anonbread
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Last edited by anonbread; 1 month ago
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You can't transfer medical schools in the UK, unfortunately. I know of one person who managed to transfer to a different uni but they had very exceptional circumstances.
anonbread
Rep:
(Original post by girl_in_black)
You can't transfer medical schools in the UK, unfortunately. I know of one person who managed to transfer to a different uni but they had very exceptional circumstances.
can I ask what uni this was as I guess its worth a try since I have ec that I didnt fully explain in student room since im not comfortable - if thats ok
girl_in_black
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonbread)
can I ask what uni this was as I guess its worth a try since I have ec that I didnt fully explain in student room since im not comfortable - if thats ok
It was one of the London unis; I think UCL. The person in question did extremely well academically though.,
girl_in_black
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
since ucl pass rate is 40%, which I got higher than 40% but my pass rate is 50% that I was close to but didnt get, do I have a shot at sending them my EC
I strongly suspect not.
anonbread
Rep:
I understand not ucl. does anyone know if any med skl (in the uk) will accept my ec and allow me to transfer. im feeling rlly lost and alone in this
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I understand not ucl. does anyone know if any med skl (in the uk) will accept my ec and allow me to transfer. im feeling rlly lost and alone in this
No because all med schools (maybe with the exception of linked med schools e.g. Nottingham and Lincoln, Aston and Leicester) have different curriculum so you'd have to start from the bottom.

Also they are not going to keep spaces for other students to transfer over - as you must know all med schools are filled to the brim and no contingency is in place for transferring in between them.
wiccan404
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No because all med schools (maybe with the exception of linked med schools e.g. Nottingham and Lincoln, Aston and Leicester) have different curriculum so you'd have to start from the bottom.

Also they are not going to keep spaces for other students to transfer over - as you must know all med schools are filled to the brim and no contingency is in place for transferring in between them.
I don't think linked med schools even accept transfers. I tried changing from leicester to aston, despite having medical circumstances, and they said no,
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wiccan404)
I don't think linked med schools even accept transfers. I tried changing from leicester to aston, despite having medical circumstances, and they said no,
Yes sure, I just meant curriculum-wise they are similar but yes they wouldn't just transfer students easily.
anonbread
Rep:
Yes sure, I just meant curriculum-wise they are similar but yes they wouldn't just transfer students easily.
would u recommend transferring abroad maybe Europe?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
would u recommend transferring abroad maybe Europe?
What are you looking at, at the moment?

Are you going to be released from your med school?
anonbread
Rep:
What are you looking at, at the moment?

Are you going to be released from your med school?
unfortunately yes and im finding it rlly hard to know what to do next
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
unfortunately yes and im finding it rlly hard to know what to do next
I'm sorry to hear. Unfortunately no UK med school will accept someone who has previously dropped out of a med school (for virtually whatever reason) so you'll have to study overseas.

I don't know whether they'll accept "transfers", as technically you haven't passed first year so you may have to start from scratch. I have no recommendations about which country is best - I usually advocate study where you want to work.
starrystudy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Apparently, a relative of my friend transferred from Imperial to St Georges after suffering from very bad mental health circumstances due to the course. I'm not sure if this is fully true since as ecolier mentioned med schools are filled to the brim. also this was ages ago I think

id advise talking to your personal tutor about this since they can probably aid you further? so sorry to hear xx
Last edited by starrystudy; 1 month ago
anonbread
Rep:
I'm sorry to hear. Unfortunately no UK med school will accept someone who has previously dropped out of a med school (for virtually whatever reason) so you'll have to study overseas.

I don't know whether they'll accept "transfers", as technically you haven't passed first year so you may have to start from scratch. I have no recommendations about which country is best - I usually advocate study where you want to work.
uk med skills not accepting someone who has previously dropped out of a med school- is this an official rule like by the gmc or ?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
uk med skills not accepting someone who has previously dropped out of a med school- is this an official rule like by the gmc or ?
I don't know if there's an official rule, but all UK med schools will treat any student who have ever studied medicine elsewhere (and left) as a massive red flag.
girl_in_black
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure (at least some) med schools have it in their admission criteria.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
hi, I was just wondering whether u had any advice on this situation other than applying abroad. just for context, already finished 2 years post a-level which includes 1 year of medicine before leaving this year.
Advice regarding...?

What is your aim other than transferring to another UK med school (because that's impossible)?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
honestly just to be able to continue to study medicine and I feel like the past 2 yrs have been wasted so feeling a bit lost. and going abroad, although cheaper than my last uni, is still self funded and they only accept from 1st yr which is fine but their course is 6 yrs long. but just to be Able to continue to study med is what I want, and ideally in the uk -would have been perfect
Well you definitely can't transfer (especially if you have failed your exams) so your only possible course of action is to appeal to your current Uni.

What have you done so far? Appeal? Complain? Get a lawyer etc.? How far have you escalated?
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I cant appeal as even the academic tutor told me it can take up to years for a decision to come. as well as there being no basis to appeal on. so there's also no basis to get a lawyer or make a complaint or anything.
Why don't you have a basis? What's your side of the story leading to failure?

Of course the med school will tell you not to appeal, it's in their interests that you don't!

I would have been able to transfer to a med skl in Scotland but the only thing that stopped me from this is my a levels which is ABB, if it was AAA then I wouldve been able to. (ik these grades are low, I never sat the exams in 2020 and these are my predicted I got, and instead of doing the winter exams I went to qm malta since the grades I got has ec circumstances - whole other story)
How would you have been able to transfer? Med schools in Scotland are as competitive (if not more) and they don't specifically leave seats for people to transfer to.

Can you not study at QMUL Malta?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (24)
18.32%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
23.66%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (71)
54.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.82%

Watched Threads