscle composition), age, gender, activity levels etc. . There are some online calculators but take them with a massive pinch of salt I find they tend to be rather inaccurate (i.e. a huge underestimate of what I think I need (I don't track anything)).

Rather than being stuck in an obsessive restrict/over-exercise/binge -type cycle, you should be able to enjoy all food, and life in general :smile:
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Do you actually "need" to lose weight? What is your current weight, height, age?

Losing too much weight can be really unhealthy for your physical and mental health in particular there can be a number of serious and potentially dangerous consequences (including death) when you don't have enough body mass and/or aren't eating enough to sustain a healthy body. Please be careful.

Suddenly doing loads of exercise, especially intense stuff, is just asking for problems/injuries and trust me you do not want to be injured whilst on holiday! Plus all that exercise, with not enough food will just make you tired, hungry and grumpy.
Also (see below) your body needs sugars/carbohydrates and fats to function, so cutting them out of your diet completely will not do you any good, and the restricting mentality will just make you want them more.

Healthy eating eating only salad, fruit etc.
A healthy diet should be balanced and consist of a good range of foods you need carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. The exact quantities depend on your size (height, weight, muscle composition), age, gender, activity levels etc. . There are some online calculators but take them with a massive pinch of salt I find they tend to be rather inaccurate (i.e. a huge underestimate of what I think I need (I don't track anything)).

Rather than being stuck in an obsessive restrict/over-exercise/binge -type cycle, you should be able to enjoy all food, and life in general :smile:

i'm like 10 stone 10 or something and im 5'6... so i am fat:colonhash: and my stomach bloats like 80% of the time making me feel fat. i cant do up my buttons in some cases so im thinking if i reduce certain foods my belly will stop bloating. i am 18 next month as well btw if that helps. my face also looks chubby and gains weight easily and makes me feel less pretty yk. i'm female too. do you think i sound fat?
i'm like 10 stone 10 or something and im 5'6... so i am fat:colonhash: and my stomach bloats like 80% of the time making me feel fat. i cant do up my buttons in some cases so im thinking if i reduce certain foods my belly will stop bloating. i am 18 next month as well btw if that helps. my face also looks chubby and gains weight easily and makes me feel less pretty yk. i'm female too. do you think i sound fat?

No you don’t sound fat. Looking and feeling fat is different to being fat. You’re most likely not fat.
No you don’t sound fat. Looking and feeling fat is different to being fat. You’re most likely not fat.

i am 😂😂😂😂😂😂
i am 😂😂😂😂😂😂

You’re not. If I’m lying may god strike me down
You’re not. If I’m lying may god strike me down

you haven’t seen lol. when my stomach bloats it looks huge and my brother said the other day “grace!! you look pregnant and they touched it thinking I was chubby 😭

You are not fat (I know BMI isn't everything but) your BMI is in the "healthy" range
If you can't do up your buttons maybe get some different clothes? Clothes are supposed to fit you, rather than you fitting them
Bloating all sorts of possible reasons for this (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bloating/), might be worth speaking to a GP?
Original post by bl0bf1sh
You are not fat (I know BMI isn't everything but) your BMI is in the "healthy" range
If you can't do up your buttons maybe get some different clothes? Clothes are supposed to fit you, rather than you fitting them
Bloating all sorts of possible reasons for this (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bloating/), might be worth speaking to a GP?

but I wear size 12s. when im not bloated im absolutely fine and I do have big hips and that so it’s hard to get into a size 10 when im not bloated but i can’t wear a 14 cos it’s just bad for me… 😭
well, the bloating is getting checked out for like endo or whatever so I think it’s to do with that. not entirely sure. it’s just a hassle because i look slimmer without being bloated but majority of the time im bloated but there’s only a few days where it does get severe and uncomfortable.
Is your priority to reduce your body fat % or go down to a specific weight?

It is possible to lose enough visible weight within a fortnight through a combination of daily exercise, reduced portion sizes and changing dietary habits.
Have a look at the short youtube exercise workouts by Bailey Brown, Emi Wong, Gabriella Whited and Lucy Wyndham-Read.
Quite a few of Emi's workouts are less than 20mins and can be done sitting on a sofa or in bed.

Bloating can be triggered by allergies or food intolerances.
Along with medication side effects and a range pre-existing health issues.
Do you have any of these?
If not- to reduce the bloating you need to reduce your water weight and the amount of salt & refined sugar that you are eating & drinking.
Increase your consumption of still unflavoured water, probiotics and probiotic containing greek style yoghurts.
I'd recommend dairy free probiotics like actimel almond & mango and biomel.
Greek style yoghurts like koko or oykos.
Oykos do a great dairy free greek version made with coconut milk and a good dairy version too.
But all their stracciatella and caramel or toffee flavoured products are best avoided.
Original post by londonmyst
Is your priority to reduce your body fat % or go down to a specific weight?

It is possible to lose enough visible weight within a fortnight through a combination of daily exercise, reduced portion sizes and changing dietary habits.
Have a look at the short youtube exercise workouts by Bailey Brown, Emi Wong, Gabriella Whited and Lucy Wyndham-Read.
Quite a few of Emi's workouts are less than 20mins and can be done sitting on a sofa or in bed.

Bloating can be triggered by allergies or food intolerances.
Along with medication side effects and a range pre-existing health issues.
Do you have any of these?
If not- to reduce the bloating you need to reduce your water weight and the amount of salt & refined sugar that you are eating & drinking.
Increase your consumption of still unflavoured water, probiotics and probiotic containing greek style yoghurts.
I'd recommend dairy free probiotics like actimel almond & mango and biomel.
Greek style yoghurts like koko or oykos.
Oykos do a great dairy free greek version made with coconut milk and a good dairy version too.
But all their stracciatella and caramel or toffee flavoured products are best avoided.

my priority is body fat (belly fat and legs)
thank you! i will try all the tips and advice:smile:
i did get tested for allergies i think and i wasn’t allergic to anything. however , im getting seen for endo and i have learnt that caffeine , gluten and dairy products and high sugary things can trigger it a lot. like pasta can increase the severity of my pain and i have tried to take it out of my diet but im still experiencing bloating but less often but still.
thanks so much!!! you’ve been a huge help! :smile: I appreciate it a lot xx
my priority is body fat (belly fat and legs)
thank you! i will try all the tips and advice:smile:
i did get tested for allergies i think and i wasn’t allergic to anything. however , im getting seen for endo and i have learnt that caffeine , gluten and dairy products and high sugary things can trigger it a lot. like pasta can increase the severity of my pain and i have tried to take it out of my diet but im still experiencing bloating but less often but still.
thanks so much!!! you’ve been a huge help! :smile: I appreciate it a lot xx

GI GRACE!

YOU ARE ACTUALLY NOT FAT, AND THAT IS NOT ACCORDING TO ME OR YOU, BUT ITS ACTUALLY ACORDING TO THE NHS ITSELF. CALCULATE YOUR BMI HERE: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

I PUT IN THE INFO FOR YOU (YOU CAN TRY BY YOURSELF IF YOU WANT) AND EVERYTHING SEEMS NORMAL. YOU GOT A BMI OF 22.4. A BMI OF 25 IS OVERWEIGHT, AND YOU ARE FAR FAR AWAY FROM THAT, SO IF I WERE YOU I WOULDNT WORRY.
AFRAID OF LOOKING UNATTRACTVE? WELL PSYCHOLOGY SAYS THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY VIEW US 20% MORE ATTRACTIVE THEN WE THINK WE ARE, SO DONT WORRY. ITS NOT A LIFE OR DEATH ISSUE AND ITS NOT LIKE YOUR OBESE SO EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FINE...
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by COMP235
GI GRACE!

YOU ARE ACTUALLY NOT FAT, AND THAT IS NOT ACCORDING TO ME OR YOU, BUT ITS ACTUALLY ACORDING TO THE NHS ITSELF. CALCULATE YOUR BMI HERE: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

I PUT IN THE INFO FOR YOU (YOU CAN TRY BY YOURSELF IF YOU WANT) AND EVERYTHING SEEMS NORMAL. YOU GOT A BMI OF 22.4. A BMI OF 25 IS OVERWEIGHT, AND YOU ARE FAR FAR AWAY FROM THAT, SO IF I WERE YOU I WOULDNT WORRY.
AFRAID OF LOOKING UNATTRACTVE? WELL PSYCHOLOGY SAYS THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY VIEW US 20% MORE ATTRACTIVE THEN WE THINK WE ARE, SO DONT WORRY. ITS NOT A LIFE OR DEATH ISSUE AND ITS NOT LIKE YOUR OBESE SO EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FINE...

i am fat...well my brother said i looked big so... yk. i just look chubby idk why:frown:
i am fat...well my brother said i looked big so... yk. i just look chubby idk why:frown:

dont listen to ur brother he's probably being a **** trust me ur perfectly fine and after u find the cause of ur severe bloating I promise you'll be great. But, if ur looking for workouts I recommend the Daisy Keech one or Oppserve's both provided quick results for me also running/walking for 15-30 minutes every day also helped a lot in general weight loss. It's also best to go on a calorie deficit so consume fewer calories than you burn. I still don't think you really need to because you don't sound 'fat' to me but if it makes you happier go for it.

Latest