What should I do ?

Watch this thread
peteryoungy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So failed my yr12 mock exams.

I am now predicted

A* - Economic
A - Computer Science
C - Maths

I am good at Maths I got 8 in GCSE Maths but now I am now failing. I am not sure what I should do ? What I am now predicted this will allow to me to go to the lower rank unis. I am doing as much extra - curricular before I start on my PS. Now is it worth it ? I am not sure when I can have another attempt on a mock exam in order to increase my prediction. I have heard the rumour of how we can have another attempt so the predicted grades can get boosted up. If this is what I am predicted extra curricular will be a waste of time and the lower rank wouldn't need a lot of extra curricular.

Any advise ?
Last edited by peteryoungy; 1 month ago
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Talk to your teachers about it and see if there's something you can do to increase your grade. Maybe ask them if you can do a resit under exam conditions. I don't think it's too late. Some people in my year had their predicted grades changed in year 13. As long as you do something about it before you submit your UCAS application you still have time.

If you're struggling with maths, maybe consider getting a tutor. Make sure you do as much practice (including timed exam Q practice) as you can and if you don't understand something make sure you ask your teachers as many Qs as you need to to understand the topic at hand.

Don't give up yet! Good luck
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My first observation would be that to say "I got 8 in GCSE Maths but now I am now failing" is a somewhat of an exaggeration. Being predicted a C at A level when you were hoping for a better prediction is not "failing".

Step 1. You say, "I have heard the rumour of how we can have another attempt so the predicted grades can get boosted up." Follow-up on that. Don't rely on rumours. Talk to your Maths teacher, or Head of Maths, or whoever might know the answer. If there is another opportunity, then do everything to can to take advantage of it.

Step 2. Take a took at what universities it would still be worth applying to with A*AC predicted grades. Although Oxbridge (and some others) might be out, not every other university in the country can be lumped into a "lower rank unis" bucket. Apply to these universities using you predicted grades. If you get no offers, you haven't lost anything (except a bit on time completing the UCAS form). However, you might get lucky - either with offers via the main scheme or via Extra or Clearing.

Step 3. If step 2 doesn't result in any offers you're happy with, but you manage to secure the grades you were hoping for on results day, then take a gap year and re-apply with you actual grades instead.

I can't really comment on the "extra circulars" part of your question, as the need to these will vary considerably depending on the course and university. I know Oxbridge say they pay no attention to "extra circulars" (captaining a sports team, doing DofE, etc.) and are only interested in what they call "super circulars" whereby you extend your academic knowledge by further reading, on-line courses, work experience, etc.
peteryoungy
Rep:
Thanks for your reply.

That what my friend told me as he is in a similar position.

I am looking out for uni that only reuqest a certain amount of ucas points. I am predicted 128.

E.G. Middlessex Uni wants 112 points but I will most likely get 128. Would I still get in ?

I also don't want to be wasting time as it annoys me how some will be graduating 1 year earlier than me and I have to wait another whole year until its my turn.

I spoke to the Uni that I want to go and they don't need a lot of extra curricular they want me to meet the requirments.

Also can I tell my teacher to increase my prediction by 2. I got a D but might be generous enough to push it to a B. I can tell that I got an 8 at GCSE maths and may have faith on me that I will get a B.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peteryoungy)
Thanks for your reply.

That what my friend told me as he is in a similar position.

I am looking out for uni that only reuqest a certain amount of ucas points. I am predicted 128.

E.G. Middlessex Uni wants 112 points but I will most likely get 128. Would I still get in ?

I also don't want to be wasting time as it annoys me how some will be graduating 1 year earlier than me and I have to wait another whole year until its my turn.

I spoke to the Uni that I want to go and they don't need a lot of extra curricular they want me to meet the requirments.

Also can I tell my teacher to increase my prediction by 2. I got a D but might be generous enough to push it to a B. I can tell that I got an 8 at GCSE maths and may have faith on me that I will get a B.
No, you can't "tell" your teacher to predict you a B. Considering that you only achieved a D in your recent exams even a C is pushing it.
peteryoungy
Rep:
I achieved D. The average was 20 in which I got above average by 3 marks. They know that a C will have a little chance on me. If they predict me a B but with after school intervention I will accept it.

Ok its official. There will be an optional resit to increase predicted grades.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I achieved D. The average was 20 in which I got above average by 3 marks. They know that a C will have a little chance on me. If they predict me a B but with after school intervention I will accept it.

The reality is that because teachers are not acting professionally and predicting foolish grades the whole system is falling apart. In the last exam year in 2019 75% of students did not achieve their predicted grades. This has made making offers extremely difficult for universities and many now dont even look at predictions because they know the system is totally false. Teachers are meant to be professionals and need to act and only predict what is reasonable not making higher predictions to get student offers. If you achieved a D that is what should be predicted unless a teacher has reasonable grounds to do otherwise.

We have had 2 years of teacher assessed grades. They assessed 3 times the number of A*s that examiners gave in 2019. The result of these irresponsible teachers is that large amounts of students are facing large scale rejections this year.
peteryoungy
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The reality is that because teachers are not acting professionally and predicting foolish grades the whole system is falling apart. In the last exam year in 2019 75% of students did not achieve their predicted grades. This has made making offers extremely difficult for universities and many now dont even look at predictions because they know the system is totally false. Teachers are meant to be professionals and need to act and only predict what is reasonable not making higher predictions to get student offers. If you achieved a D that is what should be predicted unless a teacher has reasonable grounds to do otherwise.

We have had 2 years of teacher assessed grades. They assessed 3 times the number of A*s that examiners gave in 2019. The result of these irresponsible teachers is that large amounts of students are facing large scale rejections this year.
I got a D today. My real A-Level is in a years time. Do you think that I will stay on that grade. I am posting it so I care I am hoping to get at least B at the end. At my Maths GCSE I got 5 and then and then in the real one I came out with 8 in the space of 6 months. Surely its possible if I provide evidence.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I got a D today. My real A-Level is in a years time. Do you think that I will stay on that grade. I am posting it so I care I am hoping to get at least B at the end. At my Maths GCSE I got 5 and then and then in the real one I came out with 8 in the space of 6 months. Surely its possible if I provide evidence.
Yes it is possible to increase 2 grades but the evidence you have produced shows you are a D. That is the evidence. Anybody can claim they will do better but any responsible teacher would say no you havent proved otherwise this is what I expect. If at results stage you have proved otherwise and actually achieved a higher grade you then apply through clearing with the actual grade or take a gap year and apply the following year. That is how it is meant to be.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This optional resit is what you should focus all your efforts in right now, as it will provide evidence (to both you and your teacher, and hence the universities via you predicted grade) of what you are capable of achieving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads