Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Backpacking Europe Summer '09 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    Apparantly Italy is a complete ***** to ride through though, so i think thats probably gonna get a miss. I've always wanted to see Egypt tho.
    Some times things going wrong is half the fun.

Except when trains are involved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    Some times things going wrong is half the fun.

Except when trains are involved!
    Even when trains are involved :hmmm:

(Original post by xoxo_GossipGirl)
    I'm going interrailing after graduation, so the end of July and August with 3 friends. We're flying to Paris, spending a few days there and then starting our interrailing ticket, ending in Amsterdam, spending a few days again then flying back, so should be gone about 5 weeks in total.

My ideal route at the moment is Paris, Interlaken, venice, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Berlin and Amsterdam but I'm not sure how practical that is.

I'm planning on taking a year out to go round the world so this is just a taster. I'm so excited already!
    Yeah, you could just about do that in a month, excluding Paris and Amsterdam. Sounds like a nice trip

ReputationRep:
    me and a friend decided (yesterday, but it will happen) that we're going to inter rail around europe this summer

over 10 days : we fly to paris from exeter, then interrail > amsterdam > berlin > prague > vienna > back to paris (where one of the attractions will be disneyland ) then fly back to exeter

its going to be so good, and such a great sumemr just before university

ReputationRep:
    That's a lot to do in 10 days :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    That's a lot to do in 10 days :p:
    yer i know :p: from the train times we get a full day and late afternoon/morning in each place, which should be enough to get a taster for each place if we plan our time well. exception is paris where we get pretty much 3 full days at the end, were going disneyland lol.

we'd both like to do more but can't due to work only letting us have a week off

ReputationRep:
    Well remember that sometimes it is better to visit less places but see more of them Mind you, I need to take my own advice from time to time, I know exactly how you feel :p:

ReputationRep:
    am going interrailing with at least 2, maybe three people. we're going to (in order) barcelona, marseilles, paris, berlin, switzerland (not sure where yet), rome, venice, austria, croatia (somewhere beside a beach we can collapse on! :p: ). Am soooo excited already, particuarly about Italy, i've been desperate to go since p6 but never had the chance

ReputationRep:
    Last summer I interrailed going Warsaw, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Rome, Munich, Berlin.

This year I am thinking of either interrailing again but starting in Poland and going Eastern, and therefore cheaper. Or perhaps go hiking in either the pyrenees or the black forest in Germany. Might save that till the year after however when money is even tighter.

Regarding rucksacks I have a 65L one which suits me fine. The secret is to pack light and be prepared to do a bit of washing in hostel sinks. I took 2 shirts + 3 t shirts and a weeks worth of boxers for 3 weeks travelling.

One point worth bearing in my about rucksacks is the size of the frame. If you are any shape/height other than an average male it is worth going to Blacks and getting them to pick one with either an adjustable frame or a shorter frame to suit you. I am told this makes such a difference by my sister who did D of E using my rucksack and then got her own smaller one.

ReputationRep:
    if you're just going on trains, is there any advantage to having a backpack over just a suitcase?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. A suitcase can be incredibly cumbersome and remember that you will have to walk to a hostel at some point. A backpack on wheels might be a good compromise, although they are usually hell on earth to carry. Just take a backpack and don't pack too much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. A suitcase can be incredibly cumbersome and remember that you will have to walk to a hostel at some point. A backpack on wheels might be a good compromise, although they are usually hell on earth to carry. Just take a backpack and don't pack too much.
    thanks ive already got a 60/65 litre backpack for walking, so i'll just use that. suppose it shouldn't be anywhere near as heavy as when you're going camping anyway.

ReputationRep:
    aggghhh i'm so excited. i'd go tomorrow if i had enough money. hope to visit as many places as possible, but i don't want to diminish the experience by rushing any one place. eeeee

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on going interrailing last year but it never happened so really want to do it this year. My route is currently:

Glasgow - Copenhagen - Berlin - Krakow - Prague - Vienna - Lake Garda - Florence - Rome and then either to Greece or back home.

How does that look? It'd be a month ticket I get.

I'd be going alone which is quite scary, never done anything like it before.
    There's also the money issue

ReputationRep:
    Yeah wouldn't recommend a suitcase at all. I didn't have a backpack though so just took a holdall/sports bag with me and that was fine. If you do that good idea to have a day bag aswell just to distribute the weight and obviously take around with you in the day. I've seen some shops do holdalls which can be carried like a backpack too

ReputationRep:
    Don't take a suitcase you will look silly..

(Original post by Inconceivable)
    I was planning on going interrailing last year but it never happened so really want to do it this year. My route is currently:

Glasgow - Copenhagen - Berlin - Krakow - Prague - Vienna - Lake Garda - Florence - Rome and then either to Greece or back home.
    I would advise you look at a rail map to get the smoothest order although I reckon that route isn't bad provided you can go direct from Berlin to Krakow.

Also worth researching Greece as I have heard it's difficult to get trains there.

Don't want to be all negative and put you off though, it's great fun!

Cities sound good, if you want hostel reccommendations I would say Berlin (Jetpack), Prague (Sokolska Youth), Vienna (Ruthensteiner) & Rome (Bella Roma). Hostelworld will become your friend if you want to book online before you go which is definitely useful although probably less of an issue if your travelling alone.

ReputationRep:
    I had a backpack (massive one, too big really, but I did get tent and sleeping bag in it) on my back and a little daypack in which I carried food and so on on my front. It was designed such that if my backpack got stolen then I could keep on going on just the little one. All the really important stuff was strapped about my person and everything that couldn't be strapped was in my daypack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Funk)
    Don't take a suitcase you will look silly..

I would advise you look at a rail map to get the smoothest order although I reckon that route isn't bad provided you can go direct from Berlin to Krakow.

Also worth researching Greece as I have heard it's difficult to get trains there.

Don't want to be all negative and put you off though, it's great fun!

Cities sound good, if you want hostel reccommendations I would say Berlin (Jetpack), Prague (Sokolska Youth), Vienna (Ruthensteiner) & Rome (Bella Roma). Hostelworld will become your friend if you want to book online before you go which is definitely useful although probably less of an issue if your travelling alone.
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone,
    i really want to go this europe-ing this summer, and have got some money already altohugh not as much as i'd like, just have to talk my parents around it now! thinking about interrail, it looks really good and simple but i'm not sure if it will suit my trip style best...
    my parents are concerned mostly about me going by myself, but since researching it there seems to be so many solo female travellers out there who didn't get horrifically murdered! :rolleyes:
    and also it seems there will be lots of other travellers around so easy to meet people (especially if i'm going to hostels). but still might be nice to know some people that are going to be around vaguely before i head off! who knows i might meet someone on the first day with the exact same plans as me... but i'm totally fine with travelling by myself, actually i think i'd prefer it, one of the main reasons i'm going is to just get away from everyone (i've felt quite smothered recently!) and just be independant....
    haven't decided on a definite trip plan yet, i'm thinking a starting point might be to plan it around some various european festivals, pamplona, berlin love festival, etc etc.... la tomatina is a must for me!!!
    what are your plans/ideas/ideals for your trips???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x~Silky~x)
    hi everyone,
    i really want to go this europe-ing this summer, and have got some money already altohugh not as much as i'd like, just have to talk my parents around it now! thinking about interrail, it looks really good and simple but i'm not sure if it will suit my trip style best...
    my parents are concerned mostly about me going by myself, but since researching it there seems to be so many solo female travellers out there who didn't get horrifically murdered! :rolleyes:
    and also it seems there will be lots of other travellers around so easy to meet people (especially if i'm going to hostels). but still might be nice to know some people that are going to be around vaguely before i head off! who knows i might meet someone on the first day with the exact same plans as me... but i'm totally fine with travelling by myself, actually i think i'd prefer it, one of the main reasons i'm going is to just get away from everyone (i've felt quite smothered recently!) and just be independant....
    haven't decided on a definite trip plan yet, i'm thinking a starting point might be to plan it around some various european festivals, pamplona, berlin love festival, etc etc.... la tomatina is a must for me!!!
    what are your plans/ideas/ideals for your trips???
    I've been travelling around Europe four times now, by myself, and I'm still alive. So yeah, no worries about going by yourself.

And if I was to go on a trip around Europe next summer, I'd do the following:

Start in Budapest and spend a week there in the Sziget Festival. Then go to Ukraine (Kiev and the Black Sea coast). From there on to Moldova and Romania. Then Macedonia, Bulgaria and then end my trip in Istanbul. It'd be a five-week trip. Without an interrail ticket, as it's cheaper without, and it's not even valid in Ukraine anyway. Alone, or with a friend, but it couldn't be just anyone as I do quite like travelling by myself.

But this is definitely not going to happen as I really should work to survive another year at uni instead of having fun. I'm serious. Nah, I probably won't be able to resist it, to good a plan to forget about.

ReputationRep:
    Going interrailing in the summer... tis going to be awesome.
    Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Zagreb

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.