Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Backpacking Europe Summer '09 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Me and my friends are hoping to do something similiar to this around europe next summer. Much smaller in scale obviously;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY

(For charity)
    Matt Harding is a lucky *******. fantasticc video though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Matt Harding is a lucky *******. fantasticc video though.
    I'm not jealous, mostly because he's an absolute c*ck.

He's unbelievably arrogant and rude. Not bothered in the slightest about him!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going off to Europe next year altho I'm hitching and not using any public transport.

Aiming to cover France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and then stopping in Poland for a while before making the return route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    I'm going off to Europe next year altho I'm hitching and not using any public transport.

Aiming to cover France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and then stopping in Poland for a while before making the return route.

.....for the whole year?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for about a month, maybe 2.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for about a month, maybe 2.

right. and a reverse return route?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by stefano)
    why switzerland
    I went there with my Primary School 8 1/2 years ago and have always wanted to go back again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy_Holidays)
    I went there with my Primary School 8 1/2 years ago and have always wanted to go back again.
    Switzerland would be a fantastic place to go, thinking about it. Try and get to Austria as well though, there are some lovely places there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    My friend proposed an incredibly interesting (if near-impossible) proposal, to cycle from London to Morocco, via France and Spain. Would be the best thing in the world.
    that would be ace biking it around europe, for me id go from manchester, to paris, then across to amsterdam, cologne, frankfurt, stuttgart, munich, salzburg, milan, bern, zurich then **** off back to manchester on the plane ;D

ReputationRep:
    How light are you guys preparing to travel?
    I was gonna get a 65-75 litre travelpack with a zip on day pack, but I have read on a number of different websites that a smaller pack of about 40 litres will make the trip more enjoyable.
    (I'm going for 4-5 weeks)

ReputationRep:
    How light are you guys preparing to travel?
    I was gonna get a 65-75 litre travelpack with a zip on day pack, but I have read on a number of different websites that a smaller pack of about 40 litres will make the trip more enjoyable.
    (I'm going for 4-5 weeks)
    I've taken a 65L pack on the road for three months at a time. It's more about the weight and how you packed it. Keep the heavy stuff at the bottom where possible and use the waist and shoulder straps to help spread the weight.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken a 65L pack on the road for three months at a time. It's more about the weight and how you packed it. Keep the heavy stuff at the bottom where possible and use the waist and shoulder straps to help spread the weight.
    That is the first time I have come across that packing tip so thanks for that, it makes a lot of sense.
    So 65L is your preference for that amount of time.
    Do you have a recommended place to buy a pack from? I have been overcome by the amount of choice on the internet.
    (BTW I Just replied to your thread about sleeping by side of road, and then found you just posted this. Coincidence lol)

ReputationRep:
    So 65L is your preference for that amount of time.
    Do you have a recommended place to buy a pack from?
    (BTW I Just replied to your thread about sleeping by side of road, and then found you just posted this. Coincidence lol)
    I can't really recommend a place to buy from aside from going to the shop and trying one on. Shop around. As I'm quite tall I found some straps and bags fitted better than others.

Another tip I learnt the hard way is get one with strong beefy zips and buckles. I've had them break on the road and it's such a pain to bodge them and re pack the sack to a pocket that will zip and seal up!

ReputationRep:
    HH is the chap to listen to on this sort of stuff.

I went interrailing with a 70litre I think. It wasn't a problem by the end of it, although it was a bit of a pain in the first few days. Thankfully at that point I was fairly fit already. Don't take more than you need. In fact revise what you need such that you can take less It's more complicated if you deccide to camp, as I did. A tent and sleeping bag take up a lot of room. I took a tiny sleeping bag and nearly froze, but it was worth the discomfort just so that I could cram more stuff in the sleeping bag compartment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    HH is the chap to listen to on this sort of stuff.

I went interrailing with a 70litre I think. It wasn't a problem by the end of it, although it was a bit of a pain in the first few days. Thankfully at that point I was fairly fit already. Don't take more than you need. In fact revise what you need such that you can take less It's more complicated if you decide to camp, as I did. A tent and sleeping bag take up a lot of room. I took a tiny sleeping bag and nearly froze, but it was worth the discomfort just so that I could cram more stuff in the sleeping bag compartment.
    For sure, a tent is the biggest killer size and weight wise. It's why I switched to a bivvy bag during the summer.

Good advice too in that you should only take what you really need.

I take a few emergency 'JIC' (just in case) items like a fire lighter and some tinder in a waterproof tin. Even in summer I bag anything in my bag's main compartment into plastic carrier bags, each with a diffrent colour and a warm/cool change of clothes on the top. Pack lighter and go further

ReputationRep:
    For sure, a tent is the biggest killer size and weight wise. It's why I switched to a bivvy bag during the summer.

Good advice too in that you should only take what you really need.

I take a few emergency 'JIC' (just in case) items like a fire lighter and some tinder in a waterproof tin. Even in summer I bag anything in my bag's main compartment into plastic carrier bags, each with a diffrent colour and a warm/cool change of clothes on the top. Pack lighter and go further
    I am seriously considering switching to a bivvy bag if I ever do end up having to camp again. Granted it'd be awkward using it at a campsite, but if I'm going back to scandinavia, camping rough won't be a problem. And I want to walk round Unst soon, that'd be a bivvy job.

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about it but will probably do Chile/Argentina/Peru/some of North America (depends on if I do New York/Montreal this spring), as I might be going to Europe in October '09 anyways. But I would really like to do Trans-Siberia at some point! I have most definitely caught the travelling bug!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    that would be ace biking it around europe, for me id go from manchester, to paris, then across to amsterdam, cologne, frankfurt, stuttgart, munich, salzburg, milan, bern, zurich then **** off back to manchester on the plane ;D
    Apparantly Italy is a complete ***** to ride through though, so i think thats probably gonna get a miss. I've always wanted to see Egypt tho.

I am...but interrailing, was going to this year,but couldnt

ReputationRep:
    I'm going interrailing after graduation, so the end of July and August with 3 friends. We're flying to Paris, spending a few days there and then starting our interrailing ticket, ending in Amsterdam, spending a few days again then flying back, so should be gone about 5 weeks in total.

My ideal route at the moment is Paris, Interlaken, venice, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Berlin and Amsterdam but I'm not sure how practical that is.

I'm planning on taking a year out to go round the world so this is just a taster. I'm so excited already!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.