Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi

ive been hearing the term

but surely it cant be true

because that would mean that the uni would accept you no matter what grade you got

to my knowledge its

conditional (in other words a place - (if u get the grades) )
    rejected (erm u didnt get a place)

am i right

or is there a third

"unconditional offer"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical17)
    hi

ive been hearing the term

but surely it cant be true

because that would mean that the uni would accept you no matter what grade you got

to my knowledge its

conditional (in other words a place - (if u get the grades) )
    rejected (erm u didnt get a place)

am i right

or is there a third

"unconditional offer"
    e.g, i am in a uni for first year. I want to switch to differnt uni for second year. I got enough A levels, i get unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    Say if you took a year out after A-Levels, then applied for uni, and you already had their wanted grades, what more would you be waiting for?

There are some unconditionals that aren't totally unconditional - for example, nursing, or child-based courses will issue uncondition upon receipt of an accepted CRB Clearance.

ReputationRep:
    Guy repeating in my year got rejected for medicine with 3 As and a B at as , has unconditional this year for Manchester I think.

ReputationRep:
    if u already have a levels then there is no point giving a conditional offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheemaj187)
    Yes there is.

If, like me, you have completed your A-levels and meet or exceed the entry requirements, you will most likely receive an unconditional offer.
    :ditto:

Remember, you only choose an unconditional firm, with no insurance, or a conditional firm with an u/c insurance if you receive that kind of offer.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional applies to gap year students, mature students and transfers...

:clip:

ReputationRep:
    Christ Church, Ox give out EE offers (sparingly), that's as good as an unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    They are normally only offered to people who already have A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    I think alot of art students get unconditionals because its their portfolios which are kinda the way to prove their talent, gap year students usually get it aswell

Christ Church, Ox give out EE offers (sparingly), that's as good as an unconditional.
    yeah soemone in my 6th form got that a three years ago.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i took a summer university course at aberystwyth university last year, and was given an unconditional offer when i passed the course.

ReputationRep:
    My cousins friend last year was AAAAA all at full marks and he got 3 unconditionals only place not from was Oxford and York he got unconditional from Sussex Birmingham and Hull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)

Not true. I know plenty of people who have received Unconditional offers from reputable universities, such as Edinburgh, and had yet to sit their A-Levels at the time of receiving said offer.

Unconditionals are possible at any level, it just depends on the uni and the department.

ReputationRep:
    In Scotland unconditionals are much more common than in the rest of the UK as the Scottish education system leaves the universities asking for Highers and a fair proportion of students sit Advanced Highers the year after (and thus during the year they are applying to universities).

English Universities don't tend to accept highers for entry at first year level, although I can't say for all cases.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional probably has more importance up here in Scotland, most people in 6th year (year 13 I think in England) already have the entry requirements for uni by 5th year, so they are often given unconditionals, obviously depending on the competition of the course, minimum entry requirements, etc. The people that get conditionals either don't meet the entry requirements and need to re-sit a few subjects/take new subjects

ReputationRep:

And Scottish people :p:

ReputationRep:

or extra, extra clever people :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Not true. I know plenty of people who have received Unconditional offers from reputable universities, such as Edinburgh, and had yet to sit their A-Levels at the time of receiving said offer.

Unconditionals are possible at any level, it just depends on the uni and the department.
    I knew someone would get me for that, i meant "usually applies" and you shouldn't be worrying about unconditionals if you're a normal candidate...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.