Applying to university without any summer school or workshop opportunities

Watch this thread
Mirai227
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm applying to university soon, and I have heard that summer schools and workshops are really good for showing your interest in a subject. Unfortunately, I will be abroad for the entire summer, so I will be unable to attend any. Will this affect my application, particularly to more competitive universities? I might have opportunities next year (I'm taking a gap year) but all those opportunites seem to be reserved for year 12 students. Courses I am considering applying to: Philosophy, modern languages, linguistics, english and sociology.
Last edited by Mirai227; 1 month ago
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Most prospective students won’t have been to summer schools or their equivalents. I doubt it would affect your application unless these were related to expanding access schemes.

Far better to read around the subjects you are interested in, find out what they are about at degree level and be able to describe your interest.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Not essential at all and most people will not have done one either so don't worry.

Useful MOOCs (short free online courses on a wide range of topics) that will give you interesting topics to discuss in your PS - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses. Good reading etc list by subject from Cambridge - useful for all Unis - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....uggestions.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (54)
70.13%
In the post (3)
3.9%
Text (10)
12.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
12.99%

Watched Threads