Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the law state that our PM be a British citizen from BIRTH? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    No. Why is a foreign-born British citizen who has integrated with British culture and done very well any less qualified to run the country than someone who is less intelligent and less culturally British? It defies logic and reason.
    I sincerely hope that statement in your signature has nothing to do with me.

ReputationRep:
    There are some people who believe you should be British to be the Prime Minister of Britain. Some people don't think that's necessary.

Surely non-British people should be allowed to become MPs and aim to become the Prime Minister, and if it's really such a big deal that they aren't British, then people don't have to vote for them?

Although I don't see why being born as a non-British person makes any difference to your ability to run this country. Because if you've been brought up here, and you know the way this country works, having had a different passprt when you were younger... well why does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I sincerely hope that statement in your signature has nothing to do with me.
    Not intentionally. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Not intentionally. :nah:
    Good...cause I was racking my brains trying to work out how I'd pissed you off :p:

ReputationRep:
    It was bound to generate drama eventually... delicious.

ReputationRep:
    British from birth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    What? That office has never, ever existed.

No.

Damn. I wrote this reply in about 3 different instances. Will elaborate in a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the point in these restrictions - if somebody is good enough to join in a party and be chosen to head it, and gets that party elected then he/she deserves to be PM due to the votes of the people.

In my eyes, restrictions and prerequisites only limit democracy and the extent to which the people truly decide!

ReputationRep:
    and do without Peter Hain? I think not my friend. I have no problem with someone being born abroad becoming PM or MPs. They don't decide where they're born, but they decide to live here and make Britain better, more honourable than just say ending up here because of birth and not choice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see how being born British qualifies you to be Prime Minister?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    Its my opinion. I believe we should have a leader who is either British through birth or because they're parents are British.

Im not gonna change my mind, no matter how long you lecture me.
    Hahaha - yeh, I know. But if you didn't want a discussion or opinions, then you shouldn't have created a thread :nah:

So far you have failed to defeat any one of the many arguments put across in this thread (well, in fact, you have failed to engage in any argument in the first place) and have chosen to hold steadfastly onto your belief, without logic or reason that would persuade me to at the very least respect your opinion. Think what you will, but a great country is not made by people such as yourself, who simply choose to ignore coherent arguments and make no attempt to question or criticize their own theory and ways of doing things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.