Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the law state that our PM be a British citizen from BIRTH? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is something that I have been thinking of for sometime and a lot more since the thick of the US elections got going.

I know we have a Head of State (the Queen), who was born in Britain, but don't you think that the person elected to be the leaders of British political parties should be British from birth, so that should they one day become PM, they would be British?

I mean surely the person elected to serve in the highest office should be British born.

Consider this: Mr Y was born in Canada to two Canadian parents (sorry Canadians- first country that popped into my mind), and migrated to Britain aged 20. Ten years after that he became an MP, and at 35 was elected the leader of his party, soon to become the PM. We would have a Canadian PM here in Britain.

I dont think thats right, do you?

ReputationRep:
    Who cares where they were born. If they get elected, they are ovbiously best.

I do think americans should allow someone to be president even if they are not originally an american citizen.

Why? - someone could have the best policies.... yet the country gets stuck with some other douche. If its really an issue to some voters.. then they can jsut vote for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be limited to those of british citizenship from birth or those who have lived here for 30 years at least if not more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeDalchow)
    Who cares where they were born. If they get elected, they are ovbiously best.

I do think americans should allow someone to be president even if they are not originally an american citizen.

Why? - someone could have the best policies.... yet the country gets stuck with some other douche. If its really an issue to some voters.. then they can jsut vote for someone else.
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    no, i dont think that would be right

but i do think they should have resided in the UK for 10+ years

ReputationRep:
    No, **** this jingoistic ****.

ReputationRep:
    I think the public should decide, after all that is the point of elections.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the point of this thread?
    Your scenario has never happened before, and it is unlikely a non-Brit would ever become an MP, let alone PM.

ReputationRep:
    No, no, no.

Absolute tosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    No, **** this jingoistic ****.
    It's not jingoism at all. That's ridiculous.
    OP: I think you should have to have 2 British (not English, but British, but I do mean in England, to be the PM of England) parents and be raised in Britain (not neccessarily born, people with parents in the armed forces are often born overseas).

Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    If I moved to Canada and made that my home I would feel rather hard done by if I was barred from standing for election there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeDalchow)
    Who cares where they were born. If they get elected, they are obviously best.

I do think Americans should allow someone to be president even if they are not originally an American citizen.

Why? - someone could have the best policies.... yet the country gets stuck with some other douche. If its really an issue to some voters.. then they can just vote for someone else.
    After reading the question I originally thought yes but after reading leedalchows post I totally agree with them, anyone should be able to run for leadership, if you don't like their policies, or you think they aren't the best for the job, then don't vote for them, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    ...to be the PM of England...
    What? That office has never, ever existed.

Does that make sense?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It's not jingoism at all. That's ridiculous.
    Well it is overly nationalistic, and frankly pointless. Hence jingoistic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i agree potential PMs of this country should have been born here, there's nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danules)
    I think it should be limited to those of british citizenship from birth or those who have lived here for 30 years at least if not more.
    Yh thats sounds better, but not 30 yrs. I would say a minimum of 10 yrs.

ReputationRep:
    No. Why is a foreign-born British citizen who has integrated with British culture and done very well any less qualified to run the country than someone who is less intelligent and less culturally British? It defies logic and reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    no, i dont think that would be right

but i do think they should have resided in the UK for 10+ years
    This sounds pretty reasonable. I don't really care where someone was born, that alone won't affect their ability to do a good job as PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    This is something that I have been thinking of for sometime and a lot more since the thick of the US elections got going.

I know we have a Head of State (the Queen), who was born in Britain, but don't you think that the person elected to be the leaders of British political parties should be British from birth, so that should they one day become PM, they would be British?

I mean surely the person elected to serve in the highest office should be British born.

Consider this: Mr Y was born in Canada to two Canadian parents (sorry Canadians- first country that popped into my mind), and migrated to Britain aged 20. Ten years after that he became an MP, and at 35 was elected the leader of his party, soon to become the PM. We would have a Canadian PM here in Britain.

I dont think thats right, do you?
    And, you are, one individual residing in the whole population of England.
    Consider that Mr Y, was the best politician and best economist in the World.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    This sounds pretty reasonable. I don't really care where someone was born, that alone won't affect their ability to do a good job as PM
    if anything, being born there and maybe raised abroad (particularly third world) could be of benefit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.